Just finished the water change on the killi tank. As of now I have taken at least 600 ramshorns out of that tank. I'm so blessed that I haven't had a crash in this tank from me letting them get out of control. I'm sure all that saved me was being pretty heavily planted, regular water changes and running 2 sponge filters and a hob.

Everyone is doing well though and I got pics of all the different tank makes. So here is a photo dump 🤗 and lemonys whiskers are coming in great.

IMG_20221226_183455026.jpg

IMG_20221226_183537919.jpg

IMG_20221226_183600792.jpg

IMG_20221226_183743953.jpg

IMG_20221226_183824055.jpg

IMG_20221226_183855253.jpg

IMG_20221226_183943306.jpg

IMG_20221226_184023673.jpg

IMG_20221226_184054167.jpg

IMG_20221226_185057247.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Was water change night for the Cory tank. As well as tidal 35 matinence. Cleared out some hornwort and guppy grass. Made sure to inspect it for ramshorns before I added it to the tote tank. And what do you know the crypt spirals I planted on either side of the potted flame sword are growing well now and starting to drape over the top of the water. 

IMG_20221227_184639965.jpg

• Like 2

Just finished the weekly water change on the shrimp sanctuary. I disassembled the slate rock cave and gave the gravel on that side of the tank a good cleaning. So much gunk build up. A bit ashamed of myself for letting it get that bad. Added some guppy grass in as well since they have never had that in there tank before. Less than 2 mins after I added it they were all on it like Christmas lights lol. 

I know with each water change the bacterial bloom oops up a bit more. But I have to  get all of that crud out before I can ever hope to be completely rid of it. 

IMG_20221227_170711448.jpg

IMG_20221227_185035472.jpg

• Like 2

So last Friday we got on the topic a little bit of how we like our coffee and what types/flavors. @Guppysnail showed us the coffee she likes. So today I get an Amazon package from one @Guppysnail and what is it but her coffee of choice! Thank you so much. I really want to try a cup this evening but I'm going to try and wait until morning to try it. 

IMG_20221228_165140234.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 2:07 PM, TeeJay said:

So last Friday we got on the topic a little bit of how we like our coffee and what types/flavors. @Guppysnail showed us the coffee she likes. So today I get an Amazon package from one @Guppysnail and what is it but her coffee of choice! Thank you so much. I really want to try a cup this evening but I'm going to try and wait until morning to try it. 

Do any of you have a grinder? I'm working on "modding mine" but I managed to get a hold of a Niche Zero. It's mostly because I appreciate the design. I keep eyeballing the baratza encores.

This is mine. Fish drying test station and my coffee stuff.

Today we are drinking some....

20221228_150651.JPG

20221228_150852.JPG

On 12/28/2022 at 6:04 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Do any of you have a grinder? I'm working on "modding mine" but I managed to get a hold of a Niche Zero. It's mostly because I appreciate the design. I keep eyeballing the baratza encores.

Yes I have a basic one I picked up at Wal Mart I believe. I think is made by Krupp. It works pretty good for as much as I use it.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 3:10 PM, TeeJay said:

Yes I have a basic one I picked up at Wal Mart I believe. I think is made by Krupp. It works pretty good for as much as I use it.

Yeah I need one like that for bigger batches. I have one of those cold brew containers but doing that off an espresso grinder is too much static and flecks go everywhere.  Sort of like trying to feed the fish and half the food ends up on the lid. 😞

If you ever want some beans to try out or look at would be fun to nudge you towards something.  If you've ever heard of James Hoffman he does a "world's largest coffee tasting" and that was super fun. Things like that I really enjoy participating in.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 6:13 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yeah I need one like that for bigger batches. I have one of those cold brew containers but doing that off an espresso grinder is too much static and flecks go everywhere.  Sort of like trying to feed the fish and half the food ends up on the lid. 😞

If you ever want some beans to try out or look at would be fun to nudge you towards something.  If you've ever heard of James Hoffman he does a "world's largest coffee tasting" and that was super fun. Things like that I really enjoy participating in.

No never heard of him before. I'm always down to try new flavors. Especially if I get to grind fresh beans

• Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 7:14 PM, TeeJay said:

Added some guppy grass in as well since they have never had that in there tank before. Less than 2 mins after I added it they were all on it like Christmas lights

Mine do the same with water sprite or anacharis. They like being up higher in the water column.

On 12/28/2022 at 6:04 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Do any of you have a grinder? I'm working on "modding mine"

Must you mod everything?! 🤣

Used to have a grinder years ago. Moved out of a place and I believe I forgot it there. I liked it though and remember using it often.

I’m a big fan of Stok cold brew. Tried a different brand and ended up going back to Stok. I only buy it when there is a decent sale on it though. 

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 6:37 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Must you mod everything?! 🤣

Technically it's been sitting for 6 months?  It's my first wood working media project.  I have to remove the stain and then re-stain the wood accents.  I purchased an extra kit. 

The default ones I have, for whatever reason are super dry and splintering, so either way I need to remove them, sand it, etc.  this was just easier.

On 12/28/2022 at 6:37 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I’m a big fan of Stok cold brew. Tried a different brand and ended up going back to Stok. I only buy it when there is a decent sale on it though. 

Agreed.  Cheap cold brew that tastes decent.... Almost as good as making it out of the "good stuff" from the fancy roasters. LOL.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 11:05 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Technically it's been sitting for 6 months?  It's my first wood working media project.  I have to remove the stain and then re-stain the wood accents.  I purchased an extra kit. 

The default ones I have, for whatever reason are super dry and splintering, so either way I need to remove them, sand it, etc.  this was just easier.

Agreed.  Cheap cold brew that tastes decent.... Almost as good as making it out of the "good stuff" from the fancy roasters. LOL

I guess I need to step my game up from Folgers, Maxwell house and Dunkin 😆

• Haha 2

On 12/28/2022 at 8:26 PM, TeeJay said:

I guess I need to step my game up from Folgers, Maxwell house and Dunkin 😆

Next time you're at a target. Peets Italian roast is pretty good.  I also get Don francisco's in a variety of things.

I just mean, there's small things.... like.... Columbian or Ethiopian coffee beans are probably what you're used to.  Compared to something more citrusy and acidic like Costa Rican / South American coffee. 

Klatch is a local roaster here that I like.  They have this one during the holidays and the tasting note is Toffee.  Yeah, unsweetened and it tasted like a skor bar.  Insanity!  But it was one of the more interesting experiences I've had randomly trying something.

There's always interesting things at whatever price, whatever shop, whatever place.  Sometimes it's all about just having that nudge into "hm, try this and see what you think" and that's one step into better knowing what you like.  Seems to be a lot of that in terms of life experiences, fishkeeping, and needing that nudge to try a thing and then having it open a door.

• Like 1

It's my first wood working media project. 

I thought you were talking about modding a coffee grinder(?). It’s a wooden coffee grinder? Mine was plastic.

On 12/29/2022 at 1:20 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

They have this one during the holidays and the tasting note is Toffee.  Yeah, unsweetened and it tasted like a skor bar

Yum!

Agreed.  Cheap cold brew that tastes decent.... Almost as good as making it out of the "good stuff

(Stok) It’s smooth, but not weak. I think the other one I tried was Calista Farms or something. Tasted kinda burnt.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 1:18 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I thought you were talking about modding a coffee grinder(?). It’s a wooden coffee grinder? Mine was plastic.

18_pic_1_1.png.488524146784f3f401cc32aca15c0d48.png

On 12/29/2022 at 1:18 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

(Stok) It’s smooth, but not weak. I think the other one I tried was Calista Farms or something. Tasted kinda burnt.

Yeah. Especially the dark roasts. They can get pretty off-putting.

Good morning fellow nerms. Time for coffee with TeeJay. 

I figured the shrimp journal was the right place for this entry since it's the new fancy coffee tasting today   So thanks again to @Guppysnail for the new Java. It's delicioso.  Just watching the shrimpy' friends out for there morning scoot around the tank. 

I ordered a new nano hob filter for there palace with some extra pre sponge filters to go with it. As well as a new floating plant corral for the salvinia and duckweed from Galaxy flow studio. 

I just wanted to upgrade there filtration while I'm in the process of knocking out this bacterial bloom. Not that there necessarily linked but out of my 3 main tanks it's the only one with single filtration  the new filter should be her sat. The new plant corral I'm sure won't be her for a week. But here is a video of the shrimpy' friends this morning  Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/aEVCvy253rg

IMG_20221229_070008605.jpg

• Love 2