On 6/11/2021 at 8:22 PM, eatyourpeas said:

As I was doing a WC on the little tank today, I discovered the two Grainyhand crabs are still there, so they did not die from the last tank bad event! And I watched one of the hermits grab an amphipod in mid swim and eat it for dinner! Crustaceans are so cool! 🤪

inverts are the coolest especially in saltwater, one of my favorite is the pom pom crab(I haven't kept them) 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/11/2021 at 6:24 PM, quirkylemon103 said:

inverts are the coolest especially in saltwater, one of my favorite is the pom pom crab(I haven't kept them) 

Reef PomPoms are so fun looking! I would love to witness a territorial battle between them showing off their anemones as the ultimate weapon of domination! 😄

Running the tank with filter (a.k.a. VSump for Vertical Sump) and skimmer. Because it is all homemade, my level of confidence is very, very low. So far a few days into it with no leaks and performance appears to be there.

An important note: it now has FW, but will eventually be a SW tank, therefore the skimmer is not calibrated yet.

PXL_20210613_232029638.jpg.eea6a68ac018e7cbfef223b085689250.jpg

As a PNW Marine Biologist I LOVE this. I am sorry I just now stumbled onto this thread a chiller is an absolute must for these setups, but we live and we learn. Cannot wait to watch this unfold.

What field guide are you using to identify your species? Soles and sculpin are incredibly hard to ID and you nailed it. We use Eschmeyer so if you haven't picked one of those up, I would recommend. Entitled Pacific Coast Fishes I believe. 

Also what capture methods are you using? I am just curious I am not going to sick the marine police on you 😋.

On 6/22/2021 at 10:05 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

a chiller is an absolute must for these setups

Indeed, and I knew that going in. I was trying to piggyback on an existing cooling cellar to keep the water temperature, but the setup failed due to space and pressurization issues with the holding tank. I did purchase a chiller, so I am poorer but happy. 🙃

We use Eschmeyer so if you haven't picked one of those up, I would recommend. Entitled Pacific Coast Fishes I believe. 

Thank you for the recommendation. I will look into picking one up. I have just been using the internet for identification.

Also what capture methods are you using? I am just curious I am not going to sick the marine police on you 😋.

I just go out the backyard and get in the water with a net. I have been mostly observing but every now and then I bring a new critter home if I have space for it and it looks like I will keep them happy. I used to dive but for health reasons I can't SCUBA any more, so I was snorkeling but my dry suit now has a nasty leak, so I am not sure I will replace it. I have friends who dive, but I will most likely continue to collect intertidal life until I know the tank is steady, then will see.

I am trying to be responsible, and aware of what not to touch. As a diver, it becomes second nature to protect the marine life. 🙂

The water has been warmer, which means dirty and poor visibility, so I am now using the time to finish the tank and watch the seasonal cycles of the area. I am quite happy with the test runs of the filter and skimmer but have yet to see them perform in SW.

Also, I am still debating as to whether I go photosynthetic or not. I love the look of macros, but can see doing without them and focusing on rocks and anemones. There is so much fun stuff to consider!

Whereabouts PNW are you if you do not mind me asking?🙂

• Like 2

Of course! Also wow am I jealous that you have the coastline in the backyard, I am just a 0.5 mile hike down to the beach, but still. 

I figured you had been using some setup to keep the water cold, but a standalone chiller just blows the competition out of the water. You will be happy with your purchase, even though I agree they are a size able dent in the wallet area. 

I am located in the Seattle area, although my job had me all over the Pacific coastline from Redding, CA to the Aleutians to the Russian coast.

When I was younger I had always wanted to create a setup like yours so I hope you don't mind me living vicariously through you. The youtube videos help.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 11:10 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Also wow am I jealous that you have the coastline in the backyard, I am just a 0.5 mile hike down to the beach, but still. 

We lucked out when we bought this house. It is not waterfront, but next to a waterfront park, and because the lot lines are weird, we can actually just walk to the water 50' from our backyard.

When I was younger I had always wanted to create a setup like yours so I hope you don't mind me living vicariously through you. The youtube videos help.

Please do, I love that this can be shared. Feedback is welcome, so if you see me do anything stupid, please tell! 🙃

I am located in the Seattle area, although my job had me all over the Pacific coastline from Redding, CA to the Aleutians to the Russian coast.

Fun! I am in BI. We are very lucky to have so much water around us, the Seattle area is a very beautiful part of the world!

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 2:10 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I was hoping that would happen!  😁

Well, it did! Now you can sleep better.🙃 I find it funny that @Biotope Biologist is into cars when I am the worst Italian who doesn't like to cook or care about driving, even though grandfather used to work for Alfa Romeo before he had to leave for WWI.

I will take a Moon snail over a car, anytime!

PXL_20210624_171730733.jpg.63bad870865d74bdd8a01a90605ee090.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/25/2021 at 5:27 PM, Patrick_G said:

I bet this group would love to see some Moon Snail pics! They always put a smile on my face! 

They are some of the coolest gifts from the ocean around here. When my kids were little it was a must to go check their nests every year! 😃

I'll try to get pics but temps are going to be nasty for the next few days!

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 6:38 PM, eatyourpeas said:

They are some of the coolest gifts from the ocean around here. When my kids were little it was a must to go check their nests every year! 😃

I'll try to get pics but temps are going to be nasty for the next few days!

I think I’m lucky to be out of town! 

On 6/25/2021 at 7:00 PM, eatyourpeas said:

The tank is done! Now, time to dream of critters! The little stand-ins are so I can get a sense of scale for what size critters should be my limit. Filter in place, chiller going in tomorrow.

Wow, that's gorgeous!  It really turned out very nice.  I'm so impressed you build that yourself.  That's the first tank you've ever built right?

Canisters?  Have you given up on your v-sump?

On 6/26/2021 at 6:23 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Wow, that's gorgeous!  It really turned out very nice.  I'm so impressed you build that yourself.  That's the first tank you've ever built right?

Canisters?  Have you given up on your v-sump?

Thanks! First tank of any sort, yes. I am happy with it, even though it is not perfect. 

V-Sump is nicely tucked behind the wall so you do not see anything. I will post pictures of the “machine room” once the chiller is installed and all systems up and running. The idea is to only see the tank.

On 6/26/2021 at 8:28 AM, eatyourpeas said:

I will post pictures of the “machine room”

That makes this all the more awesome!  A machine room for a tank.  Ha, ha, ha!  The belly of the beast.  I don't know why I like the operations side of aquariums so much.  But I do!

On 6/26/2021 at 8:28 AM, eatyourpeas said:

The idea is to only see the tank.

That's what I strive for in my DT as well.  Now on my fish rack...  Whole different story.  Ugly utility. 

Speaking of ugly, an ugly update:

V-Sump (a.k.a. R2V2) and chiller in place. Just before getting the final position for the drywall hole, did one more check on the tank and the level is off. So, taking the setup apart to shimmy the cabinet and compensate for the height difference. It is going against a load bearing wall, but the floor slopes a bit away from it. Sigh! 🙄

PXL_20210630_001813815.jpg.76f828d9c039857ee84e033717ad8f2b.jpg

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1