Nerm Week 2022

Hi, so I had a really fun time with the Forum Birthday Celebrations/Nerm Week last year, so I'm wondering if others are open to starting/continuing a tradition on the forum.

I personally would definitely be open to be the one running something similar like the tank competitions that happened last year if people are interested in it!

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper
  • Like 6

Thank you to everyone who responded! I was thinking perhaps we could use a system similar to what happened last year where people/groups who are interested in running some sort of event could post their idea on here to let people know what's happening, then work on it to get it ready for Nerm Week. (And it doesn't have to be tech intensive or anything! Just anything that's fun for members of the forum seemed to work well last year)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, so over the last month (wow, time flew) I've come up with a few, fairly ideas that are light on technical requirements that folks are free to use!

FishTube Recommendations: Either you yourself recommend, or you collect recommendations of FishTubers that people like, and post them onto a thread

Storytelling: Similar to the member articles from last year, however with more of a narrative style of writing

Design Competitions: A member with a physical issue in their tank (such as too strong a filter flow, too high or low of a light, etc) can post about their issue, and challenge others to design a solution for them.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

On 5/10/2022 at 9:31 PM, FlyingFishKeeper said:

Thank you! If anyone's interested, feel free to volunteer on this thread to let people know you're doing it. (Volunteering just means you would post the threads, write them, etc)

Currently:

Aquascape Competitions - @FlyingFishKeeper

1. I think a repeat of the April Fool's/St Nermy's Day TOUS Scapes, and voting would be cool.

2. Maybe a search option in the forum to identify the most frequently asked questions (top 5?) and see who comes up with best answer/solution?

3. Rewrite directions in the hobby! All of us have at least one story of an error we have made, because we either... didn't read the directions... didn't follow the instructions... or didn't fully understand the directions. 

Imagine an alternative set of directions to follow!

Imagine how much more compassionate we can be, if we try to improve on written directions!

We can select judges, or utilize the vote method. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• 4 weeks later...

Oh yay! I was thinking about this and I’m glad to see you’re on top of it @FlyingFishKeeper. I definitely think the aquascaping contest would be fun to repeat, since it went over so well last time. The taco eating contest also seemed popular!

I’m not sure if the FishTube recommendations would actually be allowed here according to the forum rules. I love the idea but we should wait to hear from @Zenzo before moving forward with that one.

I personally love the design competition one! You can pencil me in for organizing that one and I can think about how it would work. 😊

@Torrey I feel like there must be a story behind your idea. 😂

• Like 2

Let me know if you’d like me to “emcee” things again, too. I’m happy to create the announcement post(s) but I’m also happy to let someone else do it. 😋

It looks like this will be the week of July 10? With the actual anniversary being on the 14th?

If anyone’s looking for ideas, here’s what we did last year: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/10/2022 at 11:00 PM, Hobbit said:

Let me know if you’d like me to “emcee” things again, too. I’m happy to create the announcement post(s) but I’m also happy to let someone else do it. 😋

Hi, thanks for the replies! If you're able to, feel free to do it! The events ran really smooth last year thanks to you I think.

So as of now we have the aquascaping contests setup by me, and the design competitions run by you?

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 8:49 PM, Hobbit said:

@Torrey I feel like there must be a story behind your idea. 😂

I had to go reread, and then cross-reference against other posts/comments that day.

That was the day we had a lot of people sharing how we had all made mistakes following the API Nitrate Testing directions, and I shared my O-chem professors directions: 

"Shake reagent bottle until arm feels like it is about to fall off. Hold bottle vertical and add 10 drops to the 5 mL of water. Yes, I know the directions don't say you have to shake the first bottle. I tell you to shake the first to make sure you don't forget to shake the second. Now, after adding 10 drops from the first reagent, cap and shake your test tube. Your lab partner should be shaking the second reagent bottle until their arm *does* fall off. Now, add 10 drops from reagent #2. Cap your test tube with the better silicone caps, not the regular test tube caps. Shake your test tube with whichever arm didn't fall off for 60 seconds, and then read the results in 5 minutes later. I want to know, is our tap water safe to drink?"

So, I imagine illustrated directions to most commonly used aquarium items, from @Streetwise talking many of us through programming our lights, to my O-chem professor's vividly graphic description of how to test for nitrates for API test kits, we should all have an opportunity to improve our communication skills, as well as new found compassion for the people who attempt to write directions for us to [poorly] follow.😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sounds good @FlyingFishKeeper! I’d be happy to organize things again. And yes, I think so far we’re the only two committed to running something. It sounds like we have a lot of interest, though!

@Torrey bwahaha 🤣 I love it!! Would you like to post/host that thread during NERM week?

@Beardedbillygoat1975 that sounds wonderful! It’s the kind of thing anyone could participate in. Would you like to be the one to post that thread?

@DannyBWell as last year’s reigning taco champion, would you be interested in organizing a repeat contest?  Deciding on rules, etc. is especially important for this one. Or perhaps @TheDukeAnumber1 would like to host again?

@xXInkedPhoenixX let us know if you have an idea you’d like to run with, or if you need some suggestions.

• Like 3

What are we going to make the dates of the festivities? Bastille day is July 14 (a thurs) are we doing days before or just from to? I would like to put out the design contest I'll run in the next day or so since it might take someone time to decide and design something. Deadlines are always somethin nice to be able to post.

• Love 1

@xXInkedPhoenixX for sure. Last time we ran events across the whole week, so this year it would be July 10-16. You’re free to pick deadlines on submitting/voting any time within that week or even before it. When you post, just make sure to use the tags “Nerm Week” and “Nerm Week 2022”.

I should post our event list soon, too! Any last things to add?

I’m thinking about the design contest that I’m running, and I’m wondering if a straight-up design challenge would be too similar to what people do here every day: help other people out with their problems. What do you all think of doing a silly version where the challenge is to over-engineer a solution that’s totally impractical but would actually work? Like a Rube Goldberg contest, aquarium-style?

Edited by Hobbit
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 9:28 PM, Hobbit said:

@Torrey bwahaha 🤣 I love it!! Would you like to post/host that thread during NERM week?

Yes, I can take care of that and add the #NermWeek & #NermWeek2022 tags. I'll try to get the post up sooner rather than later, with 10th July as the date for written directions to be submitted and then votes during the week. Whichever submission has the most votes on the 16th wins, and I will come up with a suitable prize.

On 6/12/2022 at 9:04 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Hobbit How about a dream fish room design contest. We can have 1 thread for those good with computer/CAD design and one for the hand drawn- anything goes!

I think this is awesome! Especially with our solid arguments for all architects to include a fish room, as opposed to a "fun room" or "utility room" that the homeowner/rentor needs to convert into a fish room. I mean, even apartments should have fishrooms, right???

On 6/12/2022 at 4:01 PM, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

I would be happy to run the taco eating contest for sure. I would do same rules as last year with a one of a kind 3d printed trophy prize for the winner with the stipulation we get a min of 3 particpiants aside from myself B)

I need to go find the rules for the taco eating contest, my formerly Patient Spouse™ now Reluctant Nerm™ could probably get on board with that. Are Indian Tacos included? Do they count as a single taco, or do you include a portion weight? (Navajo Tacos use enough materials to make 4 to 6 regular tacos).

On 6/15/2022 at 9:19 AM, Hobbit said:

so this year it would be July 10-16.

Thank you, and added to the calendar!

• Like 2