Help me set up a frog tank for a depressed student

Hobbit

Hey everyone! I have a student (16 or 17 years old) who’s having a really hard time and is currently in the hospital. 😞 I’ve been talking with her mom and we’ve decided to set up a tank for her to cheer her up when she gets home.

She LOVES LOVES LOVES frogs, so of course we have to give her an African Dwarf Frog tank! We’ve decided we’re going with a 10g. I’m thinking 4 frogs (since Aqua Huna sells them in packs of two).

Questions I have so far:

• What’s a good option for algae control? Will they eat amano shrimp? I’m sure they’ll eat snails, right? Would a nerite snail be safe?
  • What substrate is best for ADFs? I hear they tend to swallow their substrate when trying to eat things.
  • Anything unique about ADFs we should know and look out for?

I’m planning on setting her up with a seeded co-op sponge filter, a USB air pump, test strips, a light, a heater, plants from my collection, etc.

Tips, tricks, and ideas welcome! Thanks!

150B37F7-6C40-47EE-A88B-8D6293D87908.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

You might want to have a good plan for providing food--we had a couple at one point and they were the most frustrating animals I've EVER kept.  I know other people have good success and have fun with them, and I was really excited when we got them, but they ended up driving me bonkers.  Mine would NOT eat anything other than live food, and it had to be right in front of its face.  Tried all sorts of different non-live options with no luck.  Baby guppies worked but are pretty cute for feeding to a frog.  Mosquito larvae (seasonal) and blackworms (expensive) worked too. 

They didn't eat snails in my tank (didn't even seem to notice them.)

I'm sure other have better experiences to share!

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

My wife has kept them on and off for more than 20 years. They’re currently on black sand in a 7 gallon with a Betta, Otocinclus, “pest” snails and a Nerite. It’s planted with Java fern, Ludwigia, Anubias, Bacopa and floaters. They’ll eat small fish and shrimp so avoid those. She feeds a variety of frozen food including brine shrimp, blood worms and tubifex worms. They love to escape so my wife adds plastic wrap to the seal the glass lid. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I know this not what you asked but you may want to look into poison dart frogs.  First don’t let the name scare you the are only poison if in the wild of the Amazon due to the poison in the bugs they eat. They have one at the childrens hospital here. They are very colorful and I don’t have and but my sisters does(there her sons but he is5) and she says they are easy to take care of. Again people tell be that about some fish and I can’t seem to keep them alive. I. I had a African door frog paint for years for my boys and the frogs aren’t very active and can live long lives. I’ve seen 5 years but know some that are7-8 years old. Just an idea. I’m not into repetiles and amphibian but  sorry that is the wrong video and for some reason I can’t get it down. I posted the correct one below.

he is very good at the truth.  I  believe is a professor somewhere. I only posted this one but he has many more. If you choose the dwarf frogs good luck and in sure she will love them. 

• Like 3

Nerite snail would be fine, Amano would need to be large to stay safe. I’ve kept with and without fish, I like their behaviors without fish. I have dwarf water lettuce, duckweed, water sprite, Java fern, crypts and hornwort. Low to no flow. I have them on sand and large pebbles - too big to swallow. I keep them 75-80. They can be sickly when you first get them. Not unusual to lose 1 when you get them nothing you can do - had one that just never ate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whiteworms would also be an option, but you would need to get warm temp acclimated or have a wine cooler or small, adjustable temp refrigerator for optimal temps.  There is a method for growing them on scrubby pads that looks like much easier harvesting, but might be more intensive than they want.  I’ve been raising them in coir fiber, but this looks very interesting and very productive.  If they live close enough, you could raise them and just send them with a small amount weekly.

I’ve also recently seen posts of people raising Grindal worms this way.

• Like 2

I started my mum's ADF tank last Mother's day. 3 gallon GloFish cube with duckweed, guppy grass, anubias, eco complete a little pebble and of course my signature blue glass beads for a "river" they love the bridge we put in there for them- there are 2 a Grey and an Albino. There were bladders but maybe the frogs ate them it was never witnessed. They leave the one Nerite alone and there is no algae in this tank. The frogs are target fed with tweezers and come to the front of the tank when it's time, sometimes eat from a bowl. We don't do live food, just frozen and freeze dried and frog pellets. They are huge now compared to what they were and the water parameters are perfect. I avoided a big tank with fish because if the fish get sick I'm positive the frogs would have to be moved somewhere as they are much more sensitive to meds. This is a recent pic, "Angry White Frog" struck a pose (Nerite photo bombed if that's even possible):

Resized_20220217_124955.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
to clarify
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

Thanks everyone! This is very helpful. So it sounds like sand is okay for them?

Do they prefer a certain water hardness/pH or are they pretty flexible?

Unfortunately I don’t live near her (all my students are online) so I won’t be able to provide her with regular live foods. I am going to mail her a seeded sponge filter though. Still working on how to do that without making a mess. 😄

• Like 2

Best Wishes @Hobbit to your student hope she feels better,, I can not add any info .. on the frogs I tried 3 times to keep them  i feel in love with them .. they are so cute ,,  I followed directions the Fish Shop gave me even called them a few times for additional help but unfortunately had no luck keeping them alive 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 7:56 PM, Hobbit said:

Still working on how to do that without making a mess. 😄

I would use a ziploc double zipper freezer bag taped at the top then a ziploc container also taped. The priority flat rate plastic bubble envelope would be best. If any liquid does leak it won’t be visible. If any packet has visible leaks the post office won’t deliver and won’t return the package. I unfortunately know that first hand from a different liquid thing I sent and it broke open. 

• Thanks 1

I use The dollar store Tupperware comes in different sizes and if I’m worried it’s gonna break I’ll get a smallest size what I’m ship will fit in and the next size that smaller one fits in and the bag it and box. Or I will bag and I get these small styrofoam coolers (pic with no top) and tape it. They have never leaked. I get the cooler with other stuff and occasionally fish come that way. image.jpg.ad1da436f5430f229a1e4af6db87a145.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah, good call about the tupperwares @Guppysnail and @Brandon p. I’ll have to see what I have that can fit the sponge filter. I’m sending the whole thing, not just the sponge part, so the container will have to be somewhat big. I wonder if I have any of the Talenti ice cream containers saved? 🤔 I do have a box from a fish shipment that came with styrofoam inserts and shredded paper, so that should help in case of leaks.

ETA @Brandon p those poison dart frogs do sound amazing! I really want to set this student up for success, and I feel most able to do that with an aquatic pet. If she wants to branch out though I would totally recommend something like that to her.

Thanks for your help, everyone! I’m excited about this!

Edited by Hobbit
  • Like 2

On 3/10/2022 at 12:28 AM, Hobbit said:

Ah, good call about the tupperwares @Guppysnail and @Brandon p. I’ll have to see what I have that can fit the sponge filter. I’m sending the whole thing, not just the sponge part, so the container will have to be somewhat big. I wonder if I have any of the Talenti ice cream containers saved? 🤔 I do have a box from a fish shipment that came with styrofoam inserts and shredded paper, so that should help in case of leaks.

ETA @Brandon p those poison dart frogs do sound amazing! I really want to set this student up for success, and I feel most able to do that with an aquatic pet. If she wants to branch out though I would totally recommend something like that to her.

Thanks for your help, everyone! I’m excited about this!

Since it won’t fit in a priority flat rate envelope I have in the past Saran wrapped containers with liquid inside so leaks to not happen. 

• Like 2

Poison dart frogs and arboreal/terrestrial frogs have been on my list <i>for-ever</i>, but I don't know when I'll get around to actually owning one because now is not the right time. I wouldn't dive right into that without thoroughly researching care requirements and humidity, so I think you're on the right track going for ADFs, African Clawed Frogs, or Dwarf Suriname Toads instead (I'd also add fire-bellied toads to the list as they are semiaquatic and extremely adorable).

I kept both ADFs and Clawed Frogs as a kid. ADFs are a bit pickier eaters, African Clawed Frogs eat literally anything they get their hands on. The latter grow to be quite big 'blobs' and if you want something that'll arrest attention, I'd consider a clawed frog and get the little guy a 20 gallon long (grow-a-frog sites have them available to raise from tadpoles). Definitely have a stock of bloodworms, blackworms, and other frozen feeders to offer the frogs, and make the lid setup as escape-proof as possible. Snails were not an issue with frogs. Shrimp might be, but frogs also move and feed slowly and cannot see well; shrimp are much quicker.

I hope your student loves her frog(s). They're goofy little creatures and the buzzing singing from the males is so fun!

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2022 at 11:44 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I started my mum's ADF tank last Mother's day. 3 gallon GloFish cube with duckweed, guppy grass, anubias, eco complete a little pebble and of course my signature blue glass beads for a "river" they love the bridge we put in there for them- there are 2 a Grey and an Albino. There were bladders but maybe the frogs ate them it was never witnessed. They leave the one Nerite alone and there is no algae in this tank. The frogs are target fed with tweezers and come to the front of the tank when it's time, sometimes eat from a bowl. We don't do live food, just frozen and freeze dried and frog pellets. They are huge now compared to what they were and the water parameters are perfect. I avoided a big tank with fish because if the fish get sick I'm positive the frogs would have to be moved somewhere as they are much more sensitive to meds. This is a recent pic, "Angry White Frog" struck a pose (Nerite photo bombed if that's even possible):

Resized_20220217_124955.jpg

This needs a music track of either Lady Gaga or old school Madonna! Perfect picture!!!

• Haha 2

On 3/10/2022 at 6:38 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Torrey, ADF are always "striking a pose" they are little clowns whether they know it or not. They're really fun. 

My spouse just named about a dozen quotes for memes, lol.

Fave is "when my crush shows up" by the whole house, lol

• Haha 2