On 7/5/2022 at 6:03 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The water parameters were not good and/or snails are stressed.  I tested ammonia and nitrite. Ammonia was at about a .2 but I used Prime so it's nontoxic ammonia.

I'll check back in the thread, but this makes me wonder what filtration is on the tank/system.  (Edit: Ok so I see two sponges.... the investigation continues) 

^^ It might help stability to add some hardscape. Lava rocks or something. Just more things for bacteria to grow on that isn't wood or sponge.  I think what you have is perfectly fine and will work, but I just wanted to mention it for the sake of trying to give you some options if you run into issues.  Adding the pots also works!

On 7/5/2022 at 6:03 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I am thankful that I decide to use sand vs. bare bottom.  It allows them to do what they need to do for their own wellbeing. They know best.  I'm just along for the ride. And what an amazing one it has been. Loving every minute.

Very fun reading this! Love it.

On 7/5/2022 at 3:30 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

And lastly, they finished off their anubia stems meal and here’s the leftovers. Besides all the floating leaves. 🤷🏻‍♀️

omg........  Poor little anubias! 😱

image.png.a8698bf8bbbbf9bd0e78c2dc29be2c54.png

The one on the right I am guessing is barteri/coffefolia?  What is that one on the left! I like it.... very beautiful!

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 11:56 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

^^ It might help stability to add some hardscape. Lava rocks or something. Just more things for bacteria to grow on that isn't wood or sponge.

Hi @nabokovfan87! 😊  My moms got some river rocks in her yard. I can steal some this weekend.

What is that one on the left! I like it.... very beautiful!

The one on the right was anubias coffeefolia. It melted since that pic but ACO swapped it for a gift card. They are the best. The roots are still there and might do something. I was careful NOT to glue the rhizome. Does it look like the little white shoots are new growth?

The one on the left is anubias barteri. I think it looks kinda tropical. 

Very fun reading this! Love it.

You should scroll up a few and read about the very important mission of the Snail Team Six operatives. 🤣

2DAF7EDD-9D9C-4A28-85C5-67AF5AB5DF96.jpeg

• Haha 1

Since I haven’t posted much about the breeder box lately. There are 4 minis in there. I’m sure they’d be ok in the growout but I worry that they might end up in the gravel vac, so I am letting them grow more.

My friend had recently asked, hey, didn’t you have more snails? Well, yes. Some of them I found as empty shells when I checked on them. For what reason I do not know. Some escaped the breeder box, I am sure. The nylon covered most of the slats but not the top part, and babies can fit through there. Did the best with my resources. However what is under the breeder box is a school of tetras. So, when they see something fall.. well, it’s lunch.  There is a Bolivian ram that is always picking at stuff on the bottom of the tank, grazing. But some snails may be in the tank. I found some in the tank before and returned them to the box but who knows? May be others. There’s a bunch of plants and the big spiderwood, so I can’t really see everything.

I don’t know if I will find an LFS to buy snails. One said probably but they have death in their tanks, too often. The other was a firm “no snails”. I cringe at big box stores but I did call the one that has the best maintained tanks, and they weren’t interested. So, I’m researching local aquarium clubs and toying with the idea of listing them on Nextdoor. Since I may get inexperienced aquarists on Nextdoor, I’d want to include a care sheet with each snail adoption. 🙂  Maybe give a little bit of food out with the snails to get them started. That’s a back burner idea. I’d prefer aquarium club first.

77239F9B-B230-4CA7-91F5-10E9CAFBC8E4.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 7/7/2022 at 10:19 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

give a little bit of food

I do this with fish I adopt out to help them transition to new food. Most folks appreciate it some get offended and tell me they know what they are doing and don’t need it. If I moved to a foreign country I would sure want a stash of cheeseburgers to get me started 🤣

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2022 at 9:03 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The water parameters were not good and/or snails are stressed.  I tested ammonia and nitrite. Ammonia was at about a .2 but I used Prime so it's nontoxic ammonia. Nitrite was 0. I didn't run any other test. I should have though, to get more information. 

@nabokovfan87 I'm starting to suspect the tap is a problem because between this tank and my other tank, the .2 seems to be a new norm?  I've been adding Fritz Zyme during water changes and I use Prime. I don't know if this is the false Prime reading or what, but prior to this I used AquaSafe and was always at a zero.  I think I've seen you suggest a tap test before - something about putting an airstone into some water for a few hours? 

On 7/7/2022 at 12:03 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I don't know if this is the false Prime reading or what, but prior to this I used AquaSafe and was always at a zero.

Try testing it out of the tank. Just from the tap, before and after adding prime.

On 7/7/2022 at 12:03 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I think I've seen you suggest a tap test before - something about putting an airstone into some water for a few hours? 

Yes.

Test water from the tap (I usually add prime)

Then aerate for 24 hours and retest.

That's what the water actually is after off-gassing.

Then you compare that to your tank.

• Thanks 1

Got a little bit of footage of the random mystery snail. He’s finally big enough that I can see he has a black foot! I’ve never had a mystery snail with a black foot, that I can recall. 😍 Also yesterday I caught him eating with the group in the dish for the first time! He’s making friends!

Also the limpets somehow made it over to this tank and seem to be multiplying. I’m cool with it. They are cleaning the glass.

9D2DB252-66C2-435D-9ED1-E0D61DEA9ADE.jpeg

09B6347B-F249-4414-9179-ED2905202ACE.jpeg

C87C0673-55FC-42E0-9A7E-F4B2399D6FEB.jpeg

4E32DD66-C032-40AA-8100-66651CB03BF9.jpeg

• Love 2

I found a local aquarium club. It's actually 2 hours away. They will allow me to auction snails but they require them to be bagged. I am hesitant due to ammonia build up in the bag. They'd be in there for the trip, throughout the meeting/auction, and then, potentially, on the drive home if they don't get sold. What do you guys think?  

@Guppysnail

Today York laid clutch 7 behind the outflow.  A little marble-sized clutch.

• Haha 1

Mine always laying groups at a time. I usually get a marble at the beginning and one at the end of each marathon laying. I did get a marble from my magentas first also. It was tucked up under the rim on the front. I never seen it until I squished it cleaning the glass. 🤪

Edited by Guppysnail

On bagging I have seen many at just the two auctions I went to. I’m not thrilled to see snail tucked in rolling about clanking together. I was considering an inexpensive clear disposable container vs bag. Apparently they do ok bagged though. Don’t supplemental feed for at least 24 hours prior. Though it’s impossible to actually fast them and I’m not certain it’s good for them with the difference in their poor digestion and amount they need. 

On 7/8/2022 at 10:55 AM, Guppysnail said:

On bagging I have seen many at just the two auctions I went to. I’m not thrilled to see snail tucked in rolling about clanking together. I was considering an inexpensive clear disposable container vs bag. Apparently they do ok bagged though. Don’t supplemental feed for at least 24 hours prior. Though it’s impossible to actually fast them and I’m not certain it’s good for them with the difference in their poor digestion and amount they need. 

I don't even know where to purchase bags!  🙄 Other than buy rice and oatmeal from the bulk section of the grocery store and then use those bags.

Also I suppose I could transport them in tupperware & wet paper towels and bag them when I get there.  But then i don't know if it would be a shock to them to drop them in water - I have no way other than the cooler to control the temperature of the water.  The meeting is tomorrow.  Another occurs in 1 month.

Maybe I will pay another LFS a visit rather than taking such a journey.

On 7/8/2022 at 11:08 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I don't even know where to purchase bags!  🙄 Other than buy rice and oatmeal from the bulk section of the grocery store and then use those bags.

Also I suppose I could transport them in tupperware & wet paper towels and bag them when I get there.  But then i don't know if it would be a shock to them to drop them in water - I have no way other than the cooler to control the temperature of the water.  The meeting is tomorrow.  Another occurs in 1 month.

I seen a few leave them in the cheap disposable Tupperware alternative and the club was ok with that. I bought bags on Amazon but it’s cheaper to ask the LFS or big box for a few bags and rubber bands if you only need a few. I have also used double zipper ziploc freezer bag with the corner points tapped folded so no one gets trapped  then duct tape the opening but it looks horrible and sloppy. Very amateur hour..but that’s me most days 🤣

• Haha 1

On 7/8/2022 at 11:20 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

How many snails were in each bag?

Anywhere from 5-6 to like 20 of different sizes. Kind of bothered me but that is because they are treasured pets I respect and think actually have feelings. To some folks it’s an income source commodity at least they are sharing them and they have a chance to find a loving home where someone will name them and feed them generous yum yum 😁

On 7/8/2022 at 11:32 AM, Guppysnail said:

Anywhere from 5-6 to like 20 of different sizes. Kind of bothered me but that is because they are treasured pets I respect and think actually have feelings. To some folks it’s an income source commodity at least they are sharing them and they have a chance to find a loving home where someone will name them and feed them generous yum yum 😁

I was thinking like 2 snails/bag or 3 snails/bag.  Because I don't think anyone should travel solo. 🙂 

On 7/7/2022 at 1:25 PM, Guppysnail said:

I do this with fish I adopt out to help them transition to new food. Most folks appreciate it some get offended and tell me they know what they are doing and don’t need it. If I moved to a foreign country I would sure want a stash of cheeseburgers to get me started 🤣

When they get offended I find it to be a red flag.  Me, I would be like, “Wow, that’s a nice write up.  Good job looking out for your babies.  I’ll make sure to read through it, I’m always picking up great tips from other aquarists.”  If they get offended they’re usually intermediate experience, think they know it all, but are really NOT actually that confident.  Most truly experienced aquarists I don’t think would even bother to be offended, they would just encourage you on a job well done.

When @Fish Folk did his “How I box fish” thread, I was very impressed with his handout and thought it was a great idea and very well done.  Heck, I send “how to” write ups with my live food cultures I’ve sold locally.  I thought I was the only “weirdo” that did things like that until I found this forum of like-minded people.  😉 😃 😊 

• Thanks 2

On 7/6/2022 at 5:58 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

948EC91A-7348-4A56-AF94-5D2BABEF1E6D.jpeg

9A8F412A-82A1-4ECE-BEA5-3DDC79EE65DE.jpeg

I am still finding the perfect balance of nutrients for my plants. Some, I have gotten it spot on and my snails and shrimp are removing old leaf growth from before I got the plants healthy. Red plants?

I'm not there yet😅

This video helped me a lot:

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2022 at 9:08 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I would wait until next month, if possible.

These are good bags, package one snail/bag, and throw in some sponge or hornwort. I keep sponge in my tanks, specifically to grow beneficial bacteria for fish, shrimp, or snails to be packed and shipped with. I learned the idea from one of Cory's videos on international shippers.

Breather bags work great for fish and snails that *don't* surface breathe. They do require being wrapped in paper for packaging, so the bag can breathe. They can't touch each other during transport.

We have many NMAS members who travel 2+ hours to come to meetings in 110 F weather. A cooler in the car keeps temps more consistent. If a piece of seeded sponge in the fish bag will give the snail something to crawl on, and will process any waste into nitrates. I have brought home snails, shrimp and fish from our auctions, where the animals have been bagged for up to 24 hours, and zero ammonia ot nitrites in the bags where the animals had plants/sponge in with them. 

No sponge or plant?

You can smell the waste in the water, even after only 4 hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2022 at 12:39 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Thank you so much @Torrey. Wait til next month, why? Think they’re too young?

Wait until next month so the bags can get delivered to you😁

Or (if you are going tomorrow), you can buy ziploc bags, I have delivered in ziplocks before🤷🏼‍♂️

I think I have found an even better solution. Went to a few LFS today. The one I initially didn’t want to sell to has changed owners. The mother retired and gave the business to her son. The tanks look better. This is what their snail tank looks like today. And they said I could come in tomorrow to talk to the son, and that he likes to support locals. Buying from the community also saves him fees.

4071403D-3C85-40C5-A082-87AB732B73FF.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 1:28 PM, Torrey said:

If a piece of seeded sponge in the fish bag will give the snail something to crawl on, and will process any waste into nitrates

I have seen people put a chunk of the ammonia-removing sponge in bags before.

—-

Guess what? My first baby has left the nest and went to a very good friend; the one who quickly asked if she could have a snail when I announced I was hatching eggs. Here are some of her tanks, and here is the baby acclimating. She put him into quarantine with a like-sized nerite. After he was released, we watched a movie. When we went to check on him later, we found he had traveled. He must have gotten tired after tank exploration because he was snoozing next to an algae wafer. 🤣 He will go into a planted 10gal after his quarantine.

670AB9EA-2574-4390-B347-E34ED6E6C6CB.jpeg

6010BCEE-3B4D-4585-9F97-17BE4E030CF1.jpeg

6EDB8F8B-36D1-436E-9533-B0DDEC2393A1.jpeg

9E350BB9-3BFA-403E-A8DB-A79DA1E603A5.jpeg

08C63851-CC62-4ABA-9590-CD083B4DA7DC.jpeg

F3184D2F-0D6B-4921-AD25-095C8B00CE9A.jpeg