A new little bit joined the tank this evening: a Sea gooseberry (Pleurobrachia bachei). Although very shy, it appears he is already the talk of the town.

Edited to update the video. He put on a show of lights!

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 3

There are so many great salt water fish out there!  I sometimes feel like people get stuck into a rut of what an aquarium "should" be and what an aquarium fish should be.  This project is such a wonderful exploration out side our little glass (or acrylic) boxes!

As I too begin to think about making a more diverse aquarium community have you found predation to be an issue?  Might this flounder eat your previously added shrimp?  How are the amphipods doing with the new predators?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OnlyGenusCaps said:

As I too begin to think about making a more diverse aquarium community have you found predation to be an issue?  Might this flounder eat your previously added shrimp?  How are the amphipods doing with the new predators?

That has been the most fascinating lesson of all! It has given me a great window into predation in the real world at a small scale.

So far, since February, everyone is still in there except the two little crabs and the krill. I found molts from the Grainyhand crabs but have not seen them, so am assuming they were eaten by another critter. The hermies are there and get into territorial scuffs every now and then. Amphipods probably get eaten but reproduce so fast that their population is still at very healthy levels. Nobody seems to bother the snails, although I am sure when the time comes, a hermit my evict someone to occupy the new dwelling. Tiberius goes after krill and copepods and is very protective of his sponge. CoCo is still figuring the tank out. The jellies did not make it either, they became food as well.

I could (and do) watch this tank for hours! 😉

• Thanks 1

Two days of 80+ degrees did the little tank in. I was not able to maintain a stable temperature through the hot days, the internal water temperature reached 80F and I could see the critters were starved for oxygen. By the time I realized what was going on, it was too late. I lost both the CO Sole and the Tidepool sculpin. The crabs are really mad, and the snails are running for their life to the top of the tank.

In a desperate attempt to save the ones left, I added a makeshift skimmer so that I could bring in some oxygen and increased the water agitation.  If by tomorrow it does not look better (the macro is a good marker) I will tear the tank down and return the survivors to the ocean.

This means I will not have an observation tank until I finish the big one, where things will be setup properly (hopefully) and there will be a way to keep the water to the right temperature.

This has been a humbling lesson, for sure. I am trying to not feel completely defeated as it has been a week of losses in other tanks. Will reassess after a few days... 😞

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, eatyourpeas said:

Two days of 80+ degrees did the little tank in. I was not able to maintain a stable temperature through the hot days, the internal water temperature reached 80F and I could see the critters were starved for oxygen. By the time I realized what was going on, it was too late. I lost both the CO Sole and the Tidepool sculpin. The crabs are really mad, and the snails are running for their life to the top of the tank.

I'm so sorry for your losses!  But, it is interesting that the O2 saturation might have been the issue.  I wouldn't have expected that necessarily despite knowing the relationship between O2 solubility and temperature.  A learning experience for sure!

When this pandemic started, I wanted to keep dart frogs again.  I even started getting materials together.  Sadly, it became apparent as summer hit that living in a house without central A/C meant I simply couldn't keep the temperatures down to keep the frogs happy.  I had to abandon that.  But, that has lead me to revitalize my aquarium efforts.  Which led me here.  In the end I think I am going to be happier with the aquariums than I would have been trying to keep darts again. 

I know you have great plans in place to do this biotope properly.  I suspect this is an unfortunate bump in the road.  I imagine with a few projects I have in the works there are some coming my way too.  🤔

2 minutes ago, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I wouldn't have expected that necessarily despite knowing the relationship between O2 solubility and temperature.

It is definitely speculative on my part, but looking at the makeshift setup and how the critters were behaving, it points to that as a possibility. I am mostly sad that they died, and that I did not act on my instinct to correct the problem earlier.

6 minutes ago, OnlyGenusCaps said:

When this pandemic started, I wanted to keep dart frogs again.  I even started getting materials together.  Sadly, it became apparent as summer hit that living in a house without central A/C meant I simply couldn't keep the temperatures down to keep the frogs happy.  I had to abandon that.  But, that has lead me to revitalize my aquarium efforts.  Which led me here.  In the end I think I am going to be happier with the aquariums than I would have been trying to keep darts again. 

I was truly hoping to have the big tank up and running earlier, so I knew I was lucky to have the outside temperatures work in my favor, until the last two days, that is. Central A/C is not common in houses in the PNW, at least not the older ones. A fan is our idea of keeping cool. So, you had a more responsible approach to your situation and I wish the timing had worked out a little better on my end. Good lessons learned, and will definitely be a bit more cautious moving forward.

Thank you so much for the kind words. 🙂

• Like 1

The addition of a skimmer has brought the benefit of oxygenation! Tank survivors are active and the water parameters look great. I still need to assess whether investing in an oxygen meter is worth the money.

Tank temperature is still high at 74F but with the added oxygen it appears to be fine for these intertidal critters. Still, I will add no more until it is time for the big tank. 🙂

• Love 1

As I was doing a WC on the little tank today, I discovered the two Grainyhand crabs are still there, so they did not die from the last tank bad event! And I watched one of the hermits grab an amphipod in mid swim and eat it for dinner! Crustaceans are so cool! 🤪

• Like 2