On 12/29/2022 at 7:30 AM, TeeJay said:

It's delicioso

I put my face in the bag. The smell is incredible. 

Oh yeah, and it’s tasty as well. 

On 12/29/2022 at 7:30 AM, TeeJay said:

I ordered a new nano hob filter for there palace

What kind did you end up getting? I got this one, but I haven’t tried it yet. A little nervous about adding flow to the tank.

89D9C078-C8C2-4CC3-8B14-53763591B4A0.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 7:37 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I put my face in the bag. The smell is incredible. 

Oh yeah, and it’s tasty as well. 

What kind did you end up getting? I got this one, but I haven’t tried it yet. A little nervous about adding flow to the tank.

89D9C078-C8C2-4CC3-8B14-53763591B4A0.jpeg

I order this guy on Amazon. It's for up to 4 gallons but since it's going on the shrimp tank it should do the trick. Not like it has a heavy bioload and I'm running 3 nano sponge filters in it already. It says it has "adjustable flow" we will see about that lol. I'll have fun playing around with different media in it since @nabokovfan87 bit me with the modding bug 😆

Screenshot_20221229-074013.png

Edited by TeeJay
  • Like 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea don’t be nervous. Shrimp love flow and are surprisingly strong swimmers. I accidentally turned my canister flow way up in the guppy tank at one point. My guppies were struggling yet my shrimp were cruising right along. 
I’m glad you guys like this coffee 🤗

@TeeJay the adjuster does work it’s just odd. I have one similar. To the shrimp flow debate I also want to add I run ugf, hob and canister in each tank. My pleco tank is a decent flow rate moderately high. My shrimp thrive in there also. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 2

On 12/29/2022 at 7:45 AM, Guppysnail said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea don’t be nervous. Shrimp love flow and are surprisingly strong swimmers. I accidentally turned my canister flow way up in the guppy tank at one point. My guppies were struggling yet my shrimp were cruising right along. 
I’m glad you guys like this coffee 🤗

@TeeJay the adjuster does work it’s just odd. I have one similar. To the shrimp flow debate I also want to add I run ugf, hob and canister in each tank. My pleco tank is a decent flow rate moderately high. My shrimp thrive in there also. 

I know the flow won't be an issue since they do like flow and it's a 10 gal tank. But if it works well and it's pretty slim maybe I'll get one for the 2.5 if it does not take up to much space on the back of it for when I get it set up as a permanent tank for Hannah. The adjustable flow would help them I think since it's such a tiny tank.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2022 at 4:37 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

For shrimp?

On 12/29/2022 at 4:45 AM, Guppysnail said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea don’t be nervous. Shrimp love flow and are surprisingly strong swimmers

This. Shrimp LOVE flow. In the wild they are usually in rivers I believe. There's hundreds of stories of shrimp turning a HoB into their own little shrimp hideout.

Toss a piece of tall wood or rock right near the output of the filter. 😉

• Thanks 1

So I got the new filter in today. It's so tiny! I knew it would be small but not that small lol. But it's second filtration so it will do the trick. I ordered some pre filter sponges as well. I open the filter box and what do I find? A pre filter sponge. Oh well I can always find uses for the extra 6 lol. So I got it all set up and running. The "adjustable flow" works better than I thought it would. It's very quiet as well. So for now I'm very happy with it. We will see how it does for the long haul. I dropped in a few pieces of the bio media from the tidal filter on the killi tank since there was a little room in the compartment space 

IMG_20221230_161641479.jpg

IMG_20221230_161649816.jpg

IMG_20221230_164105937.jpg

IMG_20221230_170813978.jpg

IMG_20221230_172352834.jpg

• Like 2

I believe I have got the Bacterial bloom neutralized in the shrimp sanctuary! It has cleared out tremendously. I believe it has taken about 3 weeks of water changes to get it back to a good point. Tuesday is the next weekly water change. It's off schedule a bit from the rest but that's ok. With each week I gravel vac a different section of the substrate. I did tit this way to try and limit the amount of crap getting into the water column. This upcoming weeks change is the last section that needs done.

After that it can go to a regular overall general gravel vac. I like the way the disk airstone looks and operates so I'm going to keep it as a permanent feature. And the shrimp like to play in it lol. 

Over in the mystery snail journal I talked about getting the 2.5 gal ready for permanent inhabitants. It to a gravel/cc substrate from a bare bottom today. The plan is to make it a shrimp/snail tank form for my daughter's room. So I think it will get merged into this journal. I don't think I could keep up with another separate journal as well. 

IMG_20230101_144148692.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/1/2023 at 3:59 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Bury it to keep out the algae?

Yes I deciding how and where I want to put the permanent placement for it. I have a new one coming in Tuesday that's a half inch smaller in diameter I want to put in here. Then move this one over to the Cory tank. I think they would appreciate the extra oxegen and bubbles to play in 

• Like 1

Water change day for the killi tank today. Moved some plants around a bit and thinned a bit of guppy grass. The sword is thinning a bit so added a few more root tabs and some easy green today as well. I had backed off a bit on the ferts for awhile and now I'm seeing the effects. Going to get it back on a regular feet schedule and see if I can get it back to happy. Luna is growing very well. 

I think I have a pretty good handle on the ramshorns now. As of now I have removed dang near 700 snails. I can't believe that that was even possible. Fresh veggies are the easiest and fastest way to get them out that I have found. I had gotten so bad it looked like I had a substrate of snails not gravel and cc. I do believe I'm seeing for fish activity now that I have removed so many from taking all the food so now the corys and killis can hunt/savage for food more easily.

IMG_20230102_165753523.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 1/2/2023 at 4:31 PM, TeeJay said:

Water change day for the killi tank today. Moved some plants around a bit and thinned a bit of guppy grass. The sword is thinning a bit so added a few more root tabs and some easy green today as well. I had backed off a bit on the ferts for awhile and now I'm seeing the effects. Going to get it back on a regular feet schedule and see if I can get it back to happy. Luna is growing very well. 

I think I have a pretty good handle on the ramshorns now. As of now I have removed dang near 700 snails. I can't believe that that was even possible. Fresh veggies are the easiest and fastest way to get them out that I have found. I had gotten so bad it looked like I had a substrate of snails not gravel and cc. I do believe I'm seeing for fish activity now that I have removed so many from taking all the food so now the corys and killis can hunt/savage for food more easily.

It'll be interesting to see how much that bioload shift helps the plants out.  Nitrates being from fert as opposed to waste.  I know snails are useful, part of nature, but yeah..... I just always feel like that's going to happen when I see one, let alone a few dozen.

On 1/2/2023 at 7:35 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It'll be interesting to see how much that bioload shift helps the plants out.  Nitrates being from fert as opposed to waste.  I know snails are useful, part of nature, but yeah..... I just always feel like that's going to happen when I see one, let alone a few dozen.

You know I didn't even think of that. But it makes a lot of sense. I hope to get a val and Anubias coffee soon. I have always wanted to try those 2 plants.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 5:02 PM, TeeJay said:

You know I didn't even think of that. But it makes a lot of sense. I hope to get a val and Anubias coffee soon. I have always wanted to try those 2 plants.

Coffeefolia is really nice. One of my favorites, probably the favorite I own of my anubias on hand.  Just nice to have the difference of big, medium, and small anubias.  I saw some new varieties (new to me) recently and I'm excited for the day I can get some.  You'll really enjoy the coffee one!

• Like 2

On 1/2/2023 at 7:31 PM, TeeJay said:

IMG_20230102_165753523.jpg

Do I see a pea puffer tank in your future? They eat little snails!

• Sad 1

On 1/2/2023 at 7:31 PM, TeeJay said:

As of now I have removed dang near 700 snails. I can't believe that that was even possible.

Hence I just keep egg-laying snails.  I'd probably be ok w/ a rabbit snail.  They only produce a baby about once a month.  I think they look cool but supposedly they eat java fern, and I quite like my java ferns.

• Like 1

Got my plant corral in for the shrimp tank yesterday. Got it out in this evening. I will experiment with it to see if it will able to hold back the duckweed well enough with it going the whole length of the tank. If not I'll try and turn it into 2 separate ring style corrals to just go around the areas above the sponge filters. Figured I would also add a pic of the shrimpy' friends having dinner.IMG_20230104_192435082.jpg.9570f5f6dd7477078b352bab37a74778.jpg

IMG_20230104_180801406.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

A fun package came today!. I knew it was coming but there were extra goodies in it that I was not expecting! Thanks to @Chick-In-Of-TheSea for the fun stuff. I knew she was sending me a bag of calci chips for my snails and shrimp but I didn't know she was sending some other goodies to make snello as well!. Some repashy, calcium carbonate and a little cuttlebone. Along with the recipe.

I guess this would go better in the snail clutch journal but I did take a pic of the shrimp enjoying some calci chip.

IMG_20230106_185122227.jpg

IMG_20230106_185706220.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3