Just did a 1gsllon water change on the shrimp sanctuary tank. Thinned out the floaters and hornwort. What I took out I added into the snail tote tank. Then it was time to eat. Mini alge wafers tonight. And now I get so many more shrimp out for feeding time. The colony is growing great!. Tank is a bit hazy from the tannins. This is only the second time I have done a water change on the shrimp tank. And only 1 gallon each time. Ammonia and nitrites are always at 0 and the nitrates never go above 10-15.

IMG_20221208_164636721.jpg

IMG_20221208_164752977.jpg

IMG_20221208_170108752.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

So I did a thing today. I didn't realize how bad my ramshorns snails has gotten until a couple of days ago. I just pulled 70 out of the killi tank alone. So today I had some ninjas delivered. Got 5 assassin's snails to help with the issue. I love my ramshorns but they have gotten out of hand lol. Hopefully this will help keep them in check. And manual removal as well 

• Like 2

I have remember over 150 ramshorns in this tank alone today. And I sure for every one I have removed there are at least 5 more for each. But getting a good start. I check the veggies every our or two and remove what has collected and put them back in. About the easiest way to do it. That and they like to collect in the undersides of the terra cotta food trays. 

• Like 1

Have a bit of bacterial bloom going in the shrimp sanctuary right now. Did a 30 percent water change today and sucked alot and I mean a lot of gunk out of the gravel. Kind of kicking myself now for not doing regular water changes from the start on this tank. Put the parameters always stayed food so I never thought of developing a bacterial bloom. Well you live and you learn as they say.

I did add a 2" disk style are stone to help get real good oxygenation going on to help with it. And the shrimp are having fun riding in the fine air bubbles. So will just have to keep the oxygen up and keep an eye on it until it runs it's course.

IMG_20221214_141619245.jpg

Edited by TeeJay
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

So I less than 24 hours I have manually removed close to 400 ramshorns snails. I don't believe how many so far. Scary part is that could have headed to a cycle crash real soon. I'll have to take it as a learning experience. And stay on task and not let them get out of hand again.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 5:15 AM, TeeJay said:

So I less than 24 hours I have manually removed close to 400 ramshorns snails. I don't believe how many so far. Scary part is that could have headed to a cycle crash real soon. I'll have to take it as a learning experience. And stay on task and not let them get out of hand again.

Not sure what to type here. I did watch my amano shrimp wake up today and there was 3 of them playing around though.  🙂

I wish I had someone that could give me 400 of them!
  Ok, maybe 50, but you get the point.

Hopefully things in the tank start to balance out.  Definitely feeding the snail horde you are!

On 12/15/2022 at 4:00 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Not sure what to type here. I did watch my amano shrimp wake up today and there was 3 of them playing around though.  🙂

I wish I had someone that could give me 400 of them!
  Ok, maybe 50, but you get the point.

Hopefully things in the tank start to balance out.  Definitely feeding the snail horde you are!

Yes I didn't realize how bad it was until I was looking at the substrate and I saw snails not rocks I knew I had a problem lol. I think I have put a pretty good dent in the population.

• Like 1

Still battling the bacterial bloom in the shrimp sanctuary. It's not getting any worse so that's a good thing. When I was at the store this morning I picked up a 3 gallon water jug. I filled it with dechlorinated water and a pound of cc. I will use this for water changes to try and keep it as close to the tank water as possible. 

I know the bloom came from all the gunk buildup since setting up the tank and not doing water changes. Lesson learned there. I did get a lot of the buildup out from the last water change. But it's going to take a few more rounds to get it to where it needs to be. I'll let the water season for a couple of days before the next water and cleanup day.

IMG_20221217_123512820.jpg

• Like 3

Good morning fellow winter storm riding nerms. I know I know it's been quite a while since an edition of coffee with TeeJay. Sometimes life catches up with you and there is so much stuff to do.

Have been battling a bacterial bloom in the shrimp sanctuary for a couple of weeks now. It hasn't really gotten any better. But it's not gotten worse either. I know. I did the second water change on it Tuesday. I know it's usually counterproductive to do water changes with a bacterial bloom but I need to get all of the buildup out of the gravel so we can get it under control. 

The 3 gallon water jug works great to season the water with cc for a week so it's ready to go in. I think with one more good gravel vac maybe 2 I should have it knocked out.

After this it will be regular water changes for the shrimp tank just like the others. Let myself get pulled into a false sense of security and boom 💥

• Like 2

I’m in the same boat @TeeJay. I don’t have a bloom but I don’t maintain the tank. I was at first, but water changes seemed to cause casualties so I don’t do them; I just test the parameters.  I started with 10 shrimps and I’m down to 4. Or 3. Not sure. They hide. I have a new method now to drip water back into the tank for a water change, and that worked well last time. But I’m not changing water now because my ladies keep giving all the signs of maternity, and I worry I might vac shrimplettes if they’re in there.

P.S. I had a special Christmussy coffee today for this edition of coffee with Teejay.

A33896A8-4441-4498-8687-8F87ED142E1E.jpeg

• Love 1

Today's coffee is really, really messed up. 😂

I think it would definitely quality as turkish style.  I went to adjust the grinder up (turn to the right), but my dyslexia got the best of me and after grinding I realized that was the wrong direction and I adjusted it more fine as opposed to course.  Needless to say, I'm thankful for the coffee, but might have to run an attempt two here shortly.

@TeeJay hope things have settled and the kid (and anyone else) is feeling better these days!  Going through some of the same stuff here with regards to the younger sibling being under the weather. 

Did you happen to feed out the vibrabites at all?  What do you think of it?

On 12/23/2022 at 7:14 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

A33896A8-4441-4498-8687-8F87ED142E1E.jpeg

Very fancy!  Looks interesting.  Makes me wish for my nespresso pods and setup to be alive and well again.

How was it!?

On 12/23/2022 at 2:04 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

How was it!?

Pretty good!  The aroma once it brews is spot on. Just like a chocolate covered cherry. I don’t usually do flavored coffees from pods but I do like this one around Christmas time. My brother shipped these to me as a gift. He lives up north in @Guppysnail territory.

I’m a Cafe Bustelo kind of gal. 

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 11:14 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Pretty good!  The aroma once it brews is spot on. Just like a chocolate covered cherry. I don’t usually do flavored coffees from pods but I do like this one around Christmas time. My brother shipped these to me as a gift. 

I’m a Cafe Bustelo kind of gal. 

Fun.  I always think gingerbread or chai spices for holiday times.  I've been staring at the pine needles wanting to make some needle tea. LOL. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 2:04 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Today's coffee is really, really messed up. 😂

I think it would definitely quality as turkish style.  I went to adjust the grinder up (turn to the right), but my dyslexia got the best of me and after grinding I realized that was the wrong direction and I adjusted it more fine as opposed to course.  Needless to say, I'm thankful for the coffee, but might have to run an attempt two here shortly.

@TeeJay hope things have settled and the kid (and anyone else) is feeling better these days!  Going through some of the same stuff here with regards to the younger sibling being under the weather. 

Did you happen to feed out the vibrabites at all?  What do you think of it?

Very fancy!  Looks interesting.  Makes me wish for my nespresso pods and setup to be alive and well again.

How was it!?

The corys have done very well with them. The killis like them to in occasion. I just break them up a bit for there little selves.

• Thanks 1