Well since I have to work everyday until Thanksgiving I went ahead and got the water change done today since I don't have to go in until this evening. And then open tomorrow. As well getting some zucchini thawed out for the lovebirds and snails.

• Love 1

Good evening fellow nerms. I know it's been a couple of weeks since I made a post in this journal. But I have some very exciting news!

We have at least 2 new baby Cory's! Now it didn't happen in the actual Cory adventure tank. I was feeding and taking out what was left of old green beans in the 29gal killi tank and I spotted one! Then I spotted a second! I figured it made more sense to post a put it in here.

It's so crazy. I did notice about a month ago or so I watched a couple of the boys chasing around a girl. She seemed more round and full so that was my best guess. Well I never thought about it much after that. Until just now when I found a couple of little ones.

She must have hid the eggs very well since she layed them. They were able to hatch and survive without me noticing. And you can tell by the video they have to be at least 2 weeks old but I'm thinking more like a month old with how big they are and how much color they have. 

I've had a lot of firsts over the past 9 months but I think this may be the best first I have ever had in keeping fish. I'm not sure there may even be more hiding out in there.  In the video you can see the size comparison. This is what makes me think they have to be closer to a month old.

https://youtu.be/JOFAyNVh3nQ

IMG_20221125_175104850.jpg

Edited by TeeJay
  • Love 3

On 7/30/2022 at 7:24 AM, TeeJay said:

Having the morning coffee. Off work today. Just checking on our Cory friends. Having a little breakfast. Lest see how they look! Going to get a bit of Java moss and tink it into the one crack of the driftwood to see if I can get it to grow over the nice wide flat side and hopefully they will like to spawn it n it. The wood it will go down n is in the last pic. Alot of nice surface are to it. Will just have to keep it trimmed so it does not overgrown the Anubias. Great idea on this @nabokovfan87

IMG_20220730_072024175.jpg

IMG_20220730_071603071.jpg

IMG_20220730_070505721.jpg

IMG_20220730_072337173.jpg

Cory’s are so cute what ever they are doing

• Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 6:38 PM, Guppysnail said:

Congratulations 🎉 You have new grandkids everywhere 😍

Heck yeah! I'm still pinching myself. That they made it without all the eggs being eaten. I know they are notorious for that. But plenty of plants and hiding spots for some to make it. I would say it's way better to have it happen totally naturally without needing to pull eggs and all that. Just look in your tank one day and have babies. This is the first time I've ever had babies from egg layers 

• Love 4

On 11/25/2022 at 3:32 PM, TeeJay said:

We have at least 2 new baby Cory's! Now it didn't happen in the actual Cory adventure tank. I was feeding and taking out what was left of old green beans in the 29gal killi tank and I spotted one! Then I spotted a second! I figured it made more sense to post a put it in here.

It's so crazy. I did notice about a month ago or so I watched a couple of the boys chasing around a girl. She seemed more round and full so that was my best guess. Well I never thought about it much after that. Until just now when I found a couple of little ones.

She must have hid the eggs very well since she layed them. They were able to hatch and survive without me noticing. And you can tell by the video they have to be at least 2 weeks old but I'm thinking more like a month old with how big they are and how much color they have. 

very awesome! Congratulations!

Watching the parents care for the little juvenile corydoras is literally the best thing in the hobby for me.

• Love 2

On 11/26/2022 at 12:32 AM, TeeJay said:

Good evening fellow nerms. I know it's been a couple of weeks since I made a post in this journal. But I have some very exciting news!

I've had a lot of firsts over the past 9 months but I think this may be the best first I have ever had in keeping fish. I'm not sure there may even be more hiding out in there.  In the video you can see the size comparison. This is what makes me think they have to be closer to a month old.

https://youtu.be/JOFAyNVh3nQ

IMG_20221125_175104850.jpg

Huge congrats on a happy accident 😁!

On 11/13/2022 at 1:46 PM, TeeJay said:

The turkeys keep uprooting the crypt spiral so I had to replant again

Maybe you can wrap a plant weight around the stems, right above the substrate?

And I was reading and I thought I read something about baby cories. But no it can’t be. We did not even know you were expecting! 🙂 Isn’t that nice, you didn’t even have to intervene and nature ran its course and there they are. Thanks for sharing the cutest video ever.

• Love 1

On 11/26/2022 at 2:52 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

And I was reading and I thought I read something about baby cories. But no it can’t be. We did not even know you were expecting! 🙂 Isn’t that nice, you didn’t even have to intervene and nature ran its course and there they are. Thanks for sharing the cutest video ever.

Very fun stuff.  To be honest, corydoras can be like the zombies in 28 days later sometimes.... They just pop out of nowhere in waves 😂

• Haha 1

Well it's been a few weeks now since we added Luna to the killi tank to be the new love interest for Mr Lemony Snicket's. She has done very well moving in. I don't think it will take her long to get close to lemonys size. They is only one fry batch different in there ages so I think they will have a long happy life together. But don't grow and mature to fast. Still need a bit of time to get the 20 long grow out tank for there babies when the time comes. 

What I would ultimately like to do is get a rack/shelf system and put the 20 long the Cory tank and shrimp tank all on one in my dinning room. That's where the shrimp and Cory tanks are. Was thinking maybe one from Lowes or home Depot. Trying not to break the bank. Just big enough for the three tanks. 2 10s and 1 20 long. Anyone have any suggestions on what type of shelving unit?. Maybe just a touch longer than what a 20 long tank is.

• Like 2

I'm thinking about this shelving system. It will actually take less space than the 2 stands I have right now with the 2 10 gal shrimp and Cory tanks. I figure use the bottom shelf for storage. Next shelf up the 20 long them a 10 gallon on each of the next 2 shelves. Will give me 2-6" of clearance around the sides of the 20 long. And can hold 800lbs of weight per shelf. So double what I would need for a 20 long since it will be the biggest shelf on the tank. 

Screenshot_20221204-212129.png

• Thanks 1

Looks good. I would just try to make sure the tanks are resting on the metal and not the wood.  Corners on the metal I mean.  I'd have to check dimensions or I would suggest just having a board cut by the store to fit the shelves.  That one shown might not be fully supported?

Looks legit.

Weight Capacity (per shelf) (lbs.)

On 12/4/2022 at 10:09 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Looks good. I would just try to make sure the tanks are resting on the metal and not the wood.  Corners on the metal I mean.  I'd have to check dimensions or I would suggest just having a board cut by the store to fit the shelves.  That one shown might not be fully supported?

Looks legit.

Weight Capacity (per shelf) (lbs.)

I figure the 10 gal tanks would be ok if even in the center of the shelves. 

The 20 long would have roughly 6" on each end of the tank and 2" on each side of the tank front and back. So it wouldn't sit directly on the metal rails...hmmm never thought of that. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 7:19 PM, TeeJay said:

I figure the 10 gal tanks would be ok if even in the center of the shelves. 

The 20 long would have roughly 6" on each end of the tank and 2" on each side of the tank front and back. So it wouldn't sit directly on the metal rails...hmmm never thought of that. 

yeah, based on the specs, looks like it's not thin wood should be fully supported.

The rack does come in a variety of sizes. 12" deep, 14-18" deep, etc.

On 12/5/2022 at 1:06 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

yeah, based on the specs, looks like it's not thin wood should be fully supported.

The rack does come in a variety of sizes. 12" deep, 14-18" deep, etc.

Figure I can always upgrade the wood to a thicker plywood. For s premium though lol. But if I'm doing it I would rather beef it up the first time and now have to go back and move tanks to do it.

• Thanks 1

Just got an early Christmas present from my guy @nabokovfan87. Some new foams for the tidal 35 on the Cory tank and the tidal 55 on the killi tank. And an added bonus of some vibra bites. I have never tried these before so I'm curious to see if the wet friends like them. Ok @nabokovfan87 I'm gonna need the info on how to put these in and in what order.

IMG_20221205_175749968.jpg

• Like 1

Yay it arrived undamaged. 😂

On 12/5/2022 at 3:01 PM, TeeJay said:

Ok @nabokovfan87 I'm gonna need the info on how to put these in and in what order.

I run blue / black in that order. The green is there if you ever want to play with them. Additionally if you want more flow you can run blue blue.

Blue = course

Black = med

Green = fine (polish water)

On 12/5/2022 at 7:14 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yay it arrived undamaged. 😂

I run blue / black in that order. The green is there if you ever want to play with them. Additionally if you want more flow you can run blue blue.

Blue = course

Black = med

Green = fine (polish water)

Ok so blue on the bottom then black and then green if I want to try that. I'm sure I'm replacing the original blues with the blues you sent me correct?

• Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 4:19 PM, TeeJay said:

Ok so blue on the bottom then black and then green if I want to try that. I'm sure I'm replacing the original blues with the blues you sent me correct?

Yes. You would. Just clean the existing seachem foams out really good and let them dry, they'll be just fine.  To start, I would try just the blue/black. Then decide how it performs as far as fines. Potentially you want cleaner water or something and then would add the green.

Make sure you wash/rinse all the sponges before you use them, they weren't rinsed here and fresh from the package so you speak.

On the 35 you're going to have the extra piece to cover the window in the basket. In the 55 you might not have that piece but can make one it you need to. (On the 55 I closed mine off with silicone, on the 35 it's slightly easier to just use the sponge to cover it and usually performs just fine)

Edited by nabokovfan87