And now for something totally different... stand design input

Jawjagrrl

Readers of my side by side journal have seen my Patient Spouse and I reworking a basic homemade stand to house two 75 tanks end to end. 

20220517_144236.jpg.6bdbb98355b387140ac81f10bc3226d2.jpg

We're dangerously close to bringing it inside(!) But in a design quandary on a last detail and can't agree. The doors are teak, the cabinet supports fish, so we thought to use small cleats rather than knobs or traditional door pulls.

20220518_133512.jpg.dd969e0fe70558eacc6a08fea7af5a9b.jpg

Took two tries to get these here - UPS lost the first order. The issue: one of us thinks they are too small visually, and the other does not. I can order larger ones - we've spent weeks already, what's one more to get it right?

Cleats are 2 1/2", panels are 21" high. They currently stick out about 5/8" - the larger the cleat, the more it will stick out. Something to consider for the person servicing the tank. Opinions?

20220518_132715.jpg.ca490074d31ac3a3cb1553781625b5e0.jpg

20220518_132623.jpg.2050ac30c67678d6b42005dcdbffcb8f.jpg

20220518_132648.jpg.6f26950a382191cf5e112e1afc82b004.jpg

Edited by Jawjagrrl
  • Like 3
  • Love 4

On 5/18/2022 at 1:59 PM, Tihshho said:

That is some phenomenal craftsmanship! 

Very kind of you to say! We both come from parents that also loved working in wood and enjoy building things. We built our chicken coop from scratch 2 years ago 🙂

any thoughts on the cleats? 

I could also go with a different style cleat that would be 4". But it is bronze vs high shine brass...

20220518_141200.jpg.d795da42909a43aa4402ca91e1f6c4dc.jpg

On 5/18/2022 at 3:32 PM, ndfi78 said:

I can understand the "too small" side. Is it worth waiting to replace them? Idk... I'm an impatient person, so I probably would not wait. 😄

You sound like me! But I've gotten better over the years, knowing from experience that it's easier to get it right the first time than touching it twice.

On 5/18/2022 at 2:54 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Jawjagrrli love the cleats, nautical theme detected what’s not to like? Visual impact how can you overcome the beauty of the wood?! Anything louder would distract from that gorgeous stand and wood!

It's developed into an odd cross of rustic colonial (because all the cool people in 1690 had big tanks, haha) and mid century modern. I'm really glad we "veneered" the vertical supports with some the teak offcuts. When this size cleat was chosen it was with the aesthetic that the wood be the "hero" of the piece. The hardware was originally all bronze but I like the bit of shine that calls to mind a well maintained ship! Hopefully the same will be true of the tanks when they are running 🙂

• Love 1

On 5/18/2022 at 7:19 PM, Ken Sonnier said:

I think keeping it smaller would be my route . I mean as others have pointed out the woodwork is great . Something larger may take away from the wood as the focal point . 

Agreed! We may make up some coasters for the room from some of the leftover teak to continue the theme (and protect the mid century end table also in this room).

Edited by Jawjagrrl
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 2:13 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

20220518_141200.jpg.d795da42909a43aa4402ca91e1f6c4dc.jpg

First off the wood is beautiful, teak has such amazing grain and character. I like these the best ⬆️. Also believe the bronze will look better against the wood and wouldn’t be a distraction from the beauty of the wood it would highlight it more as a accent that follows the theme. 
of coarse it comes down to your personal opinion. I’ve been a cabinet/ bookcase builder/ installer for over 30 years and To me the ones you show on the door are way to small for doors that size. 
good luck with your decision, no matter which way you go it will be beautiful.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2022 at 3:00 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I don't even know how I'd do it, but I'd totally smash my head into that handle accidentally. Be careful!

It might not surprise you that when the idea of larger cleats came up, I measured both how far from the surface of the door it would extend and what part of my body would potentially run into it while working on the tank (kneecap). The doors sit back from the top rail almost 1/2" which does help.

On 5/19/2022 at 5:20 AM, Atitagain said:

First off the wood is beautiful, teak has such amazing grain and character. I like these the best ⬆️. Also believe the bronze will look better against the wood and wouldn’t be a distraction from the beauty of the wood it would highlight it more as a accent that follows the theme. 
of coarse it comes down to your personal opinion. I’ve been a cabinet/ bookcase builder/ installer for over 30 years and To me the ones you show on the door are way to small for doors that size. 
good luck with your decision, no matter which way you go it will be beautiful.

Both of us "signed off" when the brass ones were ordered, but wasn't until yesterday that anything was said about this style of cleat. 🤷‍♀️ 

Thing is, I've already mounted bright brass hinges. In your pro opinion, would mixing the metals be weird? I did find larger versions of the style I already have on hand... for almost $25 each. Not trying to cheap out at the finish line, but another $100 for hardware has me imagining the fish I could add...

On 5/19/2022 at 7:39 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

$100 for hardware has me imagining the fish I could add...

What do you mean? It's not just another $100 of hardware, its hardware for the OTHER stand so you can add even more fish 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So the decision has been made, you all have been very helpful. The cleats I have now look smaller than the measurement suggests given their shape, and I do like the closed base cleat that cannot be confused as something that *might* be a tieback for curtains.

So... found a shiny brass base cleat that is almost an inch longer - it will feel optically larger than that given it's more substantive shape. Was it more expensive? Yup! But less than the 4" ones... and if I am going to bang my knee on these eventually, I like the rounded shape better 😉20220519_134726.jpg.e32f175d8a027237cab47ebb83c3b3ab.jpg

Thank again to all that weighed in! Hope to have a journal update this weekend that includes this in the house!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 5/19/2022 at 12:54 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

So the decision has been made, you all have been very helpful. The cleats I have now look smaller than the measurement suggests given their shape, and I do like the closed base cleat that cannot be confused as something that *might* be a tieback for curtains.

So... found a shiny brass base cleat that is almost an inch longer - it will feel optically larger than that given it's more substantive shape. Was it more expensive? Yup! But less than the 4" ones... and if I am going to bang my knee on these eventually, I like the rounded shape better 😉20220519_134726.jpg.e32f175d8a027237cab47ebb83c3b3ab.jpg

Thank again to all that weighed in! Hope to have a journal update this weekend that includes this in the house!

Ooh, like that one even better than either of the others.

• Like 1

cleats are a nice idea. i myself would stay with smaller ones, as you dont want the end of the cleat intruding into your body when you are close to the tank doing maintenance. sometimes even going without can get a nice look. not fish related, but i just built a cabinet to house guitar amps bought a handle for opening the door, and when i got the cabinet finished, decided it looked decent( i say decent as im more of a crapenter than carpenter LOL) without a knob or handle. you have to go with what looks good to you, but like i said, dont want something poking you when cleaning the tanks.

• Like 1

Gorgeous stand! That pointy bottom is gonna smart a fair bit when your knee inevitably hits it...I wonder, would it be a completely dumb idea to orient them horizontally rather than vertically?

On 5/20/2022 at 10:20 PM, lefty o said:

cleats are a nice idea. i myself would stay with smaller ones, as you dont want the end of the cleat intruding into your body when you are close to the tank doing maintenance. sometimes even going without can get a nice look. not fish related, but i just built a cabinet to house guitar amps bought a handle for opening the door, and when i got the cabinet finished, decided it looked decent( i say decent as im more of a crapenter than carpenter LOL) without a knob or handle. you have to go with what looks good to you, but like i said, dont want something poking you when cleaning the tanks.

I'm a big fan of mid century furniture but ironically find myself in a historical colonial home much like the one I grew up in. One piece of mine that hasn't found a good spot here yet is my Mother's Voice of Music stereo from the early 60s -  an interesting blend of shaker and mid century. It also has a full panel front and the center door has an invisible spring latch. I considered the same here, but we'll see how the cleats look when they arrive. Might be awhile going ground from Bellingham, WA to Georgia! 

But the cabinet is likely making it inside today, next big step. Will add the cleats when they arrive, which will be knee height for me and not as spiky as the other ones should I manage to run into it.

Edited by Jawjagrrl
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 6:46 PM, Streetwise said:

Am I on my sailing forum, or my aquarium forum?

LOL! I was a kid sailor and live near two good lakes my dad sailed before I was born (Lanier and Hartwell). My little green laser waits patiently in the tractor shed for a return to the water. My husband was Navy ROTC and still thinks that way sometimes 😉 he likes to tell me about the flying fish on his summer cruise up to Vancouver years ago.