'Scapes from Scraps

On 2/5/2022 at 3:27 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

5. have fun, I agree with @Odd Duckdon’t tell us what you’re doing but you can tease “I used x y or z.” Don’t give away the surprise!

This really tempts me... I have an item in my basement RIGHT NOW that absolutely NOBODY ELSE HAS! Never been used, a working prototype of an major brand aquatic item that a design studio I used to run was tasked with redesigning. The "after" is still in stores as far as I know 15 years later, but what's gathering dust was never on the market! 

On 2/5/2022 at 3:24 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I was wondering what I should do with my QT tank that got infested with bladder snails....maybe I neeeeeed a snail vase. Does it count if I go out and buy a container?! Cause I don't have any! 😄

Do they need air/filtration? I have a sponge filter in with them but *shrug*

I think you should challenge yourself with some fun limitation on container... like something from the dollar store, thrift market, etc. 

• Like 1

lol @Jawjagrrl might be hard for me, I have a bigger budget and an aesthetic standard- not saying the dollar store is bad just don't think there'd be a container there I'd want....I will stick with the rest of the rules and just work with things I have on hand! 🙃 What I think I can stick to is a container not (originally) meant for aquatic animals. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

Really the only solid rule appears to be absolutely NO reveals (hints are allowed) before the date of the “It’s not a contest” on April 1.  And it’s suggested to do as much as possible from what you have on hand.  This is in the spirit of reduce, reuse, recycle at its best, but let your conscious be your guide, because extra points are awarded for remaining in the “Run what ya brung” status but the points don’t matter, soooo . . . . . . . Do whatever you want!  😉 😘 

Edited by Odd Duck
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

On 2/5/2022 at 3:37 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

lol @Jawjagrrl might be hard for me, I have a bigger budget and an aesthetic standard- not saying the dollar store is bad just don't think there'd be a container there I'd want....I will stick with the rest of the rules and just work with things I have on hand! 🙃 What I think I can stick to is a container not (originally) meant for aquatic animals. 

That's the beauty of MTS... you start eyeballing anything in your house that might be watertight 😉 I've already mentioned one nontraditional container, but now I have another one in mind that might be even more amusing, but potentially really nice looking!

• Like 2

On 2/5/2022 at 3:11 PM, Streetwise said:

April 1st might be a hot day on the forum. I may or may not introduce my breakaway company, with Difficult Green, Difficult Iron, and Always-Clog Air Stones.

Staaaaaapppp!  😆 😂 🤣  I’m ORD already and I’ve barely begun to get through the forum!  I was up all night fomenting rebellion on this fish forum I know.  😉 

• Haha 2

I am so ORD, and if I wasn't ORD before, I would definitely be ORD now🤣🤣🤣

@Streetwise, I can deliver a consistent winner on Difficult Oxygen. More than happy to share the formula😅

@Odd Duck, please get rest! I learned the hard way that sleep, AND LOTS OF IT, were the best medicine. 

Unless you are a happy hypoxic like I was, in which case last night is 100% 🌿🐠🌿 love, possibly amplified by low sat levels. 🧐

I have 3 potential containers I am looking at.... MTS says I should use all 3😁

• Haha 2

I literally have a 5 gallon Aqueon that I've just been using to house some left over plants, and to try to revive my withering monte carlo. It's a random mess right now as I've been meaning to wind it down and put it in a closet.

Looks like I'm going to play around with it, now ,and might end up having to keep it going for some time longer 😉 

• Like 2

Our apartment was not well designed (built in the 70's) for today's electronic age, lol.

I literally run power banks and power strips from outlets, and then zip tie them above the water to prevent misshaps.

Thank goodness for LED lights, the plugs look overdone but I am nowhere near the max amperage or volts.

Just... not as neat looking as I had my fishroom when we had a house😅

• Like 1

lol @Torrey @Guppysnailtry being in a rental house that was built in the late 1940s by your landlord's late relatives. Besides there being very few outlets. I have exactly 4 plugs in the whole house that are 3 prong (belonging to the refrigerator and coffee maker in one room, the tv and admittedly a power strip running oh, well, lots of things 😬). All of my tank stuff is run by prong adapters and power strips and I have to remember not to use certain appliances at the same time so I don't trip my breaker (none of the fish tank stuff but if it trips the breaker my lights have to be reprogrammed 😑) I DO love my late 40's Wedgewood stove however, so there are benefits to living in an old place...

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
1 more thing.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/6/2022 at 11:24 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

lol @Torrey @Guppysnailtry being in a rental house that was built in the late 1940s by your landlord's late relatives. Besides there being very few outlets. I have exactly 4 plugs in the whole house that are 3 prong (belonging to the refrigerator and coffee maker in one room, the tv and admittedly a power strip running oh, well, lots of things 😬). All of my tank stuff is run by prong adapters and power strips and I have to remember not to use certain appliances at the same time so I don't trip my breaker (none of the fish tank stuff but if it trips the breaker my lights have to be reprogrammed 😑) I DO love my late 40's Wedgewood stove however, so there are benefits to living in an old place...

Yes, memories...😁

I have lived in similar, and hard relate on the "don't start the microwave while the Kitchenaid is blending"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’ve got a bit of a problem, most know about 5 months ago I cut my fishroom from 14 tanks down to 6. Then November 30th I had a major change in my situation and could set back up and got my budget back. So over especially the last 6weeks I’ve been getting everything going and added too. I’m now at 20 tanks and all my extra “stuff” is all used up! 
Also I have MTS like severe MTS how am I gonna just have tanks or containers laying around? 🤣😂🤣😂

kinnda just kidding, I can probably come up with enough equipment and hardscape. It will be containers and stocking that will be difficult. But that’s part of what makes this fun, having to be creative in ways to make it work.😁 

• Love 2