Stocking options 1-ish gallon

Atitagain

This container I have holds 1.7G then with the filter system built in and surrounding rock and soil I guess .5G actual open water .7G more in substrate. I used 1 1/4-3/8 gallons of water on initial fill up. 
what kind of options do I have? Fish? Long term what stays that small ? Thought of a shrimp colony even if it had to stay at a few shrimp might be cool. Other invertebrates that would work? What about some kind of worm, or something that would use the water and land (but not climb out the side snails are out I believe) 

thought I’d get some direction before researching?

13910D81-CE42-4503-9589-531707FE0852.jpeg.78fa69f85aba556a75a7d48bd79f494e.jpeg

31FDB23A-0FC9-4088-8942-D6FFAECC68C4.jpeg.e7284a6c5b1c2125c72b700b5741ae0f.jpeg

E8D4EA68-31AB-44FD-A4B2-4FF83131D845.jpeg.51124a6dd7c5741633718acfa8d7977d.jpeg

713D38A6-335D-4058-B7A8-48F54D155E51.jpeg.8b2d92a186600a1aedf4d39a216b5792.jpeg

its 10” x 10” x 4”

= 400 cubic inches

=1.7G

Edited by Atitagain
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 12/30/2021 at 10:27 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Ember Tetra or CPD are my thoughts, depending on your parameters. I picture shrimp and snails climbing/jumping out. 

I haven’t been keeping an eye on parameters yet. Just been getting the plants growing and will get cycled when I’m ready but yes I will need to see how my parameters are before final decision. I figured snails are out, are shrimp known to climb out of open tanks? I’ve never had to worry about it all my shrimp are under lids.

Perhaps a colony of Thai Micro Crabs or a couple Pom Pom Crabs would be a good choice? Mine never tried to escape, although your tank is far more open than mine was.

If you're set on a fish, maybe a small group of male Heterandria Formosa, Male Endlers, or a reverse trio of Clown Killies would be good... with a lid. I don't see most of those fish staying in the tank long without one - same for shrimp, unfortunately.

Edited by Chris

I've been shocked at how far a shrimp can jump. I don't keep them though. All of mine die. My water is suspect because of old pipes....

My Embers are mellow and social and have never tried to jump out of my Flex when I'm working in there. They are a beautiful orange when they are happy and healthy. I'm not positive if CPDs are jumpers but they've not tried so far, mostly  hide when I work in the tank. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/30/2021 at 10:44 PM, Chris said:

Perhaps a colony of Thai Micro Crabs or a couple Pom Pom Crabs would be a good choice? Mine never tried to scape, although your tank is far more open than mine was.

If you're set on a fish, maybe a small group of male Heterandria Formosa, Male Endlers, or a reverse trio of Clown Killies would be good... with a lid. I don't see most of those fish staying in the tank long without one - same for shrimp, unfortunately.

I’ll have to check out the crabs. Not really set on fish. Or really set that anything has to be in there, I’m happy with it as is …buuuut it would be cool to figure something out. Being so open and needing to keep water level up really hurt my options.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2021 at 10:50 PM, Atitagain said:

I’ll have to check out the crabs. Not really set on fish. Or really set that anything has to be in there, I’m happy with it as is …buuuut it would be cool to figure something out. Being so open and needing to keep water level up really hurt my options.

The Thai Micro Crabs stay under 1/2" and filter feed, for the most part. Super cool, but terrible in big tanks since they get lost so easy. Great for picos like this one. The Pom-Pom Crabs (the freshwater species, not the saltwater one - there are two!) also filter feed, but get more like 2" across. Very cool, but less attractive to look at for a lot of people. They're just kind of brown, rather than the cool pattern that the TMCs get.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2021 at 7:50 PM, Atitagain said:

CYCLOPS! They're cute. I don't care how small they are. 😛

• Like 3

I’ve always wanted to do a tiny tank with paedocypris. If you can’t find those chili rasboro would be my second choice. I’ve heard crabs are usually escape artists and your tank is pretty open, but it might work out if they only escape into the island which is probably the easier route. If they do they shouldn’t have a hard time getting back into the water.

• Like 2

CPD although small are hyperactive in my experience. Im getting my best activity in the 40b. They use every inch. The 20l they are happy and 3 in a 10 we’re happy. I have never had one jump but confining fish that i have learned are that hyperactive might not be great for them. Neo Shrimp can and will climb or jump if they become unhappy. I think the crab crayfish idea would be cool but i dont know enough about them to say if they could live there even though you’ve done a fabulous jib. It is beautiful 

• Thanks 1

@Atitagain I think you’re kind of stuck with inverts, but those Paedocypris suggested by @BlueLineAquatics sound intriguing!  Thought to be the world’s smallest fish, average only 1/3 of an inch as adults!  Probably hard to find and I’m not certain I’d want to risk them to such a small water volume, but would be very cool in your tiny tank.  Proportionately, they would be smaller relative to the tank (going by length) than a guppy in a 10 gallon.  I’d bet you’d have to have live cultures of microworms, vinegar eels, etc, to start, at least.  They might be able to take baby brine and you might be able to get them to eat powdered food/first bites/fry food.

Tank is looking really good!

@BlueLineAquatics I was thinking I’m gonna do chili rasbora in my 3G bowl. Seeing how I don’t have a lot of options I may reconsider and use them here.🤷🏻‍♂️

@Guppysnail I’ve also already have plans for CPD in another tank coming up. Do they do well in a community set up with maybe tetras/ rasbora?

@Taco Playz endler maybe a good option. I don’t have much experience with them, I know their small but do you know of any that stay super small?

• Like 1

@Intuosrice fish may get a little big at 1 1/2” it’s looking like chili rasbora is top prospect.

@eatyourpeas I looked into the vampire crabs they are awesome. But I think it would be hard to keep good parameters, the tank won’t be heated and I’ve read they need high humidity. I am really intrigued tho will definitely put them on the future project list.

@Odd Duck those paedocypris do sound very interesting also sounds like a lot of work. Maybe something to check out after I get a couple live cultures going. 

• Like 2

On 1/1/2022 at 12:27 PM, Atitagain said:

But I think it would be hard to keep good parameters, the tank won’t be heated and I’ve read they need high humidity. I am really intrigued tho will definitely put them on the future project list.

Yes, I understand. This video makes it look like they can be alright in an open paludarium, but I am weary of YT videos that sugarcoat the reality of a tank.

Mine live in 78F and have a mister that comes on once a day. The tank is covered to keep the moisture sealed. Having said that, if there is enough moisture in the landscape they should be alright by going in for a dip in the water.

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2022 at 2:55 PM, Atitagain said:

@Taco Playz endler maybe a good option. I don’t have much experience with them, I know their small but do you know of any that stay super small?

They are all about the same size. Here is one of my favorites the Chili Endler which I own. I also own Tiger endlers which are another beautiful variation. I have 3 males in a 3 gallon and they are very fun to waych

*Not my photo

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2022 at 2:55 PM, Atitagain said:

@BlueLineAquatics I was thinking I’m gonna do chili rasbora in my 3G bowl. Seeing how I don’t have a lot of options I may reconsider and use them here.🤷🏻‍♂️

@Guppysnail I’ve also already have plans for CPD in another tank coming up. Do they do well in a community set up with maybe tetras/ rasbora?

I have mine with bn pleco shrimp snails pygmy cory and at one point one adult male bully guppy but they held their own and did not seem to mind the guppy just stole his food. 

• Like 1