Wish Mekong good luck!

Katya

Hoping for better luck the second time around...as I kid, I kept a betta.  It would be more accurate to say that I briefly kept three bettas, one at a time, because they never seemed to last very long.  We didn't really know about new tank syndrome or water parameters or anything like that, and had a one-gallon tank and no live plants.  So I'm trying again, hoping that I won't kill my daughter's new pet, Mekong, a female elephant ear betta.  So far, so good.  She's very active, explores and patrols every inch of her five-gallon tank, and has a good appetite.  And my plants haven't died yet, either!  I stuck with supposedly easy plants -- a couple java ferns, some anubias nana and nana petite, and some java moss -- so hopefully they'll hang on, too.  I really enjoyed putting the tank together, but I'm trying not to go overboard right away.  I appreciate forums like this, where people can share tips and advice.

20211020_133005.jpg

20211020_132818.jpg

20211020_133103.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 4

On 10/20/2021 at 11:42 AM, Katya said:

Hoping for better luck the second time around...as I kid, I kept a betta.  It would be more accurate to say that I briefly kept three bettas, one at a time, because they never seemed to last very long.  We didn't really know about new tank syndrome or water parameters or anything like that, and had a one-gallon tank and no live plants.  So I'm trying again, hoping that I won't kill my daughter's new pet, Mekong, a female elephant ear betta.  So far, so good.  She's very active, explores and patrols every inch of her five-gallon tank, and has a good appetite.  And my plants haven't died yet, either!  I stuck with supposedly easy plants -- a couple java ferns, some anubias nana and nana petite, and some java moss -- so hopefully they'll hang on, too.  I really enjoyed putting the tank together, but I'm trying not to go overboard right away.  I appreciate forums like this, where people can share tips and advice.

20211020_133005.jpg

20211020_132818.jpg

20211020_133103.jpg

Gorgeous betta!

Pictures are showing blue and red for top picture,  but looks lavender in bottom picture?

If the lavender is accurate, you have a betta worth breeding. 

It's the single hardest color to achieve in betta.

Welcome to the forum!

On 10/28/2021 at 4:27 AM, Torrey said:

Gorgeous betta!

Pictures are showing blue and red for top picture,  but looks lavender in bottom picture?

Welcome to the forum!

Wow, that's cool -- we had no idea she had a rare color (and neither did Petco, apparently, because she cost the same as every other elephant ear female).  She's definitely a silvery lavender, not a true blue, although the color can shift a lot depending on the light.  I'm not sure I'm ready to handle betta breeding, though!  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/28/2021 at 3:27 AM, Torrey said:

Gorgeous betta!

Welcome to the forum!

You have a gorgeous girl! Also, I had no idea that lavender was rare; I have a lavender male in a 5.5-gallon tank with 2 ghost shrimp. Play date? 😉

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2021 at 10:42 AM, Katya said:

20211020_133005.jpg

20211020_132818.jpg

20211020_133103.jpg

i wish 

On 10/20/2021 at 10:42 AM, Katya said:

20211020_133005.jpg

20211020_132818.jpg

20211020_133103.jpg

i wish mekong a long a healthy life. and such a pretty girl!