help me understand slang

OnlyGenusCaps

So, I have seen several people post here calling folks "nerms".  In my experience this is not a term one would want to be called, ever.  Indeed, most would describe it as inflammatory.  However, here it all seems friendly in context.  So, can someone tell me what this term means in this forum as it is used here?  Thanks!

• Haha 1

Hi!  I had the same reaction when I first started reading it 🙂  Then I found the explanations!  It's something that came up one of Cory's livestreams where he combined normal and nerd to describe fish keepers who are "normal" in everyday life and then become crazy nerds (in a friendly, not a derogatory sort of a way) when it comes to fish.  It's basically been adapted to apply to most people who hang out on the forum/livestreams/members, etc..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Someone should get over to Urban Dictionary and make it official, and aquarium specific!  Then post about it on the forum so we can all up-vote it.  The top on currently only has 21 votes as of today.  We could make this the official definition of the term.  Plus, then people could just link to that when they ask questions like I did.  Just a thought.

I just tried to do so with this definition:

"A normal or typical person who completely nerds out when it comes to aquariums or fishkeeping.  Coined by Cory McElroy of Aquarium Co-Op in a live stream on YouTube on 19 October 2020.  The term has rapidly spread in usage across the aquarium hobby and is now frequently encountered in a number of aquatic hobby contexts."

Unfortunately, you have to log in with another type of account like FB, which I don't have.  But someone with the right sort of social media account could...  Just say'n.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CalmedByFish said:

This led me to googling "nerm." Oh my. I had no idea. 

Oh, don't google it!  At least not until it is fixed. 😉

5 minutes ago, CalmedByFish said:

@OnlyGenusCaps, this would probably be worth talking to an admin about. Maybe one of them could get an official new definition onto Urban Dictionary - or some similar site. It does need to be available to find. 

I don't think the admins here have any control over it.  The idea of Urban Dictionary is that absolutely anyone can add a slang term.  There is nothing "official" about any of the definitions there.  It's just a popularity contest.  Although, it is a bit of a go to for slang, so carries the weight of popularity.

2 hours ago, OnlyGenusCaps said:

A normal or typical person who completely nerds out when it comes to aquariums or fishkeeping.  Coined by Cory McElroy of Aquarium Co-Op in a live stream on YouTube on 19 October 2020.  The term has rapidly spread in usage across the aquarium hobby and is now frequently encountered in a number of aquatic hobby contexts.

I just submitted the definition. I guess it needs to be reviewed before becoming public? But then everyone can go vote it up!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Okay I think it’s up? Can someone test this link?

You still can’t find it by searching for “nerm” but under my account it says it’s published. Not sure if other people can access my account page.

https://my.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=Hobbit22

And it probably goes without saying, but don’t visit Urban Dictionary unless you’re prepared to read some pretty dirty/crude stuff. It is not a family friendly site. 😛

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I searched for "nerm" on UD.  It's on there, definition number 5 currently and has 3 votes already.  I think we can do better! 

You are a hero @Hobbit!  Plus I've bookmarked your link above, and now whenever asked I, or anyone here, can just link to the page rather than a 2 hour live stream.  Easier to find that way. 

I don't know why I am so excited about this, nor why I find it so funny.  But I am enjoying it thoroughly!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Hobbit said:

@TheDukeAnumber1 I know you’re a meme lord—are you also a gif lord?

ETA: thanks for spreading the word @Cory!

Meme lord 😂.... ty.

I have adopted Cory's strategy of under promise and over deliver. I have no graphic media credentials, fancy software, or extensive experience in the matter... but I would give it the old college try :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

Meme lord 😂.... ty.

I have adopted Cory's strategy of under promise and over deliver. I have no graphic media credentials, fancy software, or extensive experience in the matter... but I would give it the old college try 😛

Duke, you're being very coy about your A+ meme/gif capabilities! (Or are you trying to be koi?) 😀

• Haha 2