'Scapes from Scraps

Okay, so I think i jumped the gun on this one... I'm done already 😉

It was snowing out, and the 8 year old I and decided to build out the 5 gal Aqueon desktop i had laying around. Literally spent no money--everything I used I just had laying around.

I was gonna post the picture (I failed to read the instructions and document every step, but I do have one of my daughter assisting in the build).

I guess I'll wait until April to show everyone? By then the dust should have settled in the tank 😉

Oh, and in case anyone's thinking I'm procrastinating on the cable management thing, I actually took photos of the cable management I did on this thing... the only part of it I actually "documented" 😉

Edited by Greg Stewart
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

I'm still gathering....

16448680862026272510718121571711.jpg.e537b5b235bae8e3fc161abc9a7cd3ac.jpg

This doesn't count, as it has been a work in progress since February last year when my spouse gave this to me for birthday/valentine's 💜... Then we didn't set it up because pandemic held up several things we ordered... then Dx with long haul and then tore a rotator cuff... and then surgery and here we are 🤷‍♂️

I'm going to do another scape first🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 from scraps, and **not** from the 4'🧐

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I put myself to work today and finished my small snail habitat vase. It was nice to finally get what was formally a small QT tank emptied of the snails...pretty weird of me to try and save everyone that was alive in there I suppose. It took me forever to collect all the tiny snails by hand at the end (there was a thick cloud of detrius). Me, on the cement on my knees in the driveway angling the QT this way and that like a super slow wave machine watching for anything that moved then picking them up and putting them into a mini water-filled bowl. Oh the things I do for this hobby....

I'm super thrilled with how it turned out but it's hard to tell how people here will react to it when we post because I get ABSOLUTELY NO reaction from anyone I know in "real life". 😑

The time till the "deadline" will hopefully help all the plants involved perk up before "judging"!!

• Like 4

On 2/16/2022 at 4:27 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I put myself to work today and finished my small snail habitat vase. It was nice to finally get what was formally a small QT tank emptied of the snails...pretty weird of me to try and save everyone that was alive in there I suppose. It took me forever to collect all the tiny snails by hand at the end (there was a thick cloud of detrius). Me, on the cement on my knees in the driveway angling the QT this way and that like a super slow wave machine watching for anything that moved then picking them up and putting them into a mini water-filled bowl. Oh the things I do for this hobby....

I'm super thrilled with how it turned out but it's hard to tell how people here will react to it when we post because I get ABSOLUTELY NO reaction from anyone I know in "real life". 😑

The time till the "deadline" will hopefully help all the plants involved perk up before "judging"!!

Get the paint strainer Cory uses in the warehouse and the urban fish farm.

Far easier to pour into the strainer on top of the bucket, and then pick out the [much easier to see] snails, scuds, and even the errant fry.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 6:27 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I get ABSOLUTELY NO reaction from anyone I know in "real life".

I wish that I had gotten  no reaction. Hubby caught me carrying snails to the one I put on the kitchen window 🤯😡🤬 nope nope nope (insert sailors choice words here) no living creatures above the kitchen sink. So now one is a wet plant only 🤣

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Sad 2

On 3/1/2022 at 12:14 PM, castiel said:

Also just to clarify, we are allowed to buy stuff for the scapes right? I only have a few plants right now so I'm really hoping the answer is yes lol 

Yes, allowed to buy but encouraged to scavenge, divide, split, re-use, or upcycle anything as much as possible.  Bonus points awarded for making something out of what others might consider trash.

• Like 2