5 gallon ideas

Taco Playz

I enjoy small tanks. I have plants and snails in a 1.25, shrimp in several 2.5 tanks, a betta in a 3.5, plants and snails in additional 3.5 tanks, and a 7.5 with ember tetras plus shrimp. These are all boring organic soil tanks with minimal gravel caps and tons of plants.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a lot of space for large tanks at my residence so I am familiar with some of what goes into stocking a 5gal. As others have mentioned, it is a bit of a catch-22 because most teeny fish show better behavior in large groups, which kind of defeats the purpose because then you need a bigger tank anyway. Fwiw, I'll share what I have and what I make of the stability of each tank:

5.3gal cube #1: This tank started with 6 white cloud mountain minnows and caridina shrimp. Like OP, I prefer no-heater tanks and am OK with the limitations of that. The tank did well in terms of bioload and maintenance, but I felt like the minnows were cramped in there, and the shrimp just never came out. One day I looked over from my desk and saw a minnow madly chase a juvenile shrimp until it scurried under the driftwood. I moved the minnows to my outdoor mini pond same day. They are doing great in there and have started reproducing successfully; meanwhile, now the shrimp are out all the time and generally appear much less stressed than they were.

5.3gal cube #2: This one is a bit overstocked but it's doing OK for now. Wild-type betta, 5 exclamation point rasboras, a snail, and 6 rosy loaches. Oh and some shrimp that never ever come out. The rasboras are a perfect example of what I was talking about earlier: they'd do better in a group of twice as many or more, but then the tank would be really cramped. Amazingly, the betta leaves all his tankmates alone -- he is more interested in trying to kill me, I think. (Flares whenever he sees my finger.)

5.5gal long: Three Asian stone catfish, 30+ zebra caridina babaulti shrimp breeding colony that has absolutely taken off in recent months, and a mystery snail. In many ways this is my most easygoing tank. It's got an algae problem, but the livestock have been really happy and healthy, so that's great.

2.5gal cube: Mixed orange and orange rili neocaridina shrimp. They're doing OK. It's really hard to keep this small a volume of water stable, and I definitely had some ammonia problems in the beginning. Almost lost the whole colony before it even started because of that. 

So...my general opinion on stocking a 5-gallon tank is that you can go ahead & try whatever sounds reasonable to you, but please do be prepared with a backup plan in case it's not working out in the livestock's favor. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2021 at 11:02 AM, RyanU said:

Iknow Pigmy Cory's would work for bottom feeders. 

I have 3 and they seem to really enjoy racing around the middle of the tank together throughout the day; could compete for space with other middle dwellers. They do take their breaks/rest/eat on the bottom though.

On 5/24/2021 at 12:22 PM, Taco Playz said:

I'm now going for a school of white clouds and a school of panda cories. Maybe even a few neocardinia shrimp

I’m afraid you’re over stocking! This is a five gallon tank, right? Any occupants need to be the home schooled variety; perhaps a beta, a snail and some live plants. Best of luck!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mahi27 said:

I don't have a lot of space for large tanks at my residence so I am familiar with some of what goes into stocking a 5gal. As others have mentioned, it is a bit of a catch-22 because most teeny fish show better behavior in large groups, which kind of defeats the purpose because then you need a bigger tank anyway. Fwiw, I'll share what I have and what I make of the stability of each tank:

5.3gal cube #1: This tank started with 6 white cloud mountain minnows and caridina shrimp. Like OP, I prefer no-heater tanks and am OK with the limitations of that. The tank did well in terms of bioload and maintenance, but I felt like the minnows were cramped in there, and the shrimp just never came out. One day I looked over from my desk and saw a minnow madly chase a juvenile shrimp until it scurried under the driftwood. I moved the minnows to my outdoor mini pond same day. They are doing great in there and have started reproducing successfully; meanwhile, now the shrimp are out all the time and generally appear much less stressed than they were.

5.3gal cube #2: This one is a bit overstocked but it's doing OK for now. Wild-type betta, 5 exclamation point rasboras, a snail, and 6 rosy loaches. Oh and some shrimp that never ever come out. The rasboras are a perfect example of what I was talking about earlier: they'd do better in a group of twice as many or more, but then the tank would be really cramped. Amazingly, the betta leaves all his tankmates alone -- he is more interested in trying to kill me, I think. (Flares whenever he sees my finger.)

5.5gal long: Three Asian stone catfish, 30+ zebra caridina babaulti shrimp breeding colony that has absolutely taken off in recent months, and a mystery snail. In many ways this is my most easygoing tank. It's got an algae problem, but the livestock have been really happy and healthy, so that's great.

2.5gal cube: Mixed orange and orange rili neocaridina shrimp. They're doing OK. It's really hard to keep this small a volume of water stable, and I definitely had some ammonia problems in the beginning. Almost lost the whole colony before it even started because of that. 

So...my general opinion on stocking a 5-gallon tank is that you can go ahead & try whatever sounds reasonable to you, but please do be prepared with a backup plan in case it's not working out in the livestock's favor. 

Wow, Asian Stone Cats look super cool, how big do they get?

As everyone has already posted - In a 5 gallon your water volume is so low you need fish with a small bio load. Anything bigger than pygmy corys or a few otos, will leave little room for error on water parameters if they start to go south. especially with only bi-weekly water changes. CPDs are small and can tolerate lower temps as can white clouds. Plants that consume a lot of nitrates will help.

Edited by Griznatch