What tankmates can live with my betta fish?

What tankmates are good for my veiltail male betta fish in a 5.5 gallon tank?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What shrimp?

• No shrimp is best, something else
    • Ghost Shrimp
    • Amano Shrimp
    • Cherry Shrimp
  2. 2. What snail or fish?

• Endler's Livebearers
    • Ember Tetras
    • Neon tetras
    • Mystery Snail
    • Kuhli Loaches
    • Nerite Snail
    • Something else

Just now, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

What fish in a 5.5 gallon tank would YOU do with a betta? If you were given a choice?

Honestly, now that I consider it, I would do a school of 5 pygmy cories like you are considering. Thinking about it again, they would actually work pretty well in your tank, provided that they have some hiding spots.

59 minutes ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

This is my tank:1146259630_Aurorafulltank1.JPG.02fb8dc2e6eaa83e125c29fadb906bd9.JPG
So I don't know if its planted well, I'm pretty sure its not heavily planted.

Yeah I think a group of pygmy cories would work out fine. If you really wanted a couple more hiding spots, just add some driftwood or some rocks. The coconut hut that Aquarium Co-Op sells would also work great.

• Like 1

How many pygmy cories should be the right amount? Can I place different species of corydoras in a 5.5 gal tank? Panda Cory, Dwarf Cory, and Pygmy Cory? Can they be with shrimp and/or snails too?

I wouldn't do panda cories, as they get a little too big to house a school in a 5.5 gallon.

I would do five or six pygmy cories/dwarf cories in the tank. Although they are snail/shrimp safe, there is limited space and bioload for a 5.5 gallon tank. So I would only do the cories and maybe one nerite snail OR amano shrimp.

can I do 2 pygmy cories and 2 dwarf cories and a nerite snail?

It is best not to mix and match Corydoras species. Although they are perfectly fine together, they require same species schools to thrive. So I would only do 5 or 6 of only one species.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

Is it okay with 4 dwarf corydoras and 1 snail and 1 shrimp or should I only do one snail/shrimp? If so, what would be the best match? a snail or shrimp?

I would personally do the pygmy corydoras and a nerite snail

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

Is it okay with 4 dwarf corydoras and 1 snail and 1 shrimp or should I only do one snail/shrimp? If so, what would be the best match? a snail or shrimp?

Yes that would work. I'd say a nerite snail is the best match, but both would certainly work.

What do I have to do with my fish poop problem? Do I have to get tweezer out every time? 

No the poop will naturally break down and will serve as fertilizer for the plants. It can also be removed when you water change (sucked up by the siphon). Shrimp and snails will also eat it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

Will the poop increase ammonia? I don't have a siphon. What about the bacteria on the filter?

Poop will increase ammonia. Thankfully, bacteria in the filter will consume ammonia and nitrites. Plants and water changes will get rid of nitrates. You will have to get a siphon to perform water changes, as it is very hard to maintain a healthy ecosystem without either water changes or a ton of plants.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

What about the 1 inch per gallon rule? I have a 5.5 gallon tank.

The one inch per gallon rule only applies very rarely. It is too generalized of a rule, and often does not work. This rule allows you could to an oscar in a 12 gallon tank. On the other end of the spectrum, it would mean only 50 micro-rasboras in a 50 gallon tank, and so on. As long as you have sufficient filtration and space to swim, you will probably do fine. But if you really wanted to play it safe (I would do this as well), add a ton more plants into the tank to help with nitrates. This would help a lot.

What about if my budget is low? I'm a teen, so I don't have a job...

Haha I run into this same problem too. I would just add in the nerite snail for now, and then when you slowly build up your collection of plants, add in the cories. That water lettuce you mentioned earlier will quickly spread and help with nitrates as well. Another alternative would be another nano sponge filter, which would hold more beneficial bacteria should you need it when you get the cories as well. Of course, you always have the option of a pothos plant, which is a semi-aquatic plant (grown with roots in the water, hangs like a vine) which filters out a ton of nitrates. It is fairly cheap and common too. Here's a video Cory made on it:

What plants would be good for the cories instead of sponge filters? Do I need any hiding places like coconut huts?

Both sponge filters and plants are great for cories. I found that my pygmy cories love spending time under their favorite sponge filter. Coconut huts are not necessary, but are always welcome. Honestly, if you are on a budget, I would just stick to what you have.

I made a budget of 40 dollars and the rest of my money I am saving up. What would be good?

Maybe just the fish you plan on getting, and then either 1) a pothos plant (around $8?) or 2) another nano sponge filter ($5 I think). Do you have a filter currently in the tank? Also, do you have that siphon hose yet (costs around $10).