Alright, I texted her. She has named the mystery snail Goldie.  

The neighbor that wanted to adopt snails didn't show; she had car troubles, but another neighbor is going to come tonight to adopt 4.  She already has 2 snails, so she is expanding the snail family.  🙂

I also decided to run a little ad in a simple, small-town newspaper where I live to get some more snails adopted.  The aquarium club is a nice idea, but I'm not enthused about the 2 hour drive required, and transporting the little guys all that way.  I'd just as soon try to stay in the vicinity and adopt out to hobbyists and give out the little snail care sheets. It would be funny if I titled them adoption certificates. 🤣

My other friend (the silly one) had attempted to name every snail.  Of course I can't tell them apart, but just for funsies, here's what she and I came up with.  Also I think we came up with more names than there were snails, but whatever. And the misspellings are intentional because they needed to be authentic. Here you go!

• Speedy
  • Racer
  • Lightning
  • Gordon
  • Earnhardt, Jr
  • Zippy
  • Flash
  • Squeaks 
  • Nibbles
  • Eddie
  • Shelbie
  • Gary 
  • Hobbit
  • Snurl bringer of Doom
  • Slurper
  • Roomba
  • Coolio
  • Sparkles
  • Escargoon
  • Mano
  • Slip
  • Trip
  • Skidmark
  • Spike
  • Slowpoke
  • Buddha
  • Zoomer
  • Dash
  • Slime Shady
  • Dr. Slimy
  • Shell-shocker
  • Scooter
  • Little Bo Peek
  • Poppyseed
  • Happy Trails
  • Turbo
  • Tuiquilla
  • Tort
  • Luna
  • Snitch
  • Bulldozer
  • Boogie Man
  • Tubthumper
  • Slider 
  • Bob (there's always a Bob)
  • Manchester
  • Snape
  • Dobby
  • Rolo
  • Bon Bon
  • Freddie Merkie
  • Shelly White
  • Aqua Fini
  • Mad Max
  • Cuckoo
  • Zelda
  • Goomba
  • Gizmo
  • Gumps
  • Dumptruck
  • Kia
  • Appletini
  • Bissell
  • Super Soaker
  • Hudson
  • Fri
  • Qbert
  • Mario
  • Slimer
  • Snoo-Snoo
  • Romeo
  • Marble
  • Button
  • Munchie
  • Crunchy
  • Brutus
  • Hulk
  • Zorak
  • Ozrielle
  • Peach
  • Cupcake
  • Princess
  • Fuzzy
  • Spot
  • Sushi
  • Quarter Pounder
  • Tot
  • Dot
  • Bumble bee
  • Phish
Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/20/2022 at 10:01 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

adoption certificates. 🤣

I think every aquatic critter needs these. Fur pets get them…even the adopters are screened for suitability. It relays the importance of proper care and the responsibility you accept when adopting a wet pet.  🥰🤗❤️

• Like 1

A couple came today and adopted 4 snails. They are setting up a 160 gallon but the snails will go into a smaller, established tank for now. They already have 2 mystery snails (1 gold, 1 ivory) and were very knowledgeable about parameters and calcium requirements for snails, etc. They told me they believe if you adopt a creature, you should do your homework first on its care.

They were very excited and have kids that love aquariums too. I gave them a care sheet anyway, but they are already feeding their snails zucchini and cucumber. My babies are gonna be spoiled over there. ORD 😍

• Love 2

On 7/20/2022 at 3:03 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Just for fun..  I'm just disappointed the video didn't have circus music or perhaps even the Benny Hill theme song.

My new nerites are ALL getting baby carrots today.🤣 Nemo never liked them but I’m going to try to get at least one to do this!  Hysterical.  

Did you make a version of your care sheet that is easily printable?  I can DM you my email if you did. It looks like I will need one. 

On 7/21/2022 at 8:44 AM, Guppysnail said:

Did you make a version of your care sheet that is easily printable?  I can DM you my email if you did. It looks like I will need one. 

Yep, it's here. You may just want to edit the pH thing because my comment about it is specific to my local county.

On 7/21/2022 at 8:44 AM, Guppysnail said:

My new nerites are ALL getting baby carrots today.🤣 Nemo never liked them but I’m going to try to get at least one to do this!  Hysterical.

Let me know how it works out!  My zebra refuses to be pampered!

• Thanks 1

Over the past few days, I noticed the snails were becoming lethargic. I have been constantly monitoring parameters and providing the nutrition they need.

Also, water changes occur twice daily to ensure ammonia stays in check, and to ensure food waste does not build up. 

Despite this, the limpet population is getting crazy. You know I had to pick limpets off of most snail shells before they couple came over to adopt snails? Also I used a credit card to push a lot of the limpets down into the sand so the the tank had good aesthetic.

So last night I decided to fast them, and so I pulled out the green bean before I went to bed.

This morning, all snails were active and cruising around. I think I will continue this process. I have read that snails can overeat and get tummy aches. Some were even laying upside down sometimes which was alarming.

So, to summarize, snails before fasting:

5045368D-F5E2-4F1C-9329-36E5646229CF.jpeg.20f691023f7bba58d0f42c3d4027718f.jpeg

Snails at the end of the fast. See how they are all over the tank now? 

791D4033-4110-4708-9A9F-DE0039C57E96.jpeg.ce149cdd8d4b2b14cf1530a71b705bb7.jpeg

• Like 2

I got some new plants for the tank. Water sprite and anacharis. The snails seem to be enjoying them, and the plants will will help me with parameters. 

FCE12E41-9EAC-48C2-8C47-F4C8F513AD2B.jpeg.979151558a3c111b06aa1a3fbf1a3c2a.jpeg

EDE931B5-C735-4C20-99A1-4B64FBAA13F9.jpeg.5afa0a24d2ef70434c794cd4e976d4eb.jpeg

BE655896-8983-4707-A573-D37970DF969B.jpeg.96c1a6d4bf73ed3b98b935cbac24d4be.jpeg

5387780A-CA09-41A9-9C56-D421DB32EA60.jpeg.6fa77ff3ff2e160f9072ed34f3a03057.jpeg

When I put the plants into the tank, I noticed something floating. A ramshorn snail, I believe. I don’t think this little guy made it.. I had done a 16 hour seltzer soak. Look at his color. A complete camouflage with the plant material. Bummer.

362CC89B-FD84-40D1-B455-DA02E2F42E16.jpeg.f6adf87d889af279c0e04b3b98cf969d.jpeg

• Like 1

I did do a small water change on the snail tank.  I probably didn't need to. I only had a .1 ammonia reading, but I am used to going through the motions, and I wanted to vacuum their little dish.  I thought it would be a good time to cull some of the limpets, as many of them are very visible when the water level drops. It takes them time to get back down into the drink. Anyway,  two quick swipes of a test kit card and I had about 30 limpets.  I know I can drop them into seltzer water, and that would be the end of it.  So... well... I put them all back into the tank.  Because I know they're snails!  I couldn't do it!  Lord, help me. 

At 3:50 in this video is a really good shot of limpets.  As you can see, their little mouths are like nerites'.  Seeing them close up like this makes me appreciate them.  I read something online though. It said if you get a nerite it can outcompete limpets for food.  This is an option?  Good excuse to get another nerite.  Or would that be cruel?  A slower limpet death of starvation?  Sigh. I'm so conflicted.  I do spend some time over on Father Fish's YouTube channels also, and he's always encouraging everybody to embrace the little creatures, embrace the microorganisms, you don't want a sterile tank, everything has a purpose.  The only thing that really bothers me is they are obstructing view all the time, and a week or so ago I cleaned the glass to get rid of the algae they were eating (the mystery snails travel on the glass but don't really "clean" it), and so all the limpets moved onto the plants, decorations, driftwood, and (most annoyingly) snail shells.  So usually 75% of the mysteries have hitchhikers.  So as my ad is about to hit the little town paper and people come over for snail adoptions, 1) is it going to be off-putting to see a tank full of limpets (would that concern them or prevent a snail sale?) or 2) I have to pick up and inspect every snail in the tank to remove limpets prior to the sale.  😭

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 8:23 AM, Katherine said:

Your female is still alone, right? So this is another from before you got her? Are you planning to hatch more?

Recently Dodger was added. I don't know Dodger's gender, and I haven't seen them mate.  I'm not sure if York is still laying held eggs, but I assume she is, since she was alone in the tank for clutches 1-10?  I don't plan to hatch more. At least not yet. I'm having trouble finding them homes. The nearest aquarium club is 2 hours, the LFS doesn't take good care of snails (puts them in with turtles; the turtles are eating them). The big box store would take them as a "donation" but we all know the deal with big box stores. I want to do my best to ensure they have a nice future.

• Like 1

Limpets can hang out on the underside lip of mystery snail shells. Yes folks seeing them in mass quantities may be deterred. Though I love all things snail I heavily control my limpets and bladder snails for the reason of biofilm competition.  Biofilm I have noticed seems to be an essential snail food. I also don’t want every surface covered in them eating every drop of beneficial bacteria in my tank. I don’t think it’s possible but it does go through my crazy brain. Adding nerites to control limpets may work but you are still in a situation where there is then not enough biofilm yummies for everyone.  

I hate culling but in nature they have natural predators that keep the population in check and balanced. In my tanks I have to perform that function. So as much as it hurts me I do it for the overall health of my ecosystems.  

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 8:57 AM, Guppysnail said:

Limpets can hang out on the underside lip of mystery snail shells. Yes folks seeing them in mass quantities may be deterred. Though I love all things snail I heavily control my limpets and bladder snails for the reason of biofilm competition.  Biofilm I have noticed seems to be an essential snail food. I also don’t want every surface covered in them eating every drop of beneficial bacteria in my tank. I don’t think it’s possible but it does go through my crazy brain. Adding nerites to control limpets may work but you are still in a situation where there is then not enough biofilm yummies for everyone.  

I hate culling but in nature they have natural predators that keep the population in check and balanced. In my tanks I have to perform that function. So as much as it hurts me I do it for the overall health of my ecosystems.  

To cull would be a big job. I'd have to selter basically everything. They are all over the driftwood and pots - that's gonna be a project in itself.  Help lol

On 7/25/2022 at 9:01 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

To cull would be a big job. I'd have to selter basically everything. They are all over the driftwood and pots - that's gonna be a project in itself.  Help lol

Just do what you can off the glass every time you have the water level dropped. Don't try to get all of them at once, you'll drive yourself crazy.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 10:03 AM, Katherine said:

Just do what you can off the glass every time you have the water level dropped. Don't try to get all of them at once, you'll drive yourself crazy.

This is what I meant by cull not a search and destroy 🤣. I can barely see the little buggers. Rules in my tanks for limpets and bladder snails…if you are in the front glass you are culled because you obstruct my view. If you are in the food dish you are culled because I don’t need you eating like a pig and producing way to many more. All others are left to go about their business keeping my tanks tidy n

On 7/25/2022 at 10:03 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Is there regulation about putting limpets into a lake?  I know you cannot add fish, snails, loaches, etc but this is practically a microorganism and there would be things to eat it in a lake.  This is a touchy subject, I am certain.

Do not introduce any living organisms to water bodies please including plant trimmings. Even on a microscopic level they can disrupt the balance. They will consume a native organisms food. 

On 7/25/2022 at 10:05 AM, Guppysnail said:

Do not introduce any living organisms to water bodies please including plant trimmings. Even on a microscopic level they can disrupt the balance. They will consume a native organisms food. 

Makes sense. Thank you. 👍  What I could do is report my results of the seltzer on limpets and post in the RR thread "for the sake of science".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I wish I had known about the RR back when I bought my moss.  That would have prevented this whole thing.  Everything else had a salt dip, but for moss you can't because salt should not be applied to roots.

I'm going to go ahead and link to the RR thread here, in case there is anyone who is following along in the journal here and feels lost.  🙂 

I was onto some videos about Malaysian Trumpet snails the other day, and there are some people that are strong advocates for them, they keep the sand clean, you don't even see them after the lights come on, etc.  Then you look in the comments and there are the horror stories, how they multiply, you can't get rid of them, they get into filters, etc.  I think @Hobbit had quite the experience with them, clogging her powerhead, etc.

• Thanks 2

On 7/25/2022 at 9:53 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I was onto some videos about Malaysian Trumpet snails the other day, and there are some people that are strong advocates for them, they keep the sand clean, you don't even see them after the lights come on, etc.  Then you look in the comments and there are the horror stories, how they multiply, you can't get rid of them, they get into filters, etc.  I think @Hobbit had quite the experience with them, clogging her powerhead, etc.

I saw somewhere that someone had a terrible time trying to clean their sponge filter because it was full of MTS and they're pointy. They couldn't just squeeze it or they'd get stabbed.

Not being able to see the Mets is my fear of them. Not knowing how many there are it’s to hard to control the population.  At a certain point they create more bioload than the mess the clean up as well as they consume oxygen and there is only so much to go around at night when plants are consuming it as well.