Got to break out the breeder box!!!

Atitagain

He’s been fanning for a couple days now

0688131C-59D1-4389-A0AA-169CF4BE8F02.jpeg.9526b538103f413fc95aaae096b5516b.jpeg

so I set it up!!!

C2867448-61CA-4DA0-AB23-BF7C8C46EACB.jpeg.3d267131f6b83d09c08536b6c2f2b06a.jpeg

😁

3A7CA794-B6AA-4D99-810D-CB0EEA5FBCF0.jpeg.8706e03e72ab0e68b8c1c5c85aa5e711.jpeg

then got to thinking “did I pull them to early?” Feel like might have pulled to early, how long do you wait to separate the male from babies when breeding bristlenose? Got a little worried because this is an Oscar tank with a catfish as well as the two parents 

the father is a chocolate and mother is a albino. Will the albino babies be more prone to have albinos when they breed? Because when I sell them I will be honest that their mixed. If you breed two albinos your not guaranteed all albino correct?  I have another batch from these parents about 1/3 is albino this batch seems about 1/2.

babies just fuel my desire to do more, get more tanks, buy more equipment, ect with that being said my wife will probably freak out when I tell her tomorrow. Yes tomorrow I’ll just enjoy tonight. 😂😂😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

As long as there is flow, I'm not sure you can pull Ancistrus eggs to early. I've pulled them and put them on air prior to hatching without an issue. Generally the easiest thing to do is pull the cave, get the male out, and then put air in the breeding cave in your breeder box. Once the babies hatch and are willing to come out they will. 

As for Albinos breeding true, I've never had known mixed gene babies. Any albinos I've spawned over the past 15 years (with both parents being Albino) always throw Albinos. But that being said I'm not sure if you take two of these siblings and spawn them to one another if they would throw normals. Generally, when you spawn two recessive gene's, as long as the parents hold the recessive gene on both sides, you should retain 100% of that gene in the offspring.

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2021 at 9:17 PM, Tihshho said:

As long as there is flow, I'm not sure you can pull Ancistrus eggs to early. I've pulled them and put them on air prior to hatching without an issue. Generally the easiest thing to do is pull the cave, get the male out, and then put air in the breeding cave in your breeder box. Once the babies hatch and are willing to come out they will. 

As for Albinos breeding true, I've never had known mixed gene babies. Any albinos I've spawned over the past 15 years (with both parents being Albino) always throw Albinos. But that being said I'm not sure if you take two of these siblings and spawn them to one another if they would throw normals. Generally, when you spawn two recessive gene's, as long as the parents hold the recessive gene on both sides, you should retain 100% of that gene in the offspring.

Thank you,

I did pull the cave but just poured the fry into the breeder box. Makes sense to let them come out when they naturally want too. Will be more aware of this next time. 👍

On 8/30/2021 at 7:24 AM, Guppysnail said:

Is that the ziss breeder? Please let me know how you like it I NEED this

Yes it is, I absolutely love it I bought 2 of them when I was breeding African cichlids. Started trying to use one of the net type and it was fate the day I started looking for a replacement aquarium coop put these on the site. 😁

• Like 2

On 8/30/2021 at 9:41 AM, Atitagain said:

Yes it is, I absolutely love it I bought 2 of them when I was breeding African cichlids. Started trying to use one of the net type and it was fate the day I started looking for a replacement aquarium coop put these on the site. 😁

I bought one 5 minutes after I seen your post. I have 2 nets but for the pleco they won’t work well I think ….idea #2 from you 😍 keep them coming please

• Love 1

last batch, i wasnt wanting i removed the object from the tank that was being used as a cave. well the babies were about 1/2". so the young were left to swim the 120g community tank. its been over a month, and they are doing fine. at least for me, baby bristlenose dont seem to be a tasty treat to the other fish.

On 8/30/2021 at 5:15 AM, Atitagain said:

Thank you,

I did pull the cave but just poured the fry into the breeder box. Makes sense to let them come out when they naturally want too. Will be more aware of this next time. 👍

At the stage they are at, doing what you did is 100% fine. I've still pulled them sooner without issue. It gets tricky if you're pulling fresh eggs due to an inexperienced or 'cabalistic' father who just eats clutch after clutch. IME pulling them around the stage you did yields the best survival results and you're able to view what's going on easily. When dealing with other Ancistrus species or other plecos, this method is somewhat mandatory to get the best results. When I was breeding Medusas (L034) I kept getting small clutch survival rate with leaving the offspring with the father and I didn't know why. After pulling the clutches I started to notice that the babies were somewhat cabalistic and unlike Ancistrus where the offspring grow at the same rate, it seemed as if some of the L034's would absorb the yolks faster than the others and then would prey upon the yolks of their slower siblings. Having them out of the cave meant I could see when the yolks were running low and then pull those and put them into another rearing container where they were more prone on eating baby brine and other prepared foods, otherwise leaving them with their siblings meant that the slower babies with the yolk sacs were the first choice for meals.

On 8/30/2021 at 9:54 AM, lefty o said:

last batch, i wasnt wanting i removed the object from the tank that was being used as a cave. well the babies were about 1/2". so the young were left to swim the 120g community tank. its been over a month, and they are doing fine. at least for me, baby bristlenose dont seem to be a tasty treat to the other fish.

I have another breeding group 3 female and 1 male that I wasn’t really trying to breed at the time. I needed to move them from a 20G to a 60G and as I picked up a cave the male was in it with a group of fry. I left them in the cave and moved it, a fairly heavily planted tank with just rummynose and a few lamp eye tetras. It’s been over a month and I haven’t seen any of the babies. I’m still hopeful for the Best But I think I lost them in the move. 🥺

On 8/30/2021 at 10:51 AM, Tihshho said:

At the stage they are at, doing what you did is 100% fine. I've still pulled them sooner without issue. It gets tricky if you're pulling fresh eggs due to an inexperienced or 'cabalistic' father who just eats clutch after clutch. IME pulling them around the stage you did yields the best survival results and you're able to view what's going on easily. 

Thank you so much 

@Tihshhoyou give very informative responses and very interesting way of explaining. I’ve seen you respond to others as well and already looking out for your post when an interesting subject comes up. I for 1 am so glad you found your way here!

• Love 1

Happy to help 🙂

Forums are all about learning from one another, so you need to pack in the information where you can. I'd rather people learn from my mistakes or observations and yield success rather than horde the information for myself. The perk about a forum is it's basically a never ending club meeting of various topics, not everyone knows everything, but everyone's experience compounded generates a vast amount of information in one place. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 9/6/2021 at 3:18 PM, DSH OUTDOORS said:

Made it through the long weekend without issues the way it looks. How are your little ones doing @AtitagainIMG_20210906_114837975.jpg.71115b1b7ee96bdc1495659f5e77125f.jpg

Glad they made it through, tough lil guys! bet you was worried the whole time. I know I would have been. 6E70A225-D033-4611-9208-56AF67D0C218.jpeg.ba6f6b6c753023ed7bb955b0d3e4669e.jpeg060B4ACC-E28F-4637-BCEE-D548DE933A23.jpeg.020f13bca4556d46ed05e84bc47174c0.jpeg01918BF5-515B-4FF5-B12E-134666A8F12A.jpeg.21a79f5d1022d98c125b8db42caf9ead.jpegall 3 batches of mine doing great! Been feeding them mix of veggies, flake, micro pellets, and they got a lil bloodworms tonight.

• Like 1
  • Love 1