On 7/1/2021 at 12:28 PM, eatyourpeas said:

V-Sump (a.k.a. R2V2) and chiller in place.

You are correct.  Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.  I think that's a beautiful system you have there!

On 7/1/2021 at 12:28 PM, eatyourpeas said:

It is going against a load bearing wall, but the floor slopes a bit away from it. Sigh!

Sorry to hear that!  I get it.  It's frustrating when you think you are so close, and then an unexpected bump arises to slow your progress.  But, I've adopted the approach that doing it right (whatever that means?!) should result in better results and less work in the end.  I'm consistently proven wrong on that, but I hold to the idea anyhow.  🤪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2021 at 10:55 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I'm consistently proven wrong on that, but I hold to the idea anyhow. 

I'd like to believe that is the right approach to everything, I am just not sure about how many delays are on the schedule. 🙃

On 7/1/2021 at 11:29 AM, tuculover said:

So awesome, I've wanted to do the same for my first sw tank. I'll be following your progress, good luck! 

Thanks! It has been a fun process so far. 🙂 This is also my first SW tank.

• Like 1

How exciting!  That's a great start.  I love how hidden the filtration is!  With the cabinet doors open below, it reminds me of the end of a magic trick - "and now the filter has... Disappeared!".  I'm looking forward to seeing the macro algae in there again like you had on the small tank.  Makes me think I need some sußbwassertang in my P-Salt tank.  Maybe I need a clam too...  Probably once more established. 

• Like 1

Thank you @OnlyGenusCaps and @Patrick_G!

Earlier I went to see who/what was around and there were so many crabs and sculpins! I had to resist the temptation to bring some home because I really want to be mindful of the critters that will share the tank. I fear Lorenzo may get challenged in territorial battles with other crabs, and the Tidepool sculpin is so awesome but I want to have more rocks before bringing one in. A little bit at a time, as this is a game of patience indeed. 🙃

At one point I was surrounded by a school of herring! So much fun!

• Love 1

A day of adjustments!

R2V2 had to lose his hat. The submerged pump was generating too much heat and that was causing the chiller to turn on every 7 minutes! No hat has been enough to change that time interval to 30 minutes. Love thermodynamics! This means monitoring evaporation, but I can deal with replacing lost water a lot easier than overworking the chiller.

Parameters in tank are pretty perfect! Of course, I cheated and brought in a cycled environment, so critters are having a holiday from predation and Fermat the clam seems to just be soaking in the plankton and yummies. Lorenzo rearranged everything and made a den under The Collective (rock with barnacles), as they happily feed on plankton. The amphipods are as neurotic as ever, but seemed happy to have found some macro to perch themselves on.

Another day in the Little Sound. 🙂

• Like 2

After more tweaks including flow, I now have the following results:

- Ambient temp.: 78F

- Target tank temp.: 58F

- Chiller time intervals: 1:30

- Skimmer drains into R2V2, so there is no need to worry about skimmate overflow. 

- Also, there seems to be no need for a powerhead since the current flow creates a beautiful current with no dead spots as well as surface agitation.

Woot! 🤪

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/4/2021 at 3:32 PM, Patrick_G said:

Have you been able to visit the Salish Sea aquarium in Sidney BC? It’s one of my favorite stops on Vancouver Island. 

Is the border open? I have been wanting to go to BC but have not been able due to COVID 😷.

I have been very fortunate to be able to go to Seattle Aquarium every week, though. 😃

• Like 1

Temperature probes have been installed. Now I can monitor temps and also track how often the chiller gets triggered via the Raspberry Pi. Next to do is the overflow shutoff (just need to write the app, already have the limit switch).

InkedScreenshot_20210705-123505_LI.jpg.96e4de9b2009867b741d1d7a73bb24c6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I know I said I would wait a couple of weeks, but went out today and could not resist. We have new critters and it is a party in the tank!

Even Lorenzo came out to check on everyone. The clam, well, the clam was being clam...

Kelp crabs (Pugettia producta), Acorn barnacle (Balanus glandulus) riding Grainyhand hermit crab (Pagurus granosimanus) and happily waving at everyone, Aggregating anemone (Anthopleura elegantissima), and last but not least, a Lion's mane (Cyanea capillata) who wanted to come home but couldn't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 4

A fun day in the tank. The crabs are messy! The crabs are very messy! The crabs are extremely messy! They have gone for the barnacles in earnest, as well as the macros. Bit of barnacle flying all over!

But, the nems are happy after some food:

PXL_20210708_165925324.jpg.ea9908f922fe1ba9b2c218bc08e0d00e.jpg

And I may be lucky enough to have some Hildebrandia (don't know which species yet, but it may be H. rubra).

PXL_20210708_165955526.jpg.09c092c4b0939bd8352e4eefc8688e4c.jpg

• Like 2