What tankmates can live with my betta fish?

What tankmates are good for my veiltail male betta fish in a 5.5 gallon tank?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What shrimp?

• No shrimp is best, something else
    • Ghost Shrimp
    • Amano Shrimp
    • Cherry Shrimp
  2. 2. What snail or fish?

• Endler's Livebearers
    • Ember Tetras
    • Neon tetras
    • Mystery Snail
    • Kuhli Loaches
    • Nerite Snail
    • Something else

I wouldnt do Kuhli loaches in only a 5 gallon.

Shrimp, maybe not the best option all though ghost shrimp isn't a bad idea. It really depends on the betta.

Other then the Kuhli Loaches all of the fish/ snails you had in your poll are fine.

@Betsy has some nirite snails with her betta. And I had mystery snails with mine. If you want multiple snails, nerites are the way to go as they only breed in brackish water (mix between freshwater and saltwater). The Mystery Snails WILL breed. Nertites will be more of an algae eater, but mystery snails not so much.

I want to eventually do Pygmy Corys, Ember Tetras, Neon Tetras, Celestrial Pearl Danio, Chilli Rasbora with my betta sometime. 

Edited by JamesB
  • Like 2

Yup, like @JamesB says, everything other than Kuhli loaches could work. Whichever one you choose depends on what you want them for, what you like, and what you're willing to take care of.

Remember, your betta doesn't have to be with anything! He can be perfectly happy living on his own in a planted 5 gallon aquarium, especially if you interact with him and don't overfeed him. Anything you put in there with him will be more because you like it and want it.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, JamesB said:

@Betsy has some nirite snails with her betta. And mystery snails with mine.

I looooove my nerites!!!

I've also tried shrimp...I think a bigger shrimp would be preferable.  So, maybe Amanos would be best?  I've got my school Betta (Spritz) in with my Short Nose Algae Eaters...and, I thiiiink he hasn't eaten any.  But, he definitely stresses them out!

• Like 4

I really like my habrosus cories (tiny like pygmies) with my betta.  I just think they are so fun to watch and they're very small.  That said, it might be pushing it a bit with a 5 gallon.  I have mine with neons in a 20.

Edited by KaitieG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jane Oh said:

What tankmates can live with my male veiltail betta in a 5.5 gallon tank?

I have had nerites and mystery snails in with a betta in a 5 gallon tank and they worked out fine. I wouldn't do kuhli loaches, as they will get a little too big and prefer living in groups. Same goes for Corydoras. If you are going to do shrimp, go with something bigger like Amanos or ghost shrimp.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jane Oh said:

Okay, so what fish should/can I do for my betta fish in 5.5 gal tank?
If I do shrimp:
Amano Shrimp
Ghost Shrimp

If I do snails:
Nerite Snails

If I do fish:
. . .

I personally wouldn't do fish in a 5 gallon with a betta fish. But you could probably do both an Amano shrimp and a nerite snail together with the betta.

• Like 2

Just now, Jane Oh said:

Okay, what about ghost shrimp? What is the most significant difference between ghost and amano?

Ghost shrimp are carnivorous while Amano shrimp are primarily algae eaters. Either species will do fine in your aquarium, though ghost shrimp might reproduce if you get several.

1 minute ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

Can I put in Corydoras?

I personally would not do Corydoras in a 5 gallon tank (even the dwarf species), as they prefer larger groups and need good swimming space. I feel that the tank would be a little overstocked or crowded if there is a betta as well as school of cory catfish. There is also the chance that the betta might attack the catfish (if he is aggressive). Lastly, your tank has gravel, and in my experience, Corydoras prefer sand, although for pygmy cories it does not matter as much (they don't root around a lot in the substrate). Of course, there are many people who have done Corydoras and bettas in a 5 gallon and had success with it, so in the end it is your decision on whether or not you think Corydoras are suited for your aquarium. Remember to also check your water parameters to make sure you can house more fish though.

Just now, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

My water parameters SO FAR are 7.5 ph, no ammonia, no nitrites, no nitrates. With sponge filter and heater.

Then you might be able to full it off. Species I would recommend are the pygmy cory (Corydoras pygmaeus) and the dwarf venezuelan cory (Corydoras habrosus).

• Like 1