Whats your favourite Dwarf Cichlid?

dorsalfin

Hello fishy friends!

I think the dwarf cichlid group holds some of the most captivating fish!

One of my absolute favourites hands down is the Apistogramma Baenschi. The large spikey dorsal fins almost make them look like little fish punks and to top off with a bright blue sheen body and orange accents to their fins they really draw the eye. 

I'm interested what are your favourite cichlids or a must to keep one day? 🙂

On 7/6/2021 at 4:59 PM, Colu said:

It got to be Bolivian rams they are one of the more peaceful dwarf cichlids beautiful colours

Yeah for sure. Full grown Bolivians when that subtle reddish pinkish tone comes through are gems. 🙂

• Like 1

I've always been partial to rams - specifically colour morph gold rams. Some of the apisto are nice though I have a dislike for cockatoo but gold rams are my pick. The thing is that there are 100's if not 1000's of dwarf cichlid and my experience is some what limited. So many species i don't really know much about... and some of the less common apisto like woof are well ... eye catching. Another dwarf cichlid i have experience with that i like a lot are nijjensi. Nijjensj are very nice indeed and a loyal pair they make.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2021 at 5:19 PM, anewbie said:

I've always been partial to rams - specifically colour morph gold rams. Some of the apisto are nice though I have a dislike for cockatoo but gold rams are my pick. The thing is that there are 100's if not 1000's of dwarf cichlid and my experience is some what limited. So many species i don't really know much about... and some of the less common apisto like woof are well ... eye catching. Another dwarf cichlid i have experience with that i like a lot are nijjensi. Nijjensj are very nice indeed and a loyal pair they make.

The Gold and german strains are pretty. Not so much a fan of the dark knight rams personally. Its cool there's a new morph but doesn't quite hit it for me.

Baenschi are apart of that Nijsenni group and I agree my pair have no issues at all.

• Like 1

Bolivians for sure. I guess you could say 'entry level' dwarf cichlid, but their as beautiful as any other in my opinion.  (My male, eyeing me up)20210425_183433.jpg.2d7523733fe6aa575edfb043128d93a6.jpgThe red trim on the dorsal, pink and speckled anal fin and red trailers half as long as his tail...  If I was a lady fish I'd be all over him lol.

Edited by Siett88
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

On 7/6/2021 at 8:15 PM, Pizzafan said:

I don’t necessarily think Bolivian rams are the coolest, but I own one in my 20G long and he’s my favorite fish to watch! Also cool watching them feed and spitting out sand 

Agreed hunting for all those little micro foods. 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 2:19 AM, Dwayne Brown said:

My favorite are the Bolivian Rams. I really like their peaceful disposition, they are really colorful in their own way, and they don't hide when you walk up to the aquarium. Mine actually takes food out of my hand.

Yeah that's the one downside to my pair at the moment they are still a bit timid when people approach the tank. They duck into their caves until they muster up the confidence.🤣

• Like 2

On 7/7/2021 at 4:18 AM, MAC said:

Really enjoying my Nannacara anomala right now. The breeding colors of the female as she's leading around her group of fry is really impressive. 

Havent kept any Nantawarra before they are from African regions aren't they?

On 7/6/2021 at 1:18 PM, MAC said:

Really enjoying my Nannacara anomala right now. The breeding colors of the female as she's leading around her group of fry is really impressive. 

I have a pair of these the last couple of years. Both the female and male have really nice but distinct personalities.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 11:59 PM, Colu said:

It got to be Bolivian rams they are one of the more peaceful dwarf cichlids beautiful colours

I just got 4 of them for my 30 gal today… they acclimated so quickly and are eating algae off of everything (which i did not expect) i’m stoked for them to grow in/get used to their new environment