I got back into the hobby last year during quarantine and I am sure you all know how it starts...one tank...two tanks...twenty-five tanks. Over the last year I have been using my crawl space under the house with a basic setup (i.e. the cinderblock and 2x4 method) but in the next month or so, we will be moving into a home that we bought and I wanted to share my plans to build and expand the fish room. I will dedicate 325 sq. ft. to the new room and I hope to be adding multiple racks, auto-water change system, heating the entire room, etc. 

I have had a lot of success selling on line over the past year and have learned a lot, but I still desire to learn more. I would also love to share this in order to see any input or suggestions you guys may have. The rough dimensions are 29'x11'. 

17361129.png

• Like 6

Exciting! I’m sure you’ll find good folks on the forum who you bounce ideas off of hope to learn from your posts on this build. One thing I find valuable is plumbing built in very near or in the fishroom.

Whats been your go-to method for selling fish online? 

• Like 1

• Administrators

My advice is to research as many other fishrooms as possible to try and determine what you like, but more importantly what you don't like. Since you are starting with a blank canvas, you have a lot of options to optimize the room. Besides the obvious such as auto water change, drains, insulation, heating the room, also look into other things that you may not think of. So many times when I see fishrooms, they are cool to look at, but lack the comfort of being able to hang out and lounge in the fishroom. Assuming that you will want to spend a lot of time in there, also think about a dehumidifier with an automatic drain, and having seating. Additionally, a lot of fish rooms can be very loud. Reducing the noise in the fishroom will help with the overall ambiance as well as make it better if you ever decide to film in there.

Good luck!

On 6/25/2021 at 11:45 AM, Fish Folk said:

Exciting! I’m sure you’ll find good folks on the forum who you bounce ideas off of hope to learn from your posts on this build. One thing I find valuable is plumbing built in very near or in the fishroom.

Whats been your go-to method for selling fish online? 

Yes I am hoping so! 

ebay has been the place where I have had the most success. I sell consistently there and have been profiting well each month. I also sell on getgills. 

• Thanks 1

I am in the process of building my fish room too. I must say that it is best to have a solid plan before starting. I did not have a plan when I started a year ago and now I’m regretting that. However, I can still change it, as I haven’t set up a ton of tanks yet so I’m not too worried. The mistake I made was not insulating and putting inner walls/ceiling. It gets really cold during the winter and hot in the summer so I really want to heat and cool the room instead of each individual tank.

I’m excited to see your fish room come together as it’s always fun to see how different people do things 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 8:22 PM, Ryo Watanabe said:

I am in the process of building my fish room too. I must say that it is best to have a solid plan before starting. I did not have a plan when I started a year ago and now I’m regretting that. However, I can still change it, as I haven’t set up a ton of tanks yet so I’m not too worried. The mistake I made was not insulating and putting inner walls/ceiling. It gets really cold during the winter and hot in the summer so I really want to heat and cool the room instead of each individual tank.

I’m excited to see your fish room come together as it’s always fun to see how different people do things 🙂

I’ve been enjoying your videos on the fishroom build. It’s such a cool space with the metal beams and your renovations are making it even better. 😀

• Like 1