Finally decided to get the biowheel going again (the actual wheel). Older one ripped when I tried to clean debris off. But hey, it went strong for 11 years +. No complaints at all. Plus biowheels look cool.

Anyway, what a pain to get the water flow just right to get it to spin. Quickly figured out there NEEDS to be a gap before the wheel. Also was trying to keep my gap in the back, so had to make the coarse sponge thinner. That was fun. Cutting coarse sponge and it springs back into shape and flicks tank water on my face. After my shower too! 😐

Anyway, made a gap with the ceramics but the water would gradually push the sponge and floss toward the wheel anyway and wheel would stop. 

I think I got it resolved now. I needed to make 2 coarse sponge “spacers”. 

Filter maintenance. Heh. My most loathed thing. 🫤

• Like 2

On 8/7/2022 at 6:33 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Filter maintenance. Heh. My most loathed thing.

awwwwww. 😞  I'ma clean a filter RIGHT NOW just for you.

I was thinking about the issue... You said the biowheel you enjoy so I wanted to figure out a way to make it work / look cool / spin nicely for you.

This sponge here, I don't think you need, but it's there acting as a high porosity biological media (this is good!)  One way to help might be to just try to keep it under the waterline so that the flow is more even exiting the HoB container.  I know it's tight and you have a bunch stuffed in there so no big deal, but that was my initial thought.

(Edit: Here's the photo 😞 )

image.png.e980f1a0e0d2ebea1d4a56458faa7915.png

I just realized.... next time you order from amazon look up silicone grease.  They use it in surf shops and stuff.  I have food grade grease (super lube) and I used that for a while.  I now use the grease stuff and it works well.  It's kind of silly to get onto an impeller shaft, but for o-rings and what not it's a brilliant thing to have and it's super cheap.  On either end of the wheel, add some of that and it should smooth things out.  Either there's some crud in there or flow is just uneven or something, but yeah..... biowheels are goofy fun. 

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Love 1

On 8/11/2022 at 2:29 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

silicone grease.

Here is what I use on all my canisters unfortunately it’s out of stock but other places have it. 1106B873-4252-4BBF-BC9E-5E4B65B57B68.png.420bdb67f5fa5362eccc2b3afdf728d7.png

Unfortunately it does not work to help the biowheel very well  it did a little but not much  I had 8 of the penguin biowheels running at one point.  I had a miserable time and fussed daily for what seemed like an eternity  I finally figured out adding to much sponge media slows the flow not visibly but just enough the water does not have enough momentum to push the wheel no matter how I put it in   I ended up just using less and they worked fine.  I did have one the plastic nub got npbent a fract so it would not spin properly.  When it did spin it wobbled ever so slightly.  I ended up replacing that one.  Hope that helps  they are cool but a complete PITA.  I threw the wheels away in the few I still have up and jammed Peace lilies in them 🤣

Oh and 1 anthurium.. great red flowers on them 😁

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

awwwwww. 😞  I'ma clean a filter RIGHT NOW just for you.

I'm still trying to figure out why you like cruddy, nasty filters so much.  🤣  At the same time I'm happy to have a filter expert that seems to always have answers.  

I'm happy to report that, since I made that recording, the biowheel is spinning happily along.  It was only half wet when I recorded that, and now that it is fully wet, it's going like a champ.  

I do have some silicone grease as well.  Seems we divers always have that on hand for our o-rings; it prevents dry rot to ensure a proper seal between our regulators and scuba tanks.

Some people bash biowheels, but not only are they a cute little waterwheel, they also provide aeration.  The aeration make the bacteria that live on the biowheel happy.  Meanwhile other people are hacking their filters by putting airstones into them.  In my opinion, Marineland's got it figured out.

This sponge here, I don't think you need

Which sponge where?  

While we are on the filter subject, I made a baffle this morning. I am about to add 2 fish back to the tank that have been hospitalized for the last month. When my eyes opened this morning, I was thinking about the last time they were in the tank. I remember them “playing” in the current.

I worry I misinterpreted that. They separated from their school and were swimming against the current under the outflow. Maybe that stressed them. Maybe it wasn’t the same 2 black neons that got sick. AM I WORRYING TOO MUCH?! 😭Either way, I want to do my best to ensure a comfortable environment for them, and they’ve been thriving in the qt tank with a sponge filter. 

Here is what the baffle looks like. I used a VOSS bottle for a nice clean look. I’m rather happy about how it turned out. Water comes out the holes I punched as well as out the sides, so there is still a nice surface agitation. One sponge filter and an additional airstone also provide surface agitation. 

EF9C2D8F-6B9D-4C89-B625-E9D3B8C7BF8B.jpeg

24525911-8431-400E-BF8E-F38BB96D328F.jpeg

888C6143-2439-46D3-9A7A-4DCB039336CE.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 8/11/2022 at 6:04 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I'm happy to report that, since I made that recording, the biowheel is spinning happily along.  It was only half wet when I recorded that, and now that it is fully wet, it's going like a champ.  

ohhhhhh this makes sense. Good job little wheel.

On 8/11/2022 at 2:51 AM, Guppysnail said:

Unfortunately it does not work to help the biowheel very well  it did a little but not much  I had 8 of the penguin biowheels running at one point.  I had a miserable time and fussed daily for what seemed like an eternity  I finally figured out adding to much sponge media slows the flow not visibly but just enough the water does not have enough momentum to push the wheel no matter how I put it in

very interesting.... Good to know!  I think that stuff you have is probably the exact same stuff I have.

Which sponge where?  

I guess I forgot to paste the image! (added it) but I meant these ones!

Untitled.png.82ae46cff34a25e832e9d1390e98d01f.png

I worry I misinterpreted that. They separated from their school and were swimming against the current under the outflow. Maybe that stressed them. Maybe it wasn’t the same 2 black neons that got sick. AM I WORRYING TOO MUCH?! 😭Either way, I want to do my best to ensure a comfortable environment for them, and they’ve been thriving in the qt tank with a sponge filter. 

I think you're right.  They'd probably appreciate bubbles to play in, but they seem to be trying to get oxygenation and struggling slightly with the flow.  I think your baffle is a good idea!

I do have some silicone grease as well.  Seems we divers always have that on hand for our o-rings; it prevents dry rot to ensure a proper seal between our regulators and scuba tanks.

I totally should've connected the dots here. LOL.  Yeah! it might help if you ever have any issues 🙂

The little snail, Dodger, was cruising along the bottom and the current was so strong it lifted him up and sent him backwards. And his little antennae were flapping about.  Definitely was too much flow.  I think the baffle was needed for quite some time.  The pristella tetras seem to appreciate the current, and the ram stays in the front.  We know she is really social though.  I'd be interested to see if she enjoys swimming about in the back of the tank more now that the flow issue has been taken care of. 

• Like 1

2 black neons have recovered from columnaris, and none of the other tankmates were affected since I quickly moved them out to quarantine. Tonight they are rejoining the group. They’ve been treated, with breaks in between, from 7/9 - 8/11.

They do have some scarring from the illness which I hope will heal up. Photos with circles are from last week, and the other photos are from today.

A595CF04-A051-4AE1-854E-D70036A1E7FA.jpeg

281CF55C-9377-4100-A242-F363601B0C72.jpeg

6DFBBA58-D3F4-46CE-AD13-3E478AD8A683.jpeg

B4C875C1-BF15-4114-BEC9-BFDC4F2A433D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/11/2022 at 7:03 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

With the baffle in place, the Bolivian ram settled in for a good night’s sleep at the back of the tank. She’s usually always in the front. I’m glad to see she is now more comfortable using other tank space.

Sounds like we're both fixing some issues with the tanks we have!  Good stuff!!!!! I just want us all to have happy happy fish.

• Love 1

On 8/11/2022 at 5:51 AM, Guppysnail said:

Here is what I use on all my canisters unfortunately it’s out of stock but other places have it. 1106B873-4252-4BBF-BC9E-5E4B65B57B68.png.420bdb67f5fa5362eccc2b3afdf728d7.png

Unfortunately it does not work to help the biowheel very well  it did a little but not much  I had 8 of the penguin biowheels running at one point.  I had a miserable time and fussed daily for what seemed like an eternity  I finally figured out adding to much sponge media slows the flow not visibly but just enough the water does not have enough momentum to push the wheel no matter how I put it in   I ended up just using less and they worked fine.  I did have one the plastic nub got npbent a fract so it would not spin properly.  When it did spin it wobbled ever so slightly.  I ended up replacing that one.  Hope that helps  they are cool but a complete PITA.  I threw the wheels away in the few I still have up and jammed Peace lilies in them 🤣

Oh and 1 anthurium.. great red flowers on them 😁

Vaseline works on bio wheels but you you need the max flow. Once the filter starts to be any less efficient the wheels stop.  Good grade lithium grease works to. Really not grease is ok as long as it says food safe

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 3:04 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Added some anacharis yesterday to try to break up the war zone area where little fights break out at meal time. Looks kinda crappy but I never claimed to be no aquascape professional. Heh.

I know it's not remotely possible, but... would be fun to work on someone's tank for a day.  You come and work on my algae mess, I'll mess with yours! 😂

I dig the way you have the wood arched over one another in that way.  I tend to do that a lot with my hardscapes and it's so nice when things grow in and the fish have these lanes to go into.

• Thanks 1