On 1/12/2024 at 12:31 AM, Matthew J said:

Perfect! And another question. When it says 'rinse' after the 12 hours, does this mean to rinse under running tap water? And for the 30 minutes in regular water, is tap water fine? Should it be dechlorinated?

I just shake the plants off and drop them into the tank.  The carbon dioxide gasses off leaving only water behind. That’s one of the wonderful things about RR. It leaves no harmful residue. 

I only rinse when killing algae to remove as much dead algae as possible.  

• Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 6:40 AM, Guppysnail said:

I just shake the plants off and drop them into the tank.  The carbon dioxide gasses off leaving only water behind. That’s one of the wonderful things about RR. It leaves no harmful residue. 

I only rinse when killing algae to remove as much dead algae as possible.  

The only thing I was really worried about was significant pH change from the seltzer if there were a ton of treated plants going into a tiny tank, or excess chlorine from a ton of plants dragging heavily chlorinated, shocked water going into a tiny tank.  I’m paranoid about giving some blanket recommendations without knowing more details.

I also usually just shake the plants off, or quick rinse to clear debris if I’m treating algae.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

What are you supposed to do after the 30 minute "rinse" i can find literally nothing in the hundreds of pages of documentation that says what to do after that. Can you leave it or does the water need to be changed again before resuming normal use? 

I'm confused, what's the reason for the Patent? There's nothing proprietary used here, it's a great idea but doesn't require anything unique so trying to profit off it seems odd. Is there another reason for a patent other than trying to keep others from making money off the idea? 

Please help me understand. 

Also, WHY IS NO ONE MAKING VIDEOS ABOUT THIS ON YOUTUBE?  All the videos I am finding don't show any real details, results, or instructions. This should be the biggest thing since silicone. 

Edited by TJOBrien

On 1/22/2024 at 11:30 AM, TJOBrien said:

What are you supposed to do after the 30 minute "rinse" i can find literally nothing in the hundreds of pages of documentation that says what to do after that. Can you leave it or does the water need to be changed again before resuming normal use? 

I'm confused, what's the reason for the Patent? There's nothing proprietary used here, it's a great idea but doesn't require anything unique so trying to profit off it seems odd. Is there another reason for a patent other than trying to keep others from making money off the idea? 

Please help me understand. 

Also, WHY IS NO ONE MAKING VIDEOS ABOUT THIS ON YOUTUBE?  All the videos I am finding don't show any real details, results, or instructions. This should be the biggest thing since silicone. 

Hi, Reverse Respiration took about 6 months to design. The ultimate approach was preceded by several other “non-chemical plant sterilization” techniques which included ultrasound and electrolysis.

Carbonated water was originally added to both asphyxiate the pests and to equalize the internal pressures and protect the plant from our more caustic approaches like ultrasound. Ultimately, we found that carbonated water alone achieved our goals alone and we abandoned the other technologies.

However, the experiment ended up costing thousands of dollars with months of breeding parasites, buying plants, chemicals, hardware and shipping as well as expensive machinery such as electrolysis, power supplies and ultrasonic cleaners. It was funded by 3rd parties and so the intellectual rights are privately owned although they are free to the general public for use. To that end, the patent filing was largely to secure the rights of ownership and proper accreditation rather than a marketing goal.

Insofar as the final stage goes, I believe everyone just installs the plants after the final stage as it’s just water by then anyway. In fact, I think people place them directly in the tank from the seltzer which suffices as the "anaerobic kill-off" final stage.  If I’m wrong about that, please someone correct me.

RR is spreading greatly, and to date, the website has seen over 40,000 tests so far. I imagine private videos will be made over time. We’re hoping to see videos made, but hopefully done professionally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

On 1/22/2024 at 2:30 PM, TJOBrien said:

What are you supposed to do after the 30 minute "rinse" i can find literally nothing in the hundreds of pages of documentation that says what to do after that.

I place the plants directly in the tank after the seltzer to suffice as the final stage “rinse” in aerated water. 

On 1/22/2024 at 4:30 PM, dasaltemelosguy said:

WHY IS NO ONE MAKING VIDEOS ABOUT THIS ON YOUTUBE?

We are not YouTubers. We are hobbyists. Just as @dasaltemelosguysaid we only wanted to provide a chemical free, SAFE, method of treatment that was very easy to use for even a day 1 aquarist wanting to start with plants but avoid introducing snails, parasites or negative bacteria.

We never intended to profit only help other aquarists.  Reverse Respiration is so amazing and easy word of mouth alone served to spread the information. I have also done club presentations to help inform folks. We felt no need to advertise beyond making the information available.  

RR being free to all we felt no need to spend more money to advertise via YouTube. 
I am glad you found this so amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

One interesting thing is that Cory/ACO don't seem to mention it in their YouTube videos.  There seems to have been many opportunities, but I've never heard it mentioned.

On a side note, I've used it and it worked for me... 🙂

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/22/2024 at 3:01 PM, Galabar said:

One interesting thing is that Cory/ACO don't seem to mention it in their YouTube videos.  There seems to have been many opportunities, but I've never heard it mentioned.

On a side note, I've used it and it worked for me... 🙂

💯 EXACTLY! 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 6:01 PM, Galabar said:

One interesting thing is that Cory/ACO don't seem to mention it in their YouTube videos

I would assume it’s because they test everything extensively before sharing it with YouTube.  They are always inundated with products to test to go to market that have potential to make money.  ACO is a business.

There is no profit to be made on RR.  They would need to test hundreds of plants themselves as is their fashion. It’s why we trust ACO so much.  With no money to be made and to little time to test the plethora of things they want to test it makes perfect sense this was never mentioned. 
Cory did however move it out of journals and into community resources and link the easier to read format website at the top of the original post to make it easily accessible to everyone. 

On 1/22/2024 at 8:12 PM, TJOBrien said:

💯 EXACTLY! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I recently gave RR a try with some new plants which worked out because my normal quarantine tank is currently my ramshorn grow tank/back up daphnia culture. I ended up receiving a lot more plants then I ordered 😁, so I didn't have time to really look them over for pests. I did find 2 small snails on 2 of the plants before I began and removed them.  Work and homework kept me busy, so my RR period went well past 12 hours and closer to 24.  At the end while replacing the water to soak them in tap water for 30 mins I found several snail egg sacks, the eggs inside looked dead and had turned white.   

Not the best images I know but I thought I'd share. Looks like a good sign to me.

IMG20240126220412.jpg

IMG20240126220406.jpg

Edited by TheChosenOne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

On 1/27/2024 at 10:18 AM, TheChosenOne said:

I recently gave RR a try with some new plants which worked out because my normal quarantine tank is currently my ramshorn grow tank/back up daphnia culture. I ended up receiving a lot more plants then I ordered 😁, so I didn't have time to really look them over for pests. I did find 2 small snails on 2 of the plants before I began and removed them.  Work and homework kept me busy, so my RR period went well past 12 hours and closer to 24.  At the end while replacing the water to soak them in tap water for 30 mins I found several snail egg sacks, the eggs inside looked dead and had turned white.   

Not the best images I know but I thought I'd share. Looks like a good sign to me.

IMG20240126220412.jpg

IMG20240126220406.jpg

I used RR in testing on plants from my bladder snail breeding tank. They looked just like yours after RR.  I returned them to a bare bottom tank with no snails. After 2-3 months I never had a snail or pest sighting. I do wipe them off now after RR. I figure no reason to just let them decay in a tank. 

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

OMG!!!!

I have a 40g breeder community tank, and have in the past few weeks had an outbreak of staghorn algae. I have tried manual removal, balancing nutrients and light exposure, and it just seemed to be getting a bit worse. I was hesitant to use any spot treatments, or anything chemical in nature, just because I always worry about the impacts on my fish and tank. My amazon swords and java ferns were covered. 

I found this post on the forums after searching for all sorts of solutions. The article is extremely in depth, but I do have a background in the sciences, and I couldn't believe the level of understanding and depth of the research involved. I HAD TO TRY IT!!

I used a giant storage tote (solid blue color), 10L of seltzer water, threw my plants in, added a weight to hold them under the surface, then placed the lid (but did not seal the container) on top, and covered with a blanket. 12h soak. I prepped a 5 gal bucket I normally use for water changes, and added a spare ACO sponge filter which has a built in air stone, to aerate the water. After the 12hr soak, I removed the plants, put them into the bucket, and placed an aquarium light (LED) over the top. Set a 30 min timer, and just let them soak.

When I pulled the plants out, I was ready to replant them into my tank. As soon as I put them into the water, and under my light, I could see all of the previously black-ish algae was either a burgundy-red or a pale white-ish color. I have 3 bushynose plecos, 3 mollies, and 2 amano shrimp in the tank, so I didn't manually remove any of the algae, I wanted to see if my fish would clean up the dead stuff. They either couldn't or wouldn't eat the staghorn previously, but I had read that once it dies, the clean up crews will take care of it, or it will fall off and decompose.

I couldn't BELIEVE the results from this process. I am ever so grateful to ACO and the community, this forum, and the researchers who gave us this amazing information. I will continue to update as this week progresses.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 3

On 2/26/2024 at 10:48 AM, JayStu11 said:

OMG!!!!

I have a 40g breeder community tank, and have in the past few weeks had an outbreak of staghorn algae. I have tried manual removal, balancing nutrients and light exposure, and it just seemed to be getting a bit worse. I was hesitant to use any spot treatments, or anything chemical in nature, just because I always worry about the impacts on my fish and tank. My amazon swords and java ferns were covered. 

I found this post on the forums after searching for all sorts of solutions. The article is extremely in depth, but I do have a background in the sciences, and I couldn't believe the level of understanding and depth of the research involved. I HAD TO TRY IT!!

I used a giant storage tote (solid blue color), 10L of seltzer water, threw my plants in, added a weight to hold them under the surface, then placed the lid (but did not seal the container) on top, and covered with a blanket. 12h soak. I prepped a 5 gal bucket I normally use for water changes, and added a spare ACO sponge filter which has a built in air stone, to aerate the water. After the 12hr soak, I removed the plants, put them into the bucket, and placed an aquarium light (LED) over the top. Set a 30 min timer, and just let them soak.

When I pulled the plants out, I was ready to replant them into my tank. As soon as I put them into the water, and under my light, I could see all of the previously black-ish algae was either a burgundy-red or a pale white-ish color. I have 3 bushynose plecos, 3 mollies, and 2 amano shrimp in the tank, so I didn't manually remove any of the algae, I wanted to see if my fish would clean up the dead stuff. They either couldn't or wouldn't eat the staghorn previously, but I had read that once it dies, the clean up crews will take care of it, or it will fall off and decompose.

I couldn't BELIEVE the results from this process. I am ever so grateful to ACO and the community, this forum, and the researchers who gave us this amazing information. I will continue to update as this week progresses.

I’m so happy you had success. Any leaves that were dying from the algae will melt off but you should see new growth happening quickly. We noticed most plants have a quick growth spurt from the co2. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just discovered this...  and joined the forum strictly for this thread. 

I started experimenting with using CO2 to disinfect plants and kill pest critters back in 2009. I posted about it and some other stuff I was doing while I was learning Arabic at the defense language institute(I'll post the link below).  I kinda dropped off the face of the planet after that...  I deployed to Afghanistan, Syria, and most countries in the northern half of Africa(there is always a war in Africa).  so, this last decade has been busy to say the least.  I never really got to experiment further with the stuff I was doing back then.   never really had the time.

but, my combat days are behind me now and I would like to get back to it.  

I absolutely love the work y'all have done.  

https://www.plantedtank.net/threads/tricks.568466/

Edited by Auban
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• 1 month later...

In the coming weeks I'm planting out my new 88 gallon. Before I committed to a large order going through this process I bought a couple plants from my LFS supplied by Dustin's plants. 

They started beautiful, and came out of the process just as beautiful. I didn't notice any small eggs on the leaves or snails in the lfs tank. But I'll be moving forward with this technique. 

Once I get to the end I will test my old plants that have plenty of snails and some BBA.

The plants I did cycle: Bacopa carolina,  Hydrophilia cordata

after the first week I see nothing crawling around

Edited by Lonkley
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been a couple weeks.  I planted an amazon sword, red ozelot sword, sri lanka crypt, ludwigia ovalis, rotala orange juice (the scientific name im sure), anubias barteri, anubias nanaanubias nana golden, anubias nana petite.

All of them came out of the process and healthy as going in.  The ozelot appears to have melted heavily but i chalk that to conversion. There have been no snails after 2 weeks.  Since these were from my lfs in 3 different tanks. I have to believe that snails exist, unless they have a stealth loach on duty.  Also I think it killed any algae that may have been on them.

Last night my new tank finished cycling so I moved everyone over and I pulled all my plants from the old tank.  There is quite a bit of BBA on them and definitely snails. This morning, I don't see any snails, but the bba is still laughing contently on the plants. Not a change of color, can't rub it off by hand, just seems the same as before treatment.

Since the main goal was to remove snails, I consider it a success for now.  I only say for now because I don't know how long it takes pest eggs to hatch.  Disappointed the bba didn't die, since a couple of those plants I wanted to put into the new tank, but I don't want to carry the bba into a new tank.

ETA: That's pretty slick that the plants were automatically hyperlinked to the store.  As a coder, I appreciate such little details, now I'm curious if it'll do it for all products.

PXL_20240501_043935614.jpg

Edited by Lonkley

On 5/1/2024 at 12:50 PM, Lonkley said:

but the bba is still laughing contently on the plants

It should turn white pink or purple witching 24 hours.  The only time it did not for me was I had a bottle of seltzer I opened fresh but did not get a big blast of spray. I suspect that bottle was slightly flat and did not work as it should. Bba takes 9-12 hours in fresh non flat soda to die. The bba will remain in the plant but it will be dead indicated by a color change. 

• Like 1