Cleaning planted tank

I have a 20 gallon tank that is heavily planted. Do I still need to vacuum the gravel? Right now I try to do it every time I do a water change which is about every week, sometimes two weeks apart. It's getting harder and harder to do so as the plants fill in more and more of the space, and I add new plants that are not yet established and would be uprooted by vacuuming. I have rock in the center where my corys spend a great deal of their time. Now I mainly just remove the rocks and vacuum where they were sitting. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Elizabeth Power said:

I have a 20 gallon tank that is heavily planted. Do I still need to vacuum the gravel? Right now I try to do it every time I do a water change which is about every week, sometimes two weeks apart. It's getting harder and harder to do so as the plants fill in more and more of the space, and I add new plants that are not yet established and would be uprooted by vacuuming. I have rock in the center where my corys spend a great deal of their time. Now I mainly just remove the rocks and vacuum where they were sitting. 

This can be a hotly debated question. I remember another media space where my answer to this same question was "yes" and where another aquarist's was adamantly "no." It never actually came to a crossing of swords . . . but it devolved a bit into the immature.

All I'll say is this: We used to gravel vac faithfully as you describe. And, after time, like you, it got to be a hassle. So now, I gravel vac where I can, only every other water change. As long as fish are not _overfed_ then what's building up mainly is mulm. I'm not persuaded that mulm is all that bad. Where it's unsightly, there I vac. Otherwise, I let the plants and micro life do their thing. 

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 6

I actually used to gravel vacuum every chance I got but as I started to get into aquascaping, I found it harder and harder to actually gravel vac, so I just stopped, I found that my plants actually grow much MUCH better with the mulm and detritus. My crypts and amazon sword, depsite not having any fertilizer or aquasoil grew like crazy. I know that gravel vaccing can really help to get aeration down to the roots, but I have found that gravel vaccing just isn't really necessary for the plants or fish.

• Like 3