Astronomically dumb question...

Is there anyway to discourage sword plants from sending out spikes, or do you just nip them off before they start spawning more plants? My mother plant is going absolutely NUTS and sending out a new spike every week with 6-8 plantlets per spike. This madness needs to stop, cause I'm tired of whipping out the curved scissors every week lol.

The overenthusiastic plant in question

spacer.png

Edited by Phantom240
  • Love 3

My red flame sword kept doing this. My way to beat it was to trim back most of its leaves to make it focus on regrowing itself rather than growing babies( I planted one of the babies just incase it killed the mother so you may want a fall back plant just incase). You could also cut back on using root tabs around it (if you use them)

On 9/19/2021 at 10:26 PM, Marnol D said:

My red flame sword kept doing this. My way to beat it was to trim back most of its leaves to make it focus on regrowing itself rather than growing babies( I planted one of the babies just incase it killed the mother so you may want a fall back plant just incase). You could also cut back on using root tabs around it (if you use them)

Yeahhhhhh I absolutely overdid it on root tabs when I set the aquarium up a couple weeks ago. Plenty of nutrition + CO2 + Good light = runaway sword lol

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 10:06 PM, Phantom240 said:

Yeahhhhhh I absolutely overdid it on root tabs when I set the aquarium up a couple weeks ago. Plenty of nutrition + CO2 + Good light = runaway sword lol

I usually only pop a root tab or 4  right when I plant a new plant. After it gets established I usually turn away from the root tabs to slow growth. if i notice the plant looks weak ill start readding but i dont really gravel vacuum my planted tanks so the mulm mixes with the rock/gravel and seems to keep the plants growing and healthy (it just keeps their growth reasonable) and that reminds me i need to go refill my 20lb co2 tank.

On 9/22/2021 at 11:02 AM, ARMYVET said:

@Phantom240 Just a thought but if you are getting the babies every week...that is a constant source of money for you....Can you grow them a little bit in a tub outside and then sell them to the fish store.  Hell I would take some of those they look in great shape!!

Yeah I might wait til they're all at least 6" and run up to the LFS and see if I can trade them for some food. The roots on the lowest plantlet are insane already! Easily 4" of root on it.

• Like 1