Little stowaway snail

Ilovebettas

Why look who I found in my tank just a few minutes ago while I was admiring my frogbit roots A LITTLE SNAIL personally I think he is very cute and would not mind keeping him ill attach some pictures at the bottom but he is about the size of a pencil eraser and he was just on my wall moving his little mouth so first of all im trying to figure where he came from because my tank isnt even fully cycled BUT I did get a replacement for one of my plants that came in melted maybe 2 or 3 days ago so im guessing thats how he snuck in but i was just wondering if he would be doing any harm to my tank/ future betta and if he isnt UHHHH how can I safely remove him because i dont want thousands of snails  the pictures are kind of blurry but he is very little so whoops thanks!

Snapchat-2020508360.jpg

Snapchat-100198507.jpg

Edited by Ilovebettas
  • Like 2

Congratulations- you are the happy new pet owner of a buncho snails. Those little suckers don't need partners to reproduce- you might THINK you have ONE but there are likely more and eggs to boot already. I tried to battle them myself- even cleaned out the entire tank, put in new substrate, bleached the plants, guess what? I still have them. So. Smile, don't overfeed the fish you get, and enjoy your pet snails. 🙂  

In all seriousness, I've made my peace with bladder snails. I have them in 2 tanks now. My betta tank, since you were asking, no harm there- she may even eat some of the babies or eggs. They just cruise around, cleaning stuff. Not as good at it as my Nerites, but they're ok. Now I pretend that it was my idea to let them stay. Hehe. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 12:58 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

you might THINK you have ONE but there are likely more and eggs to boot already

crossing my fingers they havent laid eggs <3

I watch my tank very closely and I am hoping there is no more 

gary is cute but i dont want thousands of him

I'd say "give them a chance". I was freaked out by my first bladder snail, which suddenly appeared in my first cycling tank the same way yours did, but in 7 years I've never had an infestation. There are a decent number in both my tanks but they are by no means the first thing you notice. It really is all about the feeding; just add food in moderation and you shouldn't have a problem. They will multiply but the population will plateau. In my case I now consider them an integral part of my little ecosystems ... I wouldn't want to have a tank without them. You can always get an assassin snail or snail hunting fish later if you decide you hate them. Good luck and enjoy your tank!

• Like 1

I received the 2 gold mystery snails that I ordered and when I unwrapped them they were attached to a green fuzzy material so I put it in the water and moved it back and forth to get them off.  I thought all was good but the next day I found a 3rd gold mystery snail not much bigger than a BB that snuck in and came along for the ride.

I feel good about it 🙂

• Like 1

I love my bladder snails I keep them intentionally and sort them into my tanks in specie colors. Look closely at substrate and plants you will see jelly sacs with eggs. I suggest removing them because it will help control numbers. You may have a big population burst as they clean every nook and cranny of every plant and substrate.  They are natures gardeners. When they are done cleaning and food runs low their numbers will decrease and your plants will look AMAZING and all the hard to reach spots in your tank will be clean. 
this is Honey I put her in a tank alone intentionally for her color now all of my tanks are this color and my other colors go to my lfs as tank cleaners and unfortunately they are sold as parasite free locally bred food for pea puffers and loaches etc. 

7C57B673-83B7-4064-9324-18F57EC06963.jpeg

• Love 2

On 7/15/2021 at 4:39 PM, Guppysnail said:

Look closely at substrate and plants you will see jelly sacs with eggs.

These white dots came from the biofilm on my drift wood i scrubbed off but I dont think they look like eggs because they are kinda just floating around? other then that the only thing in my substrate is melted plants... what do you think though?

20210715_172940.jpg

20210715_172953 (1).jpg

You will have a clean tank! Mine are great house keepers. My son smashes (sorry no offense) the eggs when he sees them and the other fish eat the eggs. In the morning when I turn the light on and see them on any of my big stones i will take the stone out and....sorry again....feed them to my chickens. I do however leave quite a few in. I do love having snails. But not a million😁 they are not harmful to any of my fish that i have experienced.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 8:55 PM, Sweetpickles said:

You will have a clean tank! Mine are great house keepers. My son smashes (sorry no offense) the eggs when he sees them and the other fish eat the eggs. In the morning when I turn the light on and see them on any of my big stones i will take the stone out and....sorry again....feed them to my chickens. I do however leave quite a few in. I do love having snails. But not a million😁 they are not harmful to any of my fish that i have experienced.

I flush all the sacs I find. I never leave any in I see for every sac I see I know there are 10 I don’t. 🤣

• Like 1

I was really worried when I brought Bladder snails in on live plants, but I find that my bladder snail population is self limiting and so I don't mind them as much any more.  They are extremely fast and will make a trails in the water change bucket.  But for every one you see there are going to be 100 eggs that you don't.  You can tell the eggs because they feel like Jello to the touch.