What size tanks have you had on a kitchen counter?

meadeam

I've got a new tank in mind for a kitchen counter/bar.   Initially I had planned a 20L, but I easily have the space for a 33L, so why not, right?  I wasn't really concerned with the weight of a 20, but perhaps 33 is getting to the point where I may need to consider it.  A cursory search on the topic indicates a kitchen counter/island should be able to support 600lbs and up to 1000lbs.  I was a bit surprised it was so much.  I'd be well under either of those figures.  

The cabinets/counter top are new, installed by the previous own in order to sell.  Probably mid grade stuff from a big box home store.  Counter is faux granite; some kind of composite material.  The cabinet is joined to an exterior the wall on one end, and runs parallel to the floor joists.   

33 gallons is probably pushing 300 pounds, with the weight of the water and the aquarium itself. But if two 150-pound guys sat on my kitchen counter and it collapsed, I would be very disappointed with the quality of the counter..

I have a 20 gallon and a 10 gallon on my kitchen island. No problem. I had to be careful not to place the tanks on an overhang, where there was no support underneath. I placed the tanks over weight-supporting  structures.

I do not have MTS. I do not need treatment.

Really.

• Like 2

Suddenly I'm wondering if I can put my ~300 pound tank on the kitchen counter, above the dishwasher. I don't have furniture strong enough, and can't afford to buy any. I was going to put it on the floor. So... hmm...

Edit: I measured the counter. Not long enough in either direction. Grr. 

Edited by CalmedByFish
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/17/2021 at 12:40 PM, CalmedByFish said:

Suddenly I'm wondering if I can put my ~300 pound tank on the kitchen counter, above the dishwasher. I don't have furniture strong enough, and can't afford to buy any. I was going to put it on the floor. So... hmm...

Edit: I measured the counter. Not long enough in either direction. Grr. 

There's always good ol' cinder blocks!

• Like 1

After some thought and mind changes in the fish I want to keep where, I think rather than a 33L and all of the associated equipment, I may pick up a few more 10 gallons and run a multi-tank air setup to sponge filter them all.  I'd still keep them on the kitchen bar, and they would still be planted display tanks, but I've warmed to the idea of putting sponge filters in tanks that are meant to look good as well as be functional.  Previously I was sold on canisters for that task, but the expense gets up there for multiple tanks.  Also, 33L itself is an odd size and the prices I've been seeing are 3-4+ times that of a 20L.

Edited by meadeam
  • Like 1

Excited to see what you come up with!

Regarding countertop strength: I'm always more worried about the floor if you're not on a slab. But depending on how the counter was built, I can see your concern. Especially with solid surface overhangs. My counters are built onto the cheapish cabinet boxes from the home cheapo competitor. My counters are built on 3/4"ply with 1/4" hardibacker, mastic and are finished with granite floor tile. The compression created using downward force on the cabinets has never been a problem under 500#. I've had at least 500# of lead on the counter at one time, over a 36" cabinet base. Yes, lead shot bags... Boat ballast bags to be exact.

On 11/18/2021 at 11:37 AM, Minanora said:

Excited to see what you come up with!

well, I am already changing my mind again... I have to do something though because I have a bunch of fry outgrowing their current tank.

Edited by meadeam
  • Haha 1

For years, I lived in a mobile home that had a counter between kitchen and living room I had a 29 gallon on it  about 10 years, but we found out the counter was bowing (we thought from the tank)  so we replaced and reinforce the counter before selling &  moving out. When I moved to a larger mobile home. It had a counter. But I had the floor space for a 55 gallon . So I upgraded to the floor model .. But my brother added extra support for the fish tank stand, … So it will be secure with the weight ..  Only use the counter for  20 gallon emergency quarantine tank when needed. I always have extra media if needed to sit a tank up fast  ... But we added extra support to the counter in the new place  just in case I need to use it for fish.tank . But I try to only have one tank.

I have a pair of 10 gallon tanks on the same counter. No issues. I'd feel okay with a 20 or 30 in the kitchen, though my husband expressed reservations. We renovated the kitchen when we moved into the place (down to the studs and reinforced the floor joists), so I know it's solid AND perfectly level.

• Like 1

I've only had a 10g on our kitchen counter, but I think it could handle one a bit bigger. I made sure it was setup directly over the vertical bracing underneath, though. I'd probably reinforce the braces under the counter for one much larger though.