Grow out tank

RyanU

On 9/10/2021 at 6:55 PM, GameCzar said:

From @Guppysnail's advice, I do twice daily water changes in my fry growout tank, and I feed them a small amount every 3 hours or so.   This is guppy fry, so cories might not be quite as ravenous.  Not sure about that!

Works for me like clockwork…..send baby pics plz

edit I never raised cory fry 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Love 1

On 9/10/2021 at 6:39 PM, RyanU said:

@Guppysnail @Colu @Struggle @GameCzar. What do you recommend for feeding. I was unable to find live bbs and I don't really have a setup to hatch myself. I was given hikari first bites and frozen daphnia. I also dropped an algea wafer gift to give them options. Any other suggestions. 

I'm using a mix of 
https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/sera-micron-growth-food

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/easy-fry-and-small-fish-food

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/instant-baby-brine-shrimp

As they have gotten bigger Im mixing in ground micro-pellets and fancy guppy. 

• Like 1

@RyanU see @GameCzar for feeding recommendations.

I try to have my fry tank growing daphnia and other infusoria while I float the "eyelash fry" in a Dean inspired set up.

Once fry are free swimming, I start feeding the tiniest powdered, high protein food I have. First week I feed every 2 hours, and WC 3x a day.

Week 2 - 3, depending on how they are growing, I start to spread out feeding to every 3 hours, and 3 WC a day. By week 4 I am feeding every 4 hours, and a WC 2x a day.

I feed tiny amounts at a time until I see there little bellies begin to round out. I remove any left over food before each feeding with an infant nasal syringe. Empty the syringe into a clear or white cup, to check for fry before tossing the water.

Same thing for the water changes: I put a coffee filter in a strainer, drain the water into the coffee filter, and rest the strainer on my 5 gallon bucket to collect the water. 

I use an air line tube attached to an infant medicine syringe as my "water vacuum" to drain the tank.

Don't let the coffee filter overflow, and any fry that gets sucked up will be saved by the filter.

• Like 3

On 9/11/2021 at 12:39 AM, RyanU said:

@Guppysnail @Colu @Struggle @GameCzar. What do you recommend for feeding. I was unable to find live bbs and I don't really have a setup to hatch myself. I was given hikari first bites and frozen daphnia. I also dropped an algea wafer gift to give them options. Any other suggestions. 

Hope it's ok to recommend products that aren't from aquarium co-op? In the UK here so have to rely on other places! 

I'm planning on ordering the 'hobby artemia breeder' (that little black dish thing) and some salt and eggs on Amazon. Not as good as the proper set ups available from the coop but should be easy to hatch a small amount of baby brine shrimp for some fry until you get a proper set up one day. 

I'm assuming Aquarium Co-op don't sell them as I've never heard them mentioned but they are on Amazon prime for next day delivery here in the UK. 

• Like 1