Random thoughts

Ken Burke

Am I the only one that wishes for streaming video of their fish tanks?

Have a tense phone call? Watch fish swim

Get bad news? Watch fish swim

Long grueling meeting? You got it - WATCH FISH SWIM!

Wouldn’t that be nice?  Wouldn’t it.

• Like 3
  • Love 5

When my son moved his bedroom downstairs, I moved my home office into his previous room. He decided he wanted to take my 46G with him since he’s always had an aquarium in his room. I immediately felt a loss and knew I needed another tank to replace it and that’s when I got my 10G Betta tank that I get to watch all day while I work. 
I wish I had a livestream of my 46G now though. I miss it, having it tucked away downstairs. 

• Like 2

My office is in the back of the house, and the aquariums are in the front.  I livestream to my office now. Fish behavior is different when we aren't in the room.  If I ever find smaller waterproof cameras, I will add other fishcams.

• Like 2

I used to record about 10 minutes of a tank and upload it to youtube just so I could watch it at work if I needed a fix. 😄

I quit doing it though because I just sit and think "oh I should get in and do this or that" and I obsess over it until I can get home and do it.  But this post made me look back at them and it's nice to see the evolution of things. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Several years ago I had set up a webcam on my tank that updated a photo to my website once every 30 seconds. It was too slow to watch fish swim but in a time-lapse of the images you could really watch the snails scoot!

I've got a better computer, a better webcam, and a better tank now, so I really should spend a bit of time trying to set up a video stream. I hadn't felt the need because I have a small tank on my desk at work too, but I can tell I'm starting to lose connection with my fish at home. (If I only see them during feeding time and water changes, why bother having them at all?)

• Sad 1

On 4/6/2022 at 11:18 AM, drewzero1 said:

Several years ago I had set up a webcam on my tank that updated a photo to my website once every 30 seconds. It was too slow to watch fish swim but in a time-lapse of the images you could really watch the snails scoot!

I've got a better computer, a better webcam, and a better tank now, so I really should spend a bit of time trying to set up a video stream. I hadn't felt the need because I have a small tank on my desk at work too, but I can tell I'm starting to lose connection with my fish at home. (If I only see them during feeding time and water changes, why bother having them at all?)

I wish I could have a tank at work…..

On 4/6/2022 at 10:13 AM, zelibeli said:

I used to record about 10 minutes of a tank and upload it to youtube just so I could watch it at work if I needed a fix. 😄

I quit doing it though because I just sit and think "oh I should get in and do this or that" and I obsess over it until I can get home and do it.  But this post made me look back at them and it's nice to see the evolution of things. 

I could see that as a problem.   Wish I could have that problem…

On 4/5/2022 at 8:16 PM, AndreaW said:

When my son moved his bedroom downstairs, I moved my home office into his previous room. He decided he wanted to take my 46G with him since he’s always had an aquarium in his room. I immediately felt a loss and knew I needed another tank to replace it and that’s when I got my 10G Betta tank that I get to watch all day while I work. 
I wish I had a livestream of my 46G now though. I miss it, having it tucked away downstairs. 

On 4/6/2022 at 8:36 AM, Tanked said:

My office is in the back of the house, and the aquariums are in the front.  I livestream to my office now. Fish behavior is different when we aren't in the room.  If I ever find smaller waterproof cameras, I will add other fishcams.

Wish I could work from home.   😢

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 6:02 PM, sumplkrum said:

I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Crunchyroll and all my xbox games. 
But my tanks are in the living room, and even with the tv on I spend most of my time sitting on the couch and watching fish swim.

Niiiiiiiice!

I don't want a livestream of my fish because if I saw something upsetting I'd be bothered by it until I could get home. One time I recorded my fish and watched the video ten or 15 minutes later and realized one of the fish that looked like it was picking at the gravel was actually dead! SO DISTRESSING. 

But I do have some short clips on YouTube and I do watch them from time to time when I'm bored in a Zoom meeting. I've added de-stressful music to them (thanks @Brandon p for explaining to me how to do that) for added enjoyability--more relaxing than listening to the air pump/sponge filter combo which is quiet in real life but sounds like an airliner on vids.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 4/6/2022 at 5:42 PM, Ken Burke said:

I wish I could have a tank at work…..

I could see that as a problem.   Wish I could have that problem…

Wish I could work from home.   😢

Also wish I could work from home, but I'd probably get less work done if I could stare at my 40B all day.

On 4/6/2022 at 9:08 PM, PineSong said:

I don't want a livestream of my fish because if I saw something upsetting I'd be bothered by it until I could get home. One time I recorded my fish and watched the video ten or 15 minutes later and realized one of the fish that looked like it was picking at the gravel was actually dead! SO DISTRESSING. 

But I do have some short clips on YouTube and I do watch them from time to time when I'm bored in a Zoom meeting. I've added de-stressful music to them (thanks @Brandon p for explaining to me how to do that) for added enjoyability--more relaxing than listening to the air pump/sponge filter combo which is quiet in real life but sounds like an airliner on vids.

My original webcam setup was to keep an eye on a sick fish while at work. Unfortunately the fish passed the first day I had it going. I felt pretty helpless watching from afar, but by that point there also wasn't anything I could do if I had been there.

I took a stab at getting a livestream up tonight but found that my webcams are ancient and don't have drivers for my newer computers. I got one working briefly at 320x240 1FPS... if you squint it almost looks like fish.

fishcam-eyetoy.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/6/2022 at 6:02 PM, sumplkrum said:

I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Crunchyroll and all my xbox games. 
But my tanks are in the living room, and even with the tv on I spend most of my time sitting on the couch and watching fish swim.

Niiiiiiiice!

@drewzero1they get old real fast don’t they?  

I know my dogs think it’s their house but are happy to let me live here too.  And I’ve heard about cats tolerating humans that live in their house.  But I wonder if fish think it’s their house and let me live in an air bubble around it?

• Haha 2

On 4/6/2022 at 7:33 AM, Ken Burke said:

Am I the only one that wishes for streaming video of their fish tanks?

Definitely no... my spouse has four tanks lifestreaming 24/7. Says it's like having additional windows to nature in the office and on the phone. Plus possibility to keep an eye on the pets, e.g. turn the lamps on when our turtle decides to bask. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My temporary fishcam is two years old this week.  The camera is at least 12 years old and showing its age.  The biggest issue is there is no way to hide the controls.  Positioned on the side of the tank I only see the aquarium.  It's not great but even in morning light it will make a Tetra look like a Tuna.

Screenshot (76).png

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 4/7/2022 at 6:03 PM, Ken Burke said:

I’ve heard about cats tolerating humans that live in their house

Nope.  They RULE us human servants.  They insist on having us to IMMEDIATELY serve their every whim. Are loud and angry when we do not obey quickly enough  🥰

• Haha 3

On 4/8/2022 at 8:19 AM, Guppysnail said:

Nope.  They RULE us human servants.  They insist on having us to IMMEDIATELY serve their every whim. Are loud and angry when we do not obey quickly enough  🥰

So true. My pair will sit just out of reach and whine constantly for attention. "You must come to me and give me a scritches hooman"

PXL_20220114_230335730.jpg.a79126ba4cdcec011b0a74a38de1390c.jpg

• Love 1

If I were a fish.  I think I would want to be a BNP.  That way I could hang out in my man cave all day and I could sport a big bushy beard for the ladies……..

On 4/8/2022 at 8:00 AM, Guppysnail said:

@ApuloOoo your look like my Simba 

A71D17C4-1F47-4661-9FFE-44D215139269.jpeg

I’m not sure your lizard looks like a cat.  Well maybe if I squint just right.  Nope not at all.

• Haha 4