Where do you sell or giveaway your baby fish

Samanthabea

So I've had babies a while back and the local stores don't have room and the other ones don't take them till a certain size I tried Facebook but they don't allow it wouldn't be a big deal but the tank is only 6.5 gallons and there are 8 babies that are getting bigger and 1 Mollie adult and 1 swordtail adult(although still small)

I've got 2 ideas.

Facebook doesn't allow money exchanging hands for animals within groups, but there's no such rule for private messages. I'm in groups where the norm is to post a pic of animals, a zip code, and "PM for details." Comments on such posts are usually just "sent a message," but everybody knows what the conversation is about. Those groups are not *technically* facilitating the buying or selling of animals. They're just facilitating private communications between individuals. So it might be worth looking again for a local FB group. 

The other idea, though it may be too late: I bought an angelfish to deal with a never-ending stream of molly fry. It worked. He gulped everything small enough to gulp, so the result was that the larger mollies simply lived out their lifespan alongside him, gradually decreasing in number until the tank was back under control. I'm sorry if it doesn't help the current situation though. Maybe the idea would at least make the future easier. There are some "gulpers" that would fit in a 6 gallon.

On 9/2/2021 at 10:33 PM, s1_ said:

Try this aquarium co op club finder tool.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/apps/store-locator

Yea the nearest club is 7 hours away in atlanta.  Talk about living in a state devoid of people with an interesting hobby. Anyway there is one local store that will take most of what i want to give away for credit. However when I'm in the mood i'll post on another forum that allows ads. Only catch is I cover shipping - after all i'm giving them away - and it gets expensive after a while.... 

I usually try fish store for credit. sometimes they just don't have room or spare tanks to take them. As was mentioned you could get a fish small enough to fit in that tank that would eat the fry. 6.5 gallons kind of limits your options. Not sure of your space limitations but if you can get in on one of PetCo's dollar a gallon sales a 10 gallon is cheap, could get away with just a bubble and or sponge filter. Molly and swordtail fry are pretty tough, so unless your house gets really cold a heater is probably not needed.

try to see if you have a local FB group and post on there, or even call or stop into a big chain store(like PetSmart)... they usually have a tank for fry, they might just let you put yours in there! heck or even ask if the employees want them, most of them have tanks and don't mind free fish