Astronomically dumb question...

Is there anyway to discourage sword plants from sending out spikes, or do you just nip them off before they start spawning more plants? My mother plant is going absolutely NUTS and sending out a new spike every week with 6-8 plantlets per spike. This madness needs to stop, cause I'm tired of whipping out the curved scissors every week lol.

The overenthusiastic plant in question

spacer.png

Edited by Phantom240
  • Love 4

On 9/19/2021 at 10:26 PM, Marnol D said:

My red flame sword kept doing this. My way to beat it was to trim back most of its leaves to make it focus on regrowing itself rather than growing babies( I planted one of the babies just incase it killed the mother so you may want a fall back plant just incase). You could also cut back on using root tabs around it (if you use them)

Yeahhhhhh I absolutely overdid it on root tabs when I set the aquarium up a couple weeks ago. Plenty of nutrition + CO2 + Good light = runaway sword lol

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 10:06 PM, Phantom240 said:

Yeahhhhhh I absolutely overdid it on root tabs when I set the aquarium up a couple weeks ago. Plenty of nutrition + CO2 + Good light = runaway sword lol

I usually only pop a root tab or 4  right when I plant a new plant. After it gets established I usually turn away from the root tabs to slow growth. if i notice the plant looks weak ill start readding but i dont really gravel vacuum my planted tanks so the mulm mixes with the rock/gravel and seems to keep the plants growing and healthy (it just keeps their growth reasonable) and that reminds me i need to go refill my 20lb co2 tank.

On 9/22/2021 at 11:02 AM, ARMYVET said:

@Phantom240 Just a thought but if you are getting the babies every week...that is a constant source of money for you....Can you grow them a little bit in a tub outside and then sell them to the fish store.  Hell I would take some of those they look in great shape!!

Yeah I might wait til they're all at least 6" and run up to the LFS and see if I can trade them for some food. The roots on the lowest plantlet are insane already! Easily 4" of root on it.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 3:18 PM, Phantom240 said:

Yeah I might wait til they're all at least 6" and run up to the LFS and see if I can trade them for some food. The roots on the lowest plantlet are insane already! Easily 4" of root on it.

Yeah I would trade them for some store credit and let that sucker make babies every week

• 1 month later...

Update: Main plant has now four huge spikes, and one of the other swords (not sure the species, any ideas? The super tall one with the leaves curling at the top of the water) has decided to join the party as well. Send help. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Phantom240
  • Love 2

@Phantom240 Most people would be begging to have plants like this!  Good job providing them with what makes them happy.  Now all you need to do is trim them off, plant the “little” (or in this case, not so little) plantlets, or sell them directly to your local fish store, sell to local hobbyist friends, or at local aquarium club meetings, etc.  Best way to recoup some hobby costs.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2021 at 11:02 AM, ARMYVET said:

@Phantom240 Just a thought but if you are getting the babies every week...that is a constant source of money for you....Can you grow them a little bit in a tub outside and then sell them to the fish store.  Hell I would take some of those they look in great shape!!

I agree.  I have one Ozelot sword that throws those out, though not that often.  As soon as they develop roots I pot them, let them grow for a while, and then sell them at the local LFS.

On 10/25/2021 at 11:18 AM, JettsPapa said:

I agree.  I have one Ozelot sword that throws those out, though not that often.  As soon as they develop roots I pot them, let them grow for a while, and then sell them at the local LFS.

really want my red melon and "reni" varieties to start shooting off, mostly to get more, but they're also more valuable varieties. I've been exceptionally poor as of late, so I haven't been able to pot the plantlets just yet. I'm gonna have to do some heavy root trimming on some of the larger specimens when I do though lol

On 10/25/2021 at 6:21 PM, Phantom240 said:

really want my red melon and "reni" varieties to start shooting off, mostly to get more, but they're also more valuable varieties. I've been exceptionally poor as of late, so I haven't been able to pot the plantlets just yet. I'm gonna have to do some heavy root trimming on some of the larger specimens when I do though lol

That would be nice!  I don’t typically pot my spare plants when I take them to my LFS.  I do put weights on them so they can just take them out of the bags and plop them in their tanks and they’re ready to display.  I get a bit more for them if I have them labeled (Sharpee on the bag) and weighted. I also get much more for any kind of sword than for, say, pearlweed, that grows fast and is less sought after.  I just use fish bags and tie a knot usually.  Sometimes I’ll get fancy and do a rubberband.  😃 I’ve taken in some tall plants, so sometimes they’re too tall to tie a knot.

I've only had Amazon swords and Vesuvius swords throw runners.  But most of my other swords are very “young” relatively speaking.

On 10/25/2021 at 6:44 PM, Odd Duck said:

I've only had Amazon swords and Vesuvius swords throw runners.  But most of my other swords are very “young” relatively speaking.

What has me baffled is my big sword is something like six years old and finally happy enough to throw spikes. The other two taller narrower swords I got from either Petsmart or Co-Op less than six months ago, and are already popping off.

Edited by Phantom240

On 10/25/2021 at 7:44 PM, Odd Duck said:

I don’t typically pot my spare plants when I take them to my LFS.  I do put weights on them so they can just take them out of the bags and plop them in their tanks and they’re ready to display.

I do the weights as well, but I just bring them all in a 5 gallon bucket. No fancy bags for me! 😜 Last time I actually brought fish and plants in the same bucket. 😄

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 6:44 PM, Odd Duck said:

That would be nice!  I don’t typically pot my spare plants when I take them to my LFS.  I do put weights on them so they can just take them out of the bags and plop them in their tanks and they’re ready to display.  I get a bit more for them if I have them labeled (Sharpee on the bag) and weighted. I also get much more for any kind of sword than for, say, pearlweed, that grows fast and is less sought after.  I just use fish bags and tie a knot usually.  Sometimes I’ll get fancy and do a rubberband.  😃 I’ve taken in some tall plants, so sometimes they’re too tall to tie a knot.

I wonder if that's a regional thing?  I put a small clump of pearl weed in a clear 5.5 ounce container with water, add a nice label so it's ready to sell, and get $2.00 for it at my local LFS.  He sells it faster than I can grow it.

I get $2.00 for the Ozelot swords potted in a standard 2" pot, and $1.50 for crypts potted in used Keurig cups, both with rock wool.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 8:36 AM, JettsPapa said:

I wonder if that's a regional thing?  I put a small clump of pearl weed in a clear 5.5 ounce container with water, add a nice label so it's ready to sell, and get $2.00 for it at my local LFS.  He sells it faster than I can grow it.

I get $2.00 for the Ozelot swords potted in a standard 2" pot, and $1.50 for crypts potted in used Keurig cups, both with rock wool.

I get the same for Amazon swords and a little more for the few Crypts I’ve taken in (I love my Crypts and usually only share with friends, 😆) with only plant weights.  I’ve gotten the same ($2.00) for vesuvius swords in clumps of 5-6 (usually have a few with little runners).  I get $1.50 for a clump of pearlweed or Christmas moss.  I get $2.00 for 5 stems of Ludwigia ovalis or glandulosa, or water wisteria (some of the few stem plants that grow for me).

I need to start printing labels, even if I only use them fir local swap meets.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2021 at 9:20 AM, Odd Duck said:

I get the same for Amazon swords and a little more for the few Crypts I’ve taken in (I love my Crypts and usually only share with friends, 😆) with only plant weights.  I’ve gotten the same ($2.00) for vesuvius swords in clumps of 5-6 (usually have a few with little runners).  I get $1.50 for a clump of pearlweed or Christmas moss.  I get $2.00 for 5 stems of Ludwigia ovalis or glandulosa, or water wisteria (some of the few stem plants that grow for me).

I need to start printing labels, even if I only use them fir local swap meets.

When I was there this past Sunday the owner walked over to one of his tanks, reached in, pulled out six or so Cryptocoryne usteriana, put them in a bag for me, and said "Here.  I'm giving these to you.  Take them home, make some more, and bring them back and sell them to me."

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 10/26/2021 at 8:36 AM, JettsPapa said:

Oof, that's pretty cheap for a plant potted with rockwool, unless you're getting a stupid good deal on pots and plugs.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 6:00 PM, Phantom240 said:

Oof, that's pretty cheap for a plant potted with rockwool, unless you're getting a stupid good deal on pots and plugs.

I guess I hadn't really done the math before, but I just did.  When I'm buying the rock wool and pots my cost is right about $1.00, so I'm making $1.00 each on the Amazon swords.  The Keurig cups I use for the crypts would be going in the trash if I didn't use them for that, so the cost on those is only about 30 cents.