5 gallon ideas

Taco Playz

How about rasboras or neon tetras? They tend to stay in the middle and are a great schooling fish. Cherry shrimp or blue velvet shrimp are also great for a 5 gallon set up, I have some cherry shrimp and orange bee shrimp in my 5 gallon. You could also try some ottocinclus catfish. They're great algae eaters and you can have about 2-3 in a five gallon planted tank. I have 3 of these guys in a 5 gallon long tank and they're a great algae eating clean up crew. 

4 hours ago, Taco Playz said:

Ok I heard those aren't very hardy. Is that true?

I have kept them for years and they've been in many different tanks/setups, while I have lost a few, I have found them to be hardy enough. I haven't raised any of their fry, but in the time I've had with them I could've pulled eggs or put them species only and raised more. One of my favorite setups was a 10 gallon pygmy rasbora and pygmy corydora stocking with cherry shrimp.

1 hour ago, Sakura Betta said:

How about rasboras or neon tetras? They tend to stay in the middle and are a great schooling fish. Cherry shrimp or blue velvet shrimp are also great for a 5 gallon set up, I have some cherry shrimp and orange bee shrimp in my 5 gallon. You could also try some ottocinclus catfish. They're great algae eaters and you can have about 2-3 in a five gallon planted tank. I have 3 of these guys in a 5 gallon long tank and they're a great algae eating clean up crew. 

Would Harlyquin rasboras work. I am going for a tank without a heater so they would probably have to be fish on the colder side.

1 hour ago, Bru said:

I have kept them for years and they've been in many different tanks/setups, while I have lost a few, I have found them to be hardy enough. I haven't raised any of their fry, but in the time I've had with them I could've pulled eggs or put them species only and raised more. One of my favorite setups was a 10 gallon pygmy rasbora and pygmy corydora stocking with cherry shrimp.

That sounds like a really fun tank.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Taco Playz said:

Would Harlyquin rasboras work. I am going for a tank without a heater so they would probably have to be fish on the colder side.

I know they can live in temperatures as low as 72 degrees and as high as 80 degrees. They're a tropical fish so I would assume they like warmer water. I do know CPDs can live in cold water as can rainbow shiners. So maybe those might work better without a heater.

23 minutes ago, Ben_RF said:

I am not trying to be rude, but just to make sure your tank size is 5 gallons?  

With a tank that small it will be hard to stock anything beyond one or two species, and they will need to be nano.

I’ve already measured it. It’s all the correct dimentions

Here are some stocking ideas.  The thing is with smaller fish, a lot of them need to be kept in groups. There are exceptions like bettas.  It is very hard to be able to get a group that is top, mid, and bottom because the actual tank is just so small.  You are pretty much not going to have a mid section.  And for corydoras you will not really want to go with anything bigger than pygmy.  I know you asked about Panda, but they are just to big because you will need to keep them in groups. 

• Like 1

If you are new to fish keeping, I would encourage you to maybe consider a plakat betta as they are hardy and make a great fish 5 a gallon.  You might be able to keep 2-3 african dwarfs and maybe a mystery snail with it.