Random thoughts

Ken Burke

I was pushed to my wits end at work. That's when I got my first aquarium and plopped it right on my neighbors desk, just in case management cared... we didn't ask permission (not really he is just in the middle of the group.)  It has actually worked wonders at keeping the work environment tolerable for not just me but my whole group. Get annoyed, go look at the fish and try to find the baby shrimp... well until they started dying anyway, but even if they all die we shall rebuild and enjoy. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/13/2022 at 10:19 PM, BF McUmber said:

I was pushed to my wits end at work. That's when I got my first aquarium and plopped it right on my neighbors desk, just in case management cared... we didn't ask permission (not really he is just in the middle of the group.)  It has actually worked wonders at keeping the work environment tolerable for not just me but my whole group. Get annoyed, go look at the fish and try to find the baby shrimp... well until they started dying anyway, but even if they all die we shall rebuild and enjoy. 

That's kind of how my office tank went. I quietly set it up after everybody else left one afternoon and nobody seemed to mind. Coworkers and visitors often stop and check it out on their way through, which motivates me to keep it clean. The tank inhabitants provide a nice momentary escape when I need to think about something. I've used it as a fry growout tank, attempted breeding tank, and currently a display tank for some rasboras. It's been a lot of fun!

• Like 2

On 4/7/2022 at 4:03 PM, Ken Burke said:

I know my dogs think it’s their house but are happy to let me live here too.  And I’ve heard about cats tolerating humans that live in their house.  But I wonder if fish think it’s their house and let me live in an air bubble around it?

Cats definitely rule the house and everything in it. Dogs are just happy because that's what they do.

I'm sure my fish think we humans are the ones on display... "Oh, look! The humans came out of hiding again! Let's swim out and watch them! What entertainment do they have for us today?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I spent some time last night trying to set up webcam streaming from my work PC, but didn't quite get it working. Between the webcam, the video streaming daemon, and the VPN tunnel, there were too many moving parts to get it all straightened out in one evening.

I got the webcam working for my office tank, but since the building was closed today nobody was there to turn the lights on. So I sat for a few moments staring at a darkened tank and watching for shadows of fish. Just for fun I might log in in the morning and check on them, before actually going in to work.

1122979085_Screenshotfrom2022-04-1721-19-07.png.5459065fb31f387473044a3bbfd09847.png

Edited by drewzero1
clarity