What Angelfish Would You Breed?

Shenandoah Aquatics

On 6/14/2021 at 8:31 PM, alpenglow007 said:

If you were getting into Angelfish breeding and selling online what would you choose to breed?

This comes down to totally personal choices.

This Altum Angel display set up by George Farmer is spellbinding...

4BF2EB1B-9B61-418C-88F8-597BE52B47E7.jpeg.f39e165de658315e3251b926c5e62f44.jpeg

But, personally, the Koi Angels we bred were a great delight once they shaped up...

For a complete top-to-bottom how-to on breeding them, here’s a thread on the forum...

Angelfish was one of the first fish I ever got! So it will always have a special place in my heart.

Personally I would do the Red Koi angelfish and really try to get the red out of them. Altums are my favorite angelfish, but I probably wouldn't breed them just keep them. They are super facisnating though, just got to get a big enough tank. 

I also really like the phillipine blue angelfish. I had one not to long ago, but it died 😞 it was showing breeding signs with one of my other angels too 😞 

image.png

• Like 1

If you are breeding strictly to make money there are some less common variety like pinoy alibino ghost and some of the  bulgarian varieties. if you are breeding for your own curiosity then i would start with a pair close to what you find pleasing and then play a bit with the genetics to produce something closer to what you find pleasing. An example might be koi and trying to produce a different pattern or pearl-scale platinum zebra. The fact that you mention selling online in your question makes me believe it is the former - then look at what is selling for the most $$ and go down that route. Before you start down that route you might check into how angel genetics work - this page might get you started:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/angelfish-genetics.php

and this link might help a little

http://www.theangelfishsociety.org/phenotype_library_2007/

as well as this link

https://angelfins.ca/index.php?main_page=genetics_calculator

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 11:31 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I’d say the red shoulder manacapuru angels are pretty amazing. I tried to get some from a guy here in the PNW and they sold out super fast. I’ve also seen some crosses with pearl scales and platinums that were pretty sensational!

I would second manacapuru red angelfish they are stunning

Screenshot_20210313-015237~3.png

• Love 1

I would suggest red koi or Philippine blue, they seem popular. Are you shipping or selling to lfs? If you are selling to your lfs see what the sell the most of or ask the public in our area. Blue marble bumblees and the dark ones with long fins are very pretty. But the red kois and philippine blues seem to sell in mass quantities. 

On 6/17/2021 at 11:52 AM, BriannesFishFam said:

I would suggest red koi or Philippine blue, they seem popular. Are you shipping or selling to lfs? If you are selling to your lfs see what the sell the most of or ask the public in our area. Blue marble bumblees and the dark ones with long fins are very pretty. But the red kois and philippine blues seem to sell in mass quantities. 

I will be selling exclusively online! Thank you for your recommendation. 

Edited by alpenglow007

On 6/17/2021 at 12:11 PM, BriannesFishFam said:

Do you have a place you will be selling? Like your own website, or a provided service whom takes a small percent of funds such as our fish collective or getgills?

Yeah I already sell on various platforms at the moment. I’m just wanting to expand the types of fish that I want to breed. I will be adding about 50 tanks very soon and expanding so just looking for great ideas!