Pair of plecos for a 10 gallon

Stephen Zawacki

I understand one hundred percent all my tanks are under stocked for that very reason all I was getting at was if I had a pair and it would be species only not going for breeding that is what I was getting at. And the website I posted says the L 147s get to a max of 2.4 inches. Which I’ve always thought is pretty small. 

Edited by Stephen Zawacki

On 8/18/2021 at 11:56 PM, Tankseeker said:

Matter of fact if stephen doesn’t have a lot of time plecos are not the way to go ,get a Low maintenance fish

On 8/18/2021 at 9:16 PM, Stephen Zawacki said:

I am currently keeping a reef tank, a discus tank and a spotted Congo puffer tank... I’m going to be at college

Keeping up with these tanks at the same time you're keeping up with college is likely to be hard. I think it'd be smart to put a screeching halt to the plans for more fish. Several months from now? Maybe, maybe not. None of us want to see you fall face-first with the fishkeeping, nor with college. 

• Like 3

If you want something different and interesting for a 10 gallon, you could look into the teensy dwarf wood catfish (not for breeding, just for keeping). I think ninja cats or purple oil cats can stay in a 10 gallon, if you can source them. They are also a bit hard to find and they're nocturnal, so they'll only be active (but quite active) at night. I wouldn't get too many of them for a 10 if you decide to try it.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 9:03 AM, Stephen Zawacki said:

What are they dwarf wood catfish ?

The top photo is a purple oil woodcat, they get only about 1 inch long (2 inches max, but most sources are saying only around 1 inch as an adult). Ninja woodcats are the orca-patterned one, they get to a max of 2 inches.

reiticutatus.jpg

s-l400_1_22f9aa64-12f2-46bf-836d-2f8adfc4887a_grande.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

On 8/18/2021 at 9:48 PM, Stephen Zawacki said:

https://aquanswers.com/small-pleco-species/

read this here he reccomeds them for 10 gallons, and he says they max out at 2.4 inches 

Planetcatfish.com I would consider probably the most reliable single source I’ve found for L pleco species information says that L147’s get to 5.9”, so a 10 gallon would definitely not be a great choice for a life long tank.

Most of the smallest plecos are very hard to find at your LFS and in very high demand since dwarf plecos are becoming more popular all the time.  They each have a bit different requirements, some need wood, some need meat, some need higher than average temps, etc, so I’d strongly suggest you check out on planetcatfish.com every single species you might be considering.  If breeding reports exist, they’ll have links to the report(s) on that site.

I’m still in the process, myself, of learning more about the dwarf plecos and finding that the prettiest, smallest dwarfs are running $40.00 to $100.00 each, and sometimes even more in many cases, for 1” juvenile fish.  I don’t know of ANY dwarf plecos smaller than bristlenoses that aren’t very expensive IF you can find them at all.  The smallest plecos I’ve seen in my LFS are the BN’s.  Personally, I would not risk a very expensive pair or trio of fish to a 10G tank.

Edit to add to correct that I have seen clown plecos in my LFS for around $8.00 or $10.00 each, I think.  They are smaller than BN’s but you will only rarely see them since they are nocturnal and excellent at hiding.  I have 1 in my 100 G that I haven’t seen in over 2 months.  I hope s/he’s still alive, who knows?  In a 12 G quarantine tank I only occasionally saw it, so I decided I didn’t need more for the 100G and went with BN’s instead.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1