75 gallon tank filter, hob or canister or both?

dan12boy

Hello everyone. I have a question considering the filters I should buy for my new 75 gallon tank that I’m setting. I got it as a Christmas present but haven’t been able to put it together. Well I started last night but forgot that I don’t know what filters to use. My plan is one hob and one canister filter. My dilemma is that I plan to only have nano fish in there like kuhli loaches, blue eyed rainbowfish, pygmy corydoras, honey gouramis and the likes and it’s gonna be a heavily planted tank. With this in mind I need a filter that will give me flow but definitely not too much and enough to cover any possible ‘dead zones’ that might occur. If one canister will be enough then I can do that but I’m thinking I’ll need a hob or even just two hob no canister, anything that will work good but with not too much flow. Thank you for any help!

• Like 1

I use a hob and a canister on all my tanks. I use the fluval 07 series because the flow is adjustable from a trickle to full blast and if you choose they do make spray bars for them.  I have them with Celestial pearl danio and Pygmy corydora they are great and silent. I place the outflow in the right corner. On the left I use the hob wit the input to the canister on the right of the hob.  For aeration I prefer the design of the marine land penguin hob. The outflow skims the surface creating surface agitation without dumping heavy flow straight down into the tank.  A medium ACO prefilter fits the intake on all 07 fluval canister models (a slight tug to stretch the interior hole) and the marine land hob.  

I also tuck an ACO nano sponge filter somewhere in the tank for extra aeration and in case I need a qt tank or a sponge to jump start another tank. 
Hope that helps and I hope you share your setup and tank journey journal.  Good luck. 

• Like 1

I’m running a 75 with a HOB and a canister. It’s an mbuna tank, so not heavily planted. (Just some Java ferns and anubias.) The water stays super clean, but the fx4 alone would probably be fine as far as filtration, but I am a bit overstocked. I run a spray bar on the fx4 to diffuse the flow and break up the surface. I do run a small power head as well because Mbuna like a nice flow. The HOB for me is basically supplemental and eliminates a dead zone at the end of the spray bar. Hope this was helpful.

Edited by TheBlueBeetle

Let’s skip the basics. I’ll assume you’re thoroughly familiar with how the nitrogen cycle works, and grasp the functional differences between and uses of equipment.

If I had the money to do this, I would go with a canister filter. I have seen a dual HOB inflow design connected to canisters before. The HOBs aren’t filters with impellers, rather they’re just hanging boxes into which I suppose extra elements could be added for increased filtration. They can be easily adjusted around the back edge to focus flow.

That all said… I just run sponge filters and HOBs on my tanks. Sponges are my preferred method. I’m going to build a matten filter with a powerhead + spray-bar for a stream-tank design soon. But that’s probably not what you’re going to want here.

Edited by Fish Folk

On 5/13/2022 at 6:57 AM, Guppysnail said:

I use a hob and a canister on all my tanks. I use the fluval 07 series because the flow is adjustable from a trickle to full blast and if you choose they do make spray bars for them.  I have them with Celestial pearl danio and Pygmy corydora they are great and silent. I place the outflow in the right corner. On the left I use the hob wit the input to the canister on the right of the hob.  For aeration I prefer the design of the marine land penguin hob. The outflow skims the surface creating surface agitation without dumping heavy flow straight down into the tank.  A medium ACO prefilter fits the intake on all 07 fluval canister models (a slight tug to stretch the interior hole) and the marine land hob.  

I also tuck an ACO nano sponge filter somewhere in the tank for extra aeration and in case I need a qt tank or a sponge to jump start another tank. 
Hope that helps and I hope you share your setup and tank journey journal.  Good luck. 

Thank you so much! Would you say the 07 is on the cheaper or more pricier side? And how is the maintenance of the canister? That’s one of the cons I’ve heard about canisters, that maintaining them is a lot. Another question I have is whether you have tops for your tank? I don’t have one currently on my 20 gallon and that’s the only reason the flow ever goes down but I reduce it when I see the water level has depleted some. My tank is in the high 70s so that’s why it evaporates. Not too fast but below the filter’s outake after a couple days, like a day or 2 before water changes since I do those weekly.

On 5/13/2022 at 6:57 AM, TheBlueBeetle said:

I’m running a 75 with a HOB and a canister. It’s an mbuna tank, so not heavily planted. (Just some Java ferns and anubias.) The water stays super clean, but the fx4 alone would probably be fine as far as filtration, but I am a bit overstocked. I run a spray bar on the fx4 to diffuse the flow and break up the surface. I do run a small power head as well because Mbuna like a nice flow. The HOB for me is basically supplemental and eliminates a dead zone at the end of the spray bar. Hope this was helpful.

Thank you!!! I’ll add that canister to my options, what hob do you use on the tank? 

On 5/13/2022 at 6:58 AM, Fish Folk said:

Let’s skip the basics. I’ll assume you’re thoroughly familiar with how the nitrogen cycle works, and grasp the functional differences between and uses of equipment.

If I had the money to do this, I would go with a canister filter. I have seen a dual HOB inflow design connected to canisters before. The HOBs aren’t filters with impellers, rather they’re just hanging boxes into which I suppose extra elements could be added for increased filtration. They can be easily adjusted around the back edge to focus flow.

That all said… I just run sponge filters and HOBs on my tanks. Sponges are my preferred method. I’m going to build a matten filter with a powerhead + spray-bar for a stream-tank design soon. But that’s probably not what you’re going to want here.

Yes I believe I am very familiar with it. That design is really good but that sounds like it’s main purpose is for additional biological filtration but I’m focusing more on having enough flow to avoid dead spots since it will be heavily planted. And I would do sponge filters but I just don’t like the space they take up within the tank and also…bubbles. I might be weird for that but the bubbles from sponge filters aren’t appealing to me albeit I will say they work fantastically as I have one in my now quarantine, soon to be breeding tank. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 9:46 AM, dan12boy said:

Thank you so much! Would you say the 07 is on the cheaper or more pricier side? And how is the maintenance of the canister? That’s one of the cons I’ve heard about canisters, that maintaining them is a lot. Another question I have is whether you have tops for your tank? I don’t have one currently on my 20 gallon and that’s the only reason the flow ever goes down but I reduce it when I see the water level has depleted some. My tank is in the high 70s so that’s why it evaporates. Not too fast but below the filter’s outake after a couple days, like a day or 2 before water changes since I do those weekly.

I would say low mid range. Maintenance is a breeze. I haul a 5 gallon bucket half full of conditioned water to the tank.  Pop the lid rinse media quick in the bucket lube the gaskets and boom I’m back in business. I just did all 6 I have running in 2 hours that included a quick coffee break between each.  The hose lines are the same maintenance as any hose lines gross pain in the butt but only happens here once a year. I have a lid. The way the 07 outflow sits aimed at the surface it turns into a water fall when levels are low vs power washer in mine. If you have a planted tank do not use the phosphate remover pads that come with it. 

oh and I’m very heavy bioloads in all. It takes 2-3 months before they slow down so I clean them only every 2-3 months

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

Have you considered a couple sponge filters with the ACO power head?  You could run the fluval 07 @Guppysnailmentioned, or a seachem tidal 75 as well.  A medium sponge filter with a power head would run less than $30.

if money is a concern, you could start with the the sponges and add a hob later.

Links below

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/equipment/products/aquarium-co-op-power-head

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/sponge-filters/products/aquarium-co-op-coarse-sponge-filter?variant=29459429163077

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 8:46 AM, dan12boy said:

Thank you!!! I’ll add that canister to my options, what hob do you use on the tank? 

My HOB is a Marineland Emperor pro 450 with just some foam in the cartridge slots and some seachem matrix in the media basket. I run a prefilter on both filter intakes, resulting in very little actual maintenance on either actual filter. My temps are 78 in both of my tanks, and I do have tops, although the emperors overflow is a bit bulky and doesnt allow a perfect fit.

On 5/13/2022 at 12:10 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I love the tidals, but just be careful with small fish.  Especially when sleeping, they can get sucked in.

On my 75G I ran 2x 75G tidals.

True.  I use a pre filter for that reason.  

On 5/13/2022 at 11:11 AM, Ken Burke said:

There you go, getting all technical on me

No not at all!

I had a mass of 25+ tiger barbs and watched the filter slowly pick them off. I don't wish that on anyone. I had a WCMM that did really well. Some fish just sleep and have no control over it.

On 5/13/2022 at 10:15 AM, Guppysnail said:

I would say low mid range. Maintenance is a breeze. I haul a 5 gallon bucket half full of conditioned water to the tank.  Pop the lid rinse media quick in the bucket lube the gaskets and boom I’m back in business. I just did all 6 I have running in 2 hours that included a quick coffee break between each.  The hose lines are the same maintenance as any hose lines gross pain in the butt but only happens here once a year. I have a lid. The way the 07 outflow sits aimed at the surface it turns into a water fall when levels are low vs power washer in mine. If you have a planted tank do not use the phosphate remover pads that come with it. 

oh and I’m very heavy bioloads in all. It takes 2-3 months before they slow down so I clean them only every 2-3 months

That's amazing! I'm gonna do some research on the canister just to understand it better. What type of lid do you have on yours?

On 5/13/2022 at 10:40 AM, TheBlueBeetle said:

My HOB is a Marineland Emperor pro 450 with just some foam in the cartridge slots and some seachem matrix in the media basket. I run a prefilter on both filter intakes, resulting in very little actual maintenance on either actual filter. My temps are 78 in both of my tanks, and I do have tops, although the emperors overflow is a bit bulky and doesnt allow a perfect fit.

What does seachem matrix help with? In my current hob for my 20 gallon I just have it filled with sponges! My bioload isn't high right now but it used to be and the sponges alone worked fine for me.

On 5/13/2022 at 2:20 PM, dan12boy said:

What does seachem matrix help with? In my current hob for my 20 gallon I just have it filled with sponges! My bioload isn't high right now but it used to be and the sponges alone worked fine for me.

It''s biologial media to house beneficial bacteria. I use Biohome in the FX4 (and the FX8 on my 125) for the same purpose. The sponges are mainly for cleaning debris from the water, though they do house some bacteria. True biological media has more surface area to hold bacteria that removes ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

Edited by TheBlueBeetle

On 5/13/2022 at 3:26 PM, TheBlueBeetle said:

It''s biologial media to house beneficial bacteria. I use Biohome in the FX4 (and the FX8 on my 125) for the same purpose. The sponges are mainly for cleaning debris from the water, though they do house some bacteria. True biological media has more surface area to hold bacteria that removes ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

That's really cool! I never knew that so thank you for the information. I'll look into some of that to add to my filters because the extra bacteria will be very helpful as I might overstock just a tad bit

On 5/13/2022 at 3:30 PM, Guppysnail said:

All mine are 40 breeder and under and all have standard aqueon or aquarium masters glass lids. 

I would use those but I want to try out using polycarbonate sheets as a diy method. I saw it on youtube I think from Tazawa tanks and they might help by being able to cut specific holes for any equipment.

I use the Eheim Classics and have for the last 20 years. I have owned 2213, 2215 and 2217. I think the best combo of filtration is some form of air driven filter - sponge, biobubbler, etc and a canister. I have setup Fluval canisters and like them. Personally I like the empty canister and putting in what I want. I load mine up up with 30 dpi foam, use the Eheim mech and substrat pro and then use some other finer 15 dpi as well. I know people use pot scrubbers, lava rock, pumice, peat etc in their canisters. The Oase canisters you can put your heater in which is nice for the aquascapers. The Eheim canisters theres different ways to deal with the flow, you can adjust the connector valves on the tubing, you can use a lilly pipe that will baffle the flow, you can point the spray bar backwards toward the glass, etc. 

Hang on backs I have had a few - this is like a Sinatra song. Yet I digress, I am not a fan of Aqueon, Tetra, or Marineland emperor lines. I have a Marina slim on my sons 20L Krobia tank and it's quiet and works well. I have an Aqueon that came with the 15 g tower tank I have and it's ok, not a lot of capacity. Aquaclear's are pretty bullet proof and loads of capacity for media, but as they age like at year 2-5 they can be finicky and require some "adjustments," I find once that starts it is difficult to keep them quiet. Their plastic is very rigid and breaks if dropped. I keep hearing fairly decent things about the Tidals but the whole skimmer things throwing me off as I have loads of floating plants in my tanks and this is a recipe for disaster. I keep the hang on backs in my garage fish room for the most part due to their loudness. 

In my head I have been planning a 75 and or 90 g goldfish tank and I've been thinking sump or 2 big canisters and 2 big sponges with powerheads and venturi valves. 

Meta: What is a filter? Is it a device for removal, digestion, or both?

I run modest tanks with and without filters. Sometimes I like filter tech for flow, and aeration, and sometimes for collecting debris for snacks and digestion.

My plants and ecosystems do most of the work.

• Like 1

Why not under gravel.   The forgotten filtration.  I still use them a lot.  I actually have a canister filter’s intake tube  attached to the filter plate.  I also use power heads with them and some just with air.   Do what you like….

Good Luck 

On 5/13/2022 at 7:08 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I use the Eheim Classics and have for the last 20 years. I have owned 2213, 2215 and 2217. I think the best combo of filtration is some form of air driven filter - sponge, biobubbler, etc and a canister. I have setup Fluval canisters and like them. Personally I like the empty canister and putting in what I want. I load mine up up with 30 dpi foam, use the Eheim mech and substrat pro and then use some other finer 15 dpi as well. I know people use pot scrubbers, lava rock, pumice, peat etc in their canisters. The Oase canisters you can put your heater in which is nice for the aquascapers. The Eheim canisters theres different ways to deal with the flow, you can adjust the connector valves on the tubing, you can use a lilly pipe that will baffle the flow, you can point the spray bar backwards toward the glass, etc. 

Hang on backs I have had a few - this is like a Sinatra song. Yet I digress, I am not a fan of Aqueon, Tetra, or Marineland emperor lines. I have a Marina slim on my sons 20L Krobia tank and it's quiet and works well. I have an Aqueon that came with the 15 g tower tank I have and it's ok, not a lot of capacity. Aquaclear's are pretty bullet proof and loads of capacity for media, but as they age like at year 2-5 they can be finicky and require some "adjustments," I find once that starts it is difficult to keep them quiet. Their plastic is very rigid and breaks if dropped. I keep hearing fairly decent things about the Tidals but the whole skimmer things throwing me off as I have loads of floating plants in my tanks and this is a recipe for disaster. I keep the hang on backs in my garage fish room for the most part due to their loudness. 

In my head I have been planning a 75 and or 90 g goldfish tank and I've been thinking sump or 2 big canisters and 2 big sponges with powerheads and venturi valves. 

Do eheim canisters have space for the heater? Thank you for the info! I have had my tetra hob for just a year but so far it has been really good, the flow control is great . I have tried finding the exact same one as it came from a set but I haven't been able to.