Hello everyone

I've been out of the hobby about 7 years after we lost our elderly Oscars.  

Down into the basement went the tanks.   About 8 months ago we decided to bring up one of the tanks and got a 20 long and started our first blackwater tank which I am in love with.  In the meantime I did a lot of research on building tanks and finished a custom 44g lowboy last month and has been running for about three weeks.  

I think the blackwater has really got us back into the hobby as for me, the look is very natural and I'm loving it! 

DSC_2368-2.jpg

100 - 1 (11).jpg

• Like 4

On 10/21/2021 at 1:55 PM, Atitagain said:

Welcome to the forum, your blackwater tank looks great. Darkwater is my new obsession as well. I have a 125G I’m in process of tanning. I’m liking the lowboy what’s your plans with it?

Thank you.  

Funny thing, for the life of me I can't tint the lowboy.  Added all the goodies and it stays clean lol.  Might use some oolong tea to stain it for the time being.  

Honestly I have fell in love with Harlequin rasboras so I would really like to just do a tank full of them.  Its really cool seeing them play in the flow from the filter in the 20 long

On 10/21/2021 at 2:00 PM, HotTunaCartel said:

Funny thing, for the life of me I can't tint the lowboy.  Added all the goodies and it stays clean

It looks like you have HOB at each end, do they have activated carbon in them? I think I remember hearing it will greatly reduce tannins.

On 10/21/2021 at 3:36 PM, Atitagain said:

It looks like you have HOB at each end, do they have activated carbon in them? I think I remember hearing it will greatly reduce tannins.

sorry forgot to add that, no carbon in either hob just filter foam and bio rings.  

It's really really weird.  

Edit:  I'm wondering if its the eco complete that I have mixed with the stratum, I do see that eco complete is volcanic based.  

Edited by HotTunaCartel

On 10/21/2021 at 3:58 PM, Patrick_G said:

Nice looking tanks! The lowboy has some great possibilities as a paludarium. 

Thanks!   I was thinking that at one point but decided to just go standard.  But.... considering how easy it was to build it certainly wont be my last lowboy :) 

• Like 1