Macaroni and Cheese

Streetwise

I would start a thread on pizza... but I just foresee that it could shred through all my warnings and result in extreme  restrictions. Aquariums? I can be easy going about them. Pizza? No. There is only one way that it should be done. East coast food loyalty is peerless.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 10:08 PM, Streetwise said:

I think that all hobby threads that bring joy, also build community. These connections help when we talk about our aquarium stuff.

Agreed.

For this reason, I dare not start a proper pizza thread!

• Haha 2

On 6/27/2021 at 3:13 AM, James Black said:

I didn't even knew that exsisted. I guess ham comes in a can therefore anything can.

Never had Mac and cheese out of a can your missing a treat

Edited by Colu
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 5 months later...

Well, tonight I was finally able to make Älpermagronen thanks to the winter supply of raclette cheese.  I decided to finish it under the broiler in a large cast iron pan, thanks to the includence from @Streetwise's awesome cooking thread.  Turned out okay.  Have a look:

Alepnmorg.JPG.02588bd48da13c3c18019af72930f8f7.JPG

Those of you familiar with the recipe will immediately notice the lack of fried onions.  I'll admit, it is not an orthodox recipe I use.  For a start I use a full morany-style sauce.  Sacrilege, I know. 

Those observant might be asking about the color of the pasta.  Well, I thought I'd try using whole wheat pasta for the first time.  If you are wondering about the result, I'd sum it up as: mistake.  The richness of the cheese flavors and the nuance of the seasoning is utterly lost.  Live and learn.  It's raclette season, so there will be other chances.  😎 

• Haha 1

I make creamy homemade mac and cheese in the Instant Pot using evaporated milk, butter, cheddar, jack and parmesan. There's no real benefit to making it in the instant pot vs. on the stove, but the instant pot insert takes up less space in the dishwasher than my big pasta pot and there's no lifting the pot to drain the pasta, either. 

My kids were raised on Annie's in the green box with some frozen peas thrown in the water during the last minute of cooking the pasta. Fancy!

• Like 1