Stocking ideas for 5 gallon

Johannes

On 10/20/2021 at 9:23 AM, Helan said:

A little pricey depending on where you are

You can get a nice group of neon green rasboras from Aquahuna for a decent price. I kept 8 in a Fluval Spec V and they seemed to do really well. I really like that fish and would recommend for a setup like this as well, just make sure you have plenty of plants like GuppySnail mentioned. They cohabitate great with cherry shrimp too

Edited by Ragnarok12
  • Like 1

Depends on the setup, if it has a lid, and current.

Out of my few 5 gallons, the one I enjoy the most is the on my desk with 3 african dwarf frogs and 2 mystery snails.  Fairly easy setup, Water lettuce on the top, covering about 2/3.  On the bottom, a mixture of dwarf sagiterias, crypt wendtii, and anubias nanji.  Hardscape, I have a few pieces of broken dragon stones to make caves.  Filtration a nano co-op sponge filter.   Each week I remove about 1/2 of the water lettuce which grows back by the next time.  I do a water change maybe every 3 months as the nitrates plummet to zero unless adding fertilizer.  I add one squirt of easy green each week.  Feeding schedule is fairly simple.  I feed the frogs on Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays.  I feed the mystery snails shrimp food on the same day too.  I have a small nicrew heater that I have set to kick on at 74'f.  This setup does require a lid.  This setup because of the frogs needs low flow.  I do use a fluval aquasky light on it, and keep it pretty much cycling between coming on when I get to the office at 6 am with a sunrise cycle to a sunset cycle when I leave at 6 pm. I have the light peak for two hours during the day at 70% white/60% green & red/10% blue.  The frogs are active during the first part of the day as the light is ramping up and in the last part of the day as the lights are ramping down.  

Edited by Ben_RF

On 10/24/2021 at 4:09 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

With lots of cover and or leaf litter, how about a small group of indostomus paradoxus or indostomus crocodilus? (Toothpick fish). I think they would be awesome though I think they need live foods? 

Yes!  The tiny crocodile toothpicks!  Need those tiny live foods, though.  Not an easy fish because of that.  But would be very cool and happy in a 5 which not many fish are.

• Like 1