Fish Food in a pepper grinder! A tip to feed larger foods to small fish.

StevesFishTanks

I recently purchased a pepper mill to see if it could grind down food for small fish or fry. It worked great.  I have been using nano and both 1.5 xtremes along with several other foods. I bought sera discus granules by the pound and made a video showing the pepper mill in use.  Can come in handy if you like to buy food in larger quantities and want more options for what size it can be fed to.

PXL_20210828_232051777.jpg

Edited by s1_
  • Like 4

What type of food are you crushing? I like the pepper mill because I can adjust the size of the grind. With the sera discus granules which are pretty similar to tetra tropical granules in size and shape I try to grind down just enough to be eaten while remaining slow sinking. I think with any food if you grind it or crush it too fine it will just cloud the tank. 

• Thanks 1

Mortar pestle is my go to. I tried pepper grinders not being air tight I didn’t care for them. When I do large batches I use coffee grinder or small food processor then seal bulk with food saver and freeze keeping a bit at a time in a small rubber maid container 

• Like 3

On 8/31/2021 at 5:07 AM, Atitagain said:

These all seem like good options. Can just buy xtreme big fellas for my cichlids then grind down for my tetra then again for babies and then fry mix. I like it a lot! Would save $

this forum is amazing, new ideas I would never think of daily!

Just got to check the ingredients/nutritional facts to see how close the food you want to grind down is to proven fry starter or nano etc

• 2 years later...
On 8/29/2021 at 8:32 AM, gardenman said:

I use a Mr. Coffeee coffee grinder and it's great for the job. It'll take any sized food you want to throw in and turn it into dust if that's what you want.

Do you have a link for this?

Sorry...thread from the dead...but looking into a store bought option. Hand grinding in a plastic container is a lot of work. 

On 4/10/2024 at 5:12 PM, Jeff said:

Do you have a link for this?

Sorry...thread from the dead...but looking into a store bought option. Hand grinding in a plastic container is a lot of work. 

I don't see the Mr. Coffee one any more, but Amazon has a very similar Black and Decker one, model CBG110S for around $17.

• Like 1