Maggots in aquarium?

Have you guys ever found a maggot or multiple maggots in your aquarium?? I’ve been finding them almost daily in my guppy fry tank recently and it’s occurred before but not consistently like this. Just curious if this is a natural thing other people experienced before or it’s a me problem and something I gotta fix with my setups. It could also be from our upstairs renter, they have a patio that over hangs our lanai room give us a roof but they’ve left trash out before and I’ve had maggots fall through the floor and end up on my sidewalk but we talked and it pretty sure he wouldn’t do it again.(I really hope) but I don’t have pics totally spaced on taking them but next time which shouldn’t be long they appear I’ll get some pics up. Aloha and thank you. 🤙🏽

5 minutes ago, HanaHoo808 said:

Have you guys ever found a maggot or multiple maggots in your aquarium?? I’ve been finding them almost daily in my guppy fry tank recently and it’s occurred before but not consistently like this. Just curious if this is a natural thing other people experienced before or it’s a me problem and something I gotta fix with my setups. It could also be from our upstairs renter, they have a patio that over hangs our lanai room give us a roof but they’ve left trash out before and I’ve had maggots fall through the floor and end up on my sidewalk but we talked and it pretty sure he wouldn’t do it again.(I really hope) but I don’t have pics totally spaced on taking them but next time which shouldn’t be long they appear I’ll get some pics up. Aloha and thank you. 🤙🏽

Hmm... can you upload some photos? Are you sure they’re maggots and not something like planaria? 

Disgusting? Yes. Free fish food? Also yes! I'm not sure this one weird trick to create free fish food is going to take the hobby by storm, unfortunately.

I'd be instantly concerned with a neighbor piling rotting garage above you, that's a human health hazard not to mention the other pests it attracts. I hope that isn't the case!

• Like 2

Found some in my breeding tanks this time! These are on the top of the rack open tops no lids just the light but there’s no build up I a iPhone left over food out daily since it’s bare bottoms and just a sponge filter with a few artificial decorations. These look like they could’ve been in the tank for at least a day or two and I overlooked them or they’re a catapillar type of worm we have here with spikes all over it’s body but they’re colored and which is even more weird  Is we’ve recently built a extended roof below their deck so it would block more rain and adds more extension from the edge of their patio that the maggots were walking off the edge before. Here’s more pics as well of the area and building 

1D3137D2-FDB8-4AA7-BE4E-990FF4907C0A.jpeg

A2615675-4CA0-493C-ACC5-1C0D0674BBDD.jpeg

A6A7515E-3FB7-4B28-82BF-CBCE380EAC46.jpeg

975509DB-91F4-4741-9E58-B6A9FA2EC104.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by HanaHoo808

The horsefly lays eggs on vegetation overhanging the water and the larvae fall into the water or onto the moist soil near the water. Then they burrow into the river substrate or the moist soil near the bank. I didn't know any of this 20 minutes ago. Of course the larva HannaHoo808 has might be some other kind, but I think Patrick_G is right about it being an aquatic insect larva.

So some seems to be alive. I’ve thrown them on the ground to see if they would start moving the first time I didn’t, 5 minutes later I looked again and it was gone 🤦🏽‍♂️ so I tried again the next time and this time I could see it moving around and what looked like to be a tongue protruding out and in kinda freaky to me now. We do have a lot of fruit trees around us being in Hawaii we have about 3 mango trees and various other fruits and veggies. Though I do have an aquaponics system running on the side and that hasn’t seen anything unless my comets are tackling them. These seem a lil too big for any of my fish to feed on