Buying fish online

MNG

Hello All -

I am new on here, but old to the hobby, although returning now after a 25 year hiatus - things have changed in 25 years!

I am just starting up a new 65 gallon freshwater aquarium - now filled with water, filter is running, heater is in, etc.

Now, I'm looking around for fish - local store has good quality fish, but a very limited selection.

So I've been scouting out online sellers. Are there any out there that the good folks on this forum might recommend? I have encountered Quinn's Fins on Amazon and visited their own website - made a good impression on me. PetZoneSD has a very big selection.

What do you say? Recommendations?

Tnx

MNG

• Like 1

aquahuna is cheap and has a good policy but for delicate or more interesting fishes i tend to prefer wetspot.  If you are buying tetra or rasbora aquahuna all the way; if you are buying winemilleri or cupido i'd go with wetspot.

• Like 2

Since this site is run by our wonderful host, the coop, we’re actually not allowed to talk about other companies (per the guidelines)…

We don't discuss other aquarium related companies both positively or negatively.

…though there are some exceptions.

Links to competitors are prohibited. Amazon.com, Ebay.com, Aquabid.com, and Aquahuna.com are approved.

So Aqua Huna is the official, approved answer—but in all honesty, I’ve been very happy with what I’ve ordered from them. Healthy fish with relatively cheap shipping compared to competitors. I’ve gotten nice fish on Aquabid as well!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve bought fish from Sachs Aquaculture, the Wet Spot, Imperial Tropicals, and Get Gills.  I’ve never had anything go wrong from any of those places. 

My mom (lives in the same general region) has ordered from Wet Spot and Aquatic Arts and has had things go smoothly as well. 

You’ll definitely get some horror stories, but in my experience ordering online is easy and reliable. 

edit: I guess maybe talking about other stores is a no-go per above comment? I have no issue with this being deleted. 

Edited by Nordlys Fish Room
  • Like 1

In addition to the places others have mentioned, Rachel O'Leary (Invertebrates by Msjinkzd) used to have some really nice fish. I think she isn't selling as much these days.

Recently I have purchased some cichlids from Sand City Cichlids and had no problem at all dealing with them. The fish arrived safely and had good genes by all appearances.

Edited by Ozymandias
Misspelled Rachel's name, oops
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 1:39 PM, GameCzar said:

Just in case you ever need convincing to use AquaHuna,  just check out this vid featuring the owner.   If his passion and pedigree doesn't convince you, nothing will! 

Thanks for sharing that video. I did not know they were partners with ACO.

• Like 1

I just got some amano shrimp, some bloody mary shrimp and 2 different types of mystery snails fron aqua huna 2 weeks ago...all are doing well and have eaten every bit of algae I had in the tank.  WIN WIN!!

Edited by ARMYVET
  • Love 1

On 7/9/2021 at 3:08 PM, ARMYVET said:

I just got some amano shrimp, some bloody mary shrimp and 2 different types of mystery snails fron aqua huna 2 weeks ago...all are doing well and have eaten every bit of algae I had in the tank.  WIN WIN!!

Bloody Marys are SO awesome looking!  

• Like 1