I have a huge amount of respect for @dasaltemelosguyand @Guppysnailfor the amount of work they both put into this project and the amount of work that continues. My contribution was extremely minor compared to the hours and hours over several months time they’ve poured into the project.  I also appreciate the encouragement given by @OnlyGenusCaps to @dasaltemelosguy.  His timing was just right on getting @dasaltemelosguyinto this forum in the first place, so he could bring his innovative ideas, plus the determination to follow it through to the hobby with a scientific approach very rarely seen in a hobbyist.  It was @Guppysnail’s keen observations that triggered further study into the potential short and long term benefits of the RR treatment.  Nicely done to you all!

Edited by Odd Duck
Typo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 8
  • Love 1

Oh my goodness, this is amazing!!!!

Way more fun than my collab with my college professor over O-chem and an easier way to identify molecules from written formulas.

This is truly impressive, useful, and I look forward to following more research. Of course, this now puts your research in the arena of replicability, to validate the results. And thanks to the clear and simple directions, it should be fairly simple for many of us to validate your findings.

I already loved the forum and knew I had found my "home". This validates that knowledge!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 6/15/2022 at 11:18 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

I admit it I skimmed the second half, but what an amazing research venture!

Great read and I look forward to more research topics in the future! Agreed on @dasaltemelosguy being a fantastic boots on the ground experimenter for the hobby. Especially paired with a team the avengers might be jealous of.

I did tell @dasaltemelosguy his science knowledge was akin to superhero powers 😉 

• Like 4

Thanks guys.  Well done.  

@dasaltemelosguy  to paraphrase mr Lincoln. I would have written something shorter, but did not have the time

@Guppysnail great write up.  Wish I had more time to read it.  Then read it again.

if I understand this, I can clean algae from my anubias and mosses by using my soda stream to make carbonated water.  Right?   I really want to try it.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/16/2022 at 7:51 AM, Ken Burke said:

Thanks guys.  Well done.  

@dasaltemelosguy  to paraphrase mr Lincoln. I would have written something shorter, but did not have the time

@Guppysnail great write up.  Wish I had more time to read it.  Then read it again.

if I understand this, I can clean algae from my anubias and mosses by using my soda stream to make carbonated water.  Right?   I really want to try it.   

@Ken Burke Thank you I’m ORD. Yes. @dasaltemelosguy actually suggested us each getting a soda stream after continuously wiping several stores out of seltzer repeatedly. I’m not familiar with streamers so I don’t know if concentration etc is the same. @dasaltemelosguy can weigh in on that. 
here are some more fun pics and why my journal has been lacking tank shots lately.  Very hard to explain bright red and white stuff everywhere 🤣

After treatmentC3C56816-6CF3-445A-B37C-D750DEE27BC3.jpeg.0e4541614cef122313312b29325533cb.jpeg720A34D1-3D82-4D21-B4A3-7FAEB8BA4C39.jpeg.ea4e6ca194d16e4774258b2461b99a29.jpeg096558FE-17CB-46B5-9E6F-6297E152F4A4.jpeg.ce6e40546a5ab21c0d3897d70f35d264.jpeg

after a day or so with no shrimp and snails in a tank to eat itA8F11E9E-3983-41A4-BC37-73D7FD39ACCA.jpeg.14c5d3ba0e0978df09630e8b4e8bb61c.jpeg

here are some before and after 5081E19F-194A-4EB9-AC67-162427820EA8.jpeg.e3c00dcbcb79884e7a021a6e6708e62e.jpegABB6EF1D-3690-4BFF-AC0B-7ADD316A54FB.jpeg.473520e21eea4ba5aa7361d00f4fb9cd.jpeg

some of the other algae was harder to photo it turns white and disintegrated quickly but you can see the green fuzzy algae on the terra cotta pot is gone leaving only original gsa which was eventually cleaned off by shrimp, snails and BN pleco babies. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 3
  • Love 5

On 6/16/2022 at 8:21 AM, Guppysnail said:

@Ken Burke Thank you I’m ORD. Yes. @dasaltemelosguy actually suggested us each getting a soda stream after continuously wiping several stores out of seltzer repeatedly. I’m not familiar with streamers so I don’t know if concentration etc is the same. @dasaltemelosguy can weigh in on that. 
here are some more fun pics and why my journal has been lacking tank shots lately.  Very hard to explain bright red and white stuff everywhere 🤣

After treatmentC3C56816-6CF3-445A-B37C-D750DEE27BC3.jpeg.0e4541614cef122313312b29325533cb.jpeg720A34D1-3D82-4D21-B4A3-7FAEB8BA4C39.jpeg.ea4e6ca194d16e4774258b2461b99a29.jpeg096558FE-17CB-46B5-9E6F-6297E152F4A4.jpeg.ce6e40546a5ab21c0d3897d70f35d264.jpeg

after a day or so with no shrimp and snails in a tank to eat itA8F11E9E-3983-41A4-BC37-73D7FD39ACCA.jpeg.14c5d3ba0e0978df09630e8b4e8bb61c.jpeg

here are some before and after 5081E19F-194A-4EB9-AC67-162427820EA8.jpeg.e3c00dcbcb79884e7a021a6e6708e62e.jpegABB6EF1D-3690-4BFF-AC0B-7ADD316A54FB.jpeg.473520e21eea4ba5aa7361d00f4fb9cd.jpeg

some of the other algae was harder to photo it turns white and disintegrated quickly but you can see the green fuzzy algae on the terra cotta pot is gone leaving only original gsa which was eventually cleaned off by shrimp, snails and BN pleco babies. 

I want to sit down and really read through this when things are a bit less hectic farmwise! I did see in George Farmer's interzoo video yesterday that they were adding carbonated water to all the tropica tanks in the mornings - no CO2 running in any of the show setups and they looked great. There is a Dutch aquascaper that has done videos on his experiments using carbonated water in his setups as well that was very interesting. I may have to try this in the walstad style jar that has some serious staghorn algae....

I ran DIY CO2 - decent pressure but not commercial pressure high - on my 55 startup to try and kickstart the plants there. 1-3 bubbles/sec, never saw pearling but plants are all quite healthy. But so is the green hair algae that clearly didn't get the memo. Our water is so high in iron though - I haven't done a water change in a month in hopes the plants will take up more of it.

• Love 1

On 6/16/2022 at 10:53 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

I want to sit down and really read through this when things are a bit less hectic farmwise! I did see in George Farmer's interzoo video yesterday that they were adding carbonated water to all the tropica tanks in the mornings - no CO2 running in any of the show setups and they looked great. There is a Dutch aquascaper that has done videos on his experiments using carbonated water in his setups as well that was very interesting. I may have to try this in the walstad style jar that has some serious staghorn algae....

I ran DIY CO2 - decent pressure but not commercial pressure high - on my 55 startup to try and kickstart the plants there. 1-3 bubbles/sec, never saw pearling but plants are all quite healthy. But so is the green hair algae that clearly didn't get the memo. Our water is so high in iron though - I haven't done a water change in a month in hopes the plants will take up more of it.

Thank you for this. I was unaware there was any work being done adding carbonated water to the tanks. That is very interesting. I’m guessing they are doing very precise doses to not affect tank inhabitants. We did not venture that avenue (only using co2 water outside the tank environment) as this all started as a way to quickly and efficiently kill pests without harming plants or endangering inhabitants with chemical residue. I will definitely have to look at those works. I appreciate you sharing. Sorry I am ORD 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

On 6/15/2022 at 4:08 PM, Torrey said:

Oh my goodness, this is amazing!!!!

Way more fun than my collab with my college professor over O-chem and an easier way to identify molecules from written formulas.

This is truly impressive, useful, and I look forward to following more research. Of course, this now puts your research in the arena of replicability, to validate the results. And thanks to the clear and simple directions, it should be fairly simple for many of us to validate your findings.

I already loved the forum and knew I had found my "home". This validates that knowledge!

Thank you so much. I fully agree. Two testers and 14 tanks can never represent every variable and not even close to every plant or environment. So, it'll be cool to see results as people try it and see if and where adjustments need to be made. We saw 100% elimination and 100% plant survival but that's just a few dozen plants and only 6 months. I can't wait as people report their findings, even failures will make the data better quality. I would suspect we're going to see primarily adjustments in time, but you never know. I write out a full, factorial experiment with anticipated results for each concept that I use as place holders for ideas but once you start testing, that largely goes out the window! But I'm relieved when my predictions are wrong because it's as close to a blind testing as one can make alone. Like when @Guppysnail first reported algae death to me when I was seeing growth stimulation in some hornwort under test. WTF? It selectively kills algae but not plants? Her observation sent this whole shtick in an entirely new direction! Thanks again for the kind words. 

• Like 3
  • Love 4

On 6/16/2022 at 4:51 AM, Ken Burke said:

Thanks guys.  Well done.  

Thanks so much for the kind words. I never tested it with SodaStream but it may be worth doing as it's convenient and less plastic bottles around is never a bad thing. I believe that @OnlyGenusCaps cleaned a bunch of java moss for fry with a SodaStream and he said snails just fell out of it that he never saw. Maybe he has more about what he saw but it does sound like a great idea.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2022 at 7:53 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

Interesting idea! I have 0 experience with this but I was only concerned that too much seltzer would crash the pH but I suppose that's easy enough to monitor. I think @OnlyGenusCaps once mentioned something akin to that in converting his CO2 delivery to O2 during times of stress or illness. We'll be running analysis when the data matures on growth, but initial observations are strange indeed. Post-soak, most plants get very rigid and green but under a microscope, appear to have more chloroplasts. One control plant was shot 1 day after soak and 3 weeks after a soak to compare with an untreated and the 3 weeks after treatment plant easily had 2X the chloroplasts spinning around the vascular system. What that means, I have no idea! We're hoping @Guppysnail's growth tests will shed some light on this. 

• Like 3

On 6/16/2022 at 11:54 AM, Ken Burke said:

I’m gonna try it this weekend since I have everything I need. I’ll try to post something here  if that’s ok

Absolutely post here. As @dasaltemelosguy stated added experiences enhance what data we have. Thank you for giving this a go and thank you in advance for being willing to share your results. 

• Like 1

I am so thrilled to finally see this posted so everyone can benefit from the brilliance of @dasaltemelosguy, as well as the diligent and dedicated work of both he and @Guppysnail (who is also brilliant - BTW).  This is legitimately the most impressive piece of science I have had the pleasure of witnessing from a hobbyist in...  Maybe ever.  This is such a clean, easy, and available solution to problems folks face in this hobby.  It can be immediately used by basically everyone who wants to do so.  Not only that, it has a tremendous amount of data and understanding backing it up!  A rare thing in this hobby.  Kudos to @dasaltemelosguy and his collaborators @Guppysnail and @Odd Duck.  Simply brilliant work!

*I see above I have been given credit that I simply do not deserve.  I have been a keen observer of this process, and in awe of the dedication shown by these folks.  That is all.  My part has only been to be excited by the advances and research happening. 

I have used this and am happy to reply to the most recent posts, but I wanted to take a moment between stuff to congratulate the folks who made this advance in the hobby possible.  Thank you all for sharing this with us, and the wonderful work you all did!!!  I'm excited I actually know the cool kids for once.  😎

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 4

On 6/16/2022 at 8:57 AM, Guppysnail said:

Absolutely post here. As @dasaltemelosguy stated added experiences enhance what data we have. Thank you for giving this a go and thank you in advance for being willing to share your results. 

@Ken Burke thank you! Here would be ideal. The more data we accrue, the more accurate this test can become. Especially as we see failures, we can adjust times and who knows what else! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1