Logged on to Amazon to checkout the cart for the cat water fountain cartridges, a routine purchase, and Amazon reminded me that I might be interested in the Ink Bird.  Oh yeah, that’s true, Amazon!  Thanks!  Looked at some while reading the heater thread. Now’s a good a time as any. So that’s on the way. One for now. More later ($).  Ink bird on the qt tank is debatable. That’s such a temporary setup. Not sure if it’s worth the expense since the heater will not have continuous use. This one will go on the display tank.

I’ve never had a problem with heaters (nor do I want to). Had a close call or two back when all the heaters were HOB. Ah, the presubmersible days where they all had the little screw-on clamp. You had to make d@mn well sure that you unplugged that thing if you were doing maintenance. Can you imagine how many problems there must have been? Not that we were using the internet then to hear people’s reports and experiences. 🤔

• Like 1

What size tank is she in?  What temp do you keep her at?  I seen Prime time aquatics keep them on gravel. Yes I’ve started seriously looking. I think these have replaced my gourami urge. 

And seriously look at the pouty lower lip in the last photo 😍

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Love 1

On 9/16/2022 at 9:03 AM, Guppysnail said:

What size tank is she in?  What temp do you keep her at?  I seen Prime time aquatics keep them on gravel. Yes I’ve started seriously looking. I think these have replaced my gourami urge. 

And seriously look at the pity lower lip in the last photo 😍

She's in a 29 gallon and is peaceful with the community. She does run other fish off though, if they are trying to steal her food. The bottom is her turf, and she defends the food that is there (from fish; she is gracious to snails and just observes what they are doing).  She does well with sinking pellets.  I do put her pellets at the entrance to a little cave. I drop them between decorations so the tetras don't see them fall.  I trained her to go to the cave by using a flashlight to illuminate the cave entrance.  This worked because she is a curious fish.  If something different happens, she investigates.  She knows that if she is not able to compete for flakes at midlevel, she has the Uber eats waiting for her at her cave doorstep.  She's very smart.

78 degrees

(Also, my ram is paler looking than the rams that are on dark substrate.)

Here she is defending the banquet block. She doesn’t seem to know it’s food, but it’s new and it’s different and since it’s on the bottom it is hers.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

The quarantine gang is eating some frozen brine shrimp.

My mystery fish are starting to color up, with black near their tail.

8A1BB367-BAA5-4C09-B12C-56F9DB677695.jpeg

892F7087-BEE5-4C29-B33B-C800A69AE9BB.jpeg

C28EE891-7A88-49E1-95BB-FF2B0E73A7B7.jpeg

Also, unrelated - why am I baking gingerbread cookies? And then I smelled the spices and next thing you know I’m humming Christmas carols? I am confused?!

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 9:55 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Also, unrelated - why am I baking gingerbread cookies? And then I smelled the spices and next thing you know I’m humming Christmas carols? I am confused?!

Chai Tea?  😂

That reminds me.... I need coffee.... and thank you for the reminder to feed the panda horde, I've been cooking all morning!

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 1:30 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I found a worm in the quarantine tank. Since I am not a worm aficionado and I know detritus worms are white, I started them on paracleanse. @Colu

It difficult to tell of your video does it just move along the bottom or does it swim in the water column it's difficult to Tell the color of it with the light or medication discoloring the water 

• Like 1

@Colu no meds in water during the video, but we are looking through a plastic tote, not glass. I saw it wiggling on the bottom and removed it. Not sure if it would free swim or not if it had the opportunity. I will let you guys know if I see any more. The worm is brown.

On 9/18/2022 at 5:30 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I found a worm in the quarantine tank. Since I am not a worm aficionado and I know detritus worms are white, I started them on paracleanse. @Colu

Looks like poop to me.  It's not alive / moving, I don't see much.  Maybe from feeding bloodworms?

If you're having anything with worms you'd want to treat with both parasite meds. On levamisole you have to black out tank for first 24 hours.  I believe that's Expel-P, but just don't recall right now.

On 7/29/2022 at 1:10 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Annnnd for some reason I’m over on YouTube watching vids on how to setup a fiddler crab tank. 🤣 

But let’s be real. I do not have the space for said fiddler crab tank.

I have a 20 gallon long fiddler crab tank. They are awesome! The tank is easier to maintain than my fish tanks because it has such a lower water level. Watching the males do their tai chi looking moves is very entertaining! We have had the tank for many years. The last time we bought new fiddlers was at petco. My husband and I were hoping to buy a couple, but when we saw them all on the water, my husband was mad and told the guy he wanted them all. I was afraid several males would be an issue,  but they have plenty of room and are all thriving. I wish the pet stores would set up appropriate habitats for these crabs. When we got them home they spent awhile on land, covered in bubbles, as they tried to get the water out of their poor bodies! They definately need a large area of land!

20220829_143818.jpg

• Love 2

On 9/18/2022 at 4:08 PM, smm333 said:

I have a 20 gallon long fiddler crab tank

That’s awesome!  How do you clean the sand? 

On 9/18/2022 at 2:36 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Looks like poop to me.  It's not alive / moving, I don't see much.  Maybe from feeding bloodworms?

🤷‍♀️ It was wriggling and it looked different than the other fish waste. I didn’t feed any bloodworms.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 2:48 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Watch the last 10 sec of video

looks like a bloodworm / roundworm if it's a worm. At the end, it looks like the water current moves the worm. something causing it to move.  Honestly, it's likely waste or uneaten food.  Either case, you're fine to treat for worms / parasites. It would be internal, and you'd be treating with the med where you need to black out the tank for 24 hours after dosing.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

@nabokovfan87 I got a little confused because on the ACO shop there is this.  But I'm thinking the ACO instructions are for preventative, not for an observed issue.  I think I should go w/ package instructions, just in case this is camallanus.  

I also didn't observe anything like this until after I added just 1 T. of salt.  (Not 1 T./gallon - just 1 T. total.  10 gallon water volume.  Was doing an experiment on bacteria shock & recovery caused by salt)

Found the worm the day after.  I saw more activity than what the video shows.

Capture.PNG

On 9/18/2022 at 2:36 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

If you're having anything with worms you'd want to treat with both parasite meds. On levamisole you have to black out tank for first 24 hours.  I believe that's Expel-P, but just don't recall right now.

Do I have to finish the Paracleanse and water change all of that out before starting on the expel-p?

@nabokovfan87 @Colu