Pair of plecos for a 10 gallon

Stephen Zawacki

A pit bull pleco is the smallest I know of I think 2 inches.  To breed in a 10 though? I think most pleco have 60-120 fry. I am not an expert by any means but my BN pleco are poop machines and would kill a 10. Any pleco in a 10 I would only imagine daily huge water changes. Good luck though. I hope you get a good answer I have some 10s I wouldn’t mind a small plecos help in! 😁

On 8/18/2021 at 8:00 PM, Tankseeker said:

@laritheloud I suppose it’s possible but still pushing it I think minimum breeding tank size should be a 20

I wasn't even thinking about breeding Otos, but yes, you're absolutely right. I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping a school of otos in a 10, personally ... I know they like company.

• Like 1

That is something you must consider before purchasing any fish. You can remove any eggs and dispose of them or research breeding behavior etc. and you can have a spare tub/tote/tank cycled ready to go to raise them. Example…my BN just hatched in a 20long..I have 1 30 gallon tote ready and just bought a spare 20 gallon tote in case the 30 is not large enough. I have enough extra filters running in different tanks to accommodate and enough driftwood and plants for these. 

My suggestion is to spend time learning about each fish you think you may want. Their likes dislikes environment p/food/care needs. Breeding patterns when to remove eggs fry  if needed etc. in my experience just getting a fish because it fits in your tank is a very poor idea. I have many times wanted a certain fish..due to needs time requirements life span breeding numbers food preferences etc etc I decided they were not the correct fish to be in my care. Again just because they fit your tank does not mean they are the correct choice for you. Research many avenues books videos internet searches and learn about the fish 

• Like 4

I'm going to echo what @Tankseeker and @Guppysnail said and also add a reminder that the gold spot dwarf pleco is probably going to be quite difficult to source. I can't find it for sale anywhere reputable online, and I'm not sure an LFS will routinely get them in.

I would start with what is accessible to you, and then consider a fish that is realistic within your lifestyle, needs, and level of care you can provide. There are lots of wonderful nano fish that will live a happy life in a 10 gallon tank.

Edited by laritheloud
  • Like 1

To echo a few people who have already said something similar -

I don’t think it’s worth trying to push what you can put into the tank. It’s probably best to either go with something that will comfortably fit in the 10 gallon, or to get a larger tank if you’re set on keeping/breeding L number plecos.

• Like 2

I am currently keeping a reef tank, a discus tank and a spotted Congo puffer tank so I’m not a noob.  My next challenge was plecos and I’m going to be at college and I know plecos are hardy and realitevy easy to care for.  I was just wondering if the L 147s in a 10 was feasible without stressing the fish, and keeping them happy.

I was coming here because I know there are amazing people who are super advanced in the hobby and I was wanting their input also.

Edited by Stephen Zawacki

In my experience of keeping pleco the larger the tank the better some species of Otto's will do well in heavily planted 10 gallon with some species you have to take in to account territorial aggression  if I remember rightly L147 get to about 5.9in so I don't think they would be suitable long term in  a ten gallon 

• Like 1

if you just have to do it, i would not do a pair of bristlenose in a 10. the females run about 5", the males closer to 6", and they are poop monsters. i would not do anything bigger than clown or rubber lip. stick with ones that get no more than 3.5" or so. a 15 or 20 gal would ultimately be a better choice if you can go larger than 10.

• Like 2