Accidental Breeding of Otocinclus!

xXInkedPhoenixX

@Hobbit thanks for that. I think I might look for bowls or something for "human consumption" that sounds a little easier. @Fish Folk really that's my concern with Otos. A new grow out tank isn't going to have much for algae. Granted I am feeding the Hikari Algae Wafers and they seem to be doing fine, but for an example yesterday I changed out the breeder box to a bigger one- the small one has obvious growth on the sides since it's been in the tank for a month. I found one of my little ones deceased today though I placed some rocks covered in algae and some crushed wafer. This could have just been a natural casualty but it does make me wonder since the events were close together if they are related. I have my current quarantine tank that has a few items in it with growth, and of course I can switch out rocks from the tank they came from every day if I have to, and continue with Hikari- but since Otos are often seen grazing on the sides of tanks it makes me worry that I will have potentially significant losses. 

Just thought I'd update. No losses, still growing. Picking up the new 10 gallon for grow out today. AND, found another baby! Since this one is so little they were put in the small breeder box I was previously keeping the others in.

Resized_20210404_112943.jpg

Resized_20210404_112829(1).jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Typos are lame
  • Like 4

Small update for my Otos. I am thinking we're close to the time where they need to go into a grow out tank. Why? I found 5 more translucent babies this morning 😮 so they are now in the original small breeder box. I set up a 10 gallon today. Those who have bred and have done this I ask advice down below but the set up so far:

3 new plants (2 are attached to a small piece of driftwood) and

1- three year old Marimo from my quarantine tank (nobody has been in there for a long while but my mystery snails when I got them and everybody who has been in it is still with me). 

Pagoda also pilfered from quarantine tank since it has some growth on it. 

NEW sponge filter. 

I'm waiting on: a light but using a low level one right now, as well as a dedicated thermometer both coming by a week from Tuesday, along with an extra filter (air driven but can put media in it). Also another planter in which I think I'll put 3 Aponogeton or similar since they're fast growing.

Here's my question: Besides treating the water. I've used what was left of my FritzZyme (approx 1/4 cup) and started Seachem Stability. I want to do my best to get NO losses if at all possible as they are all looking healthy, eating, happy- my only concern is I don't have a lot of "old" stuff in there- 21 days ago I started my 2nd 20 gallon and took the sponge filter from my original (where the Otos are breeding) and put it in that tank. SHOULD I take either the 21 day old from the original tank and replace with the one I just put in the grow out OR should I take the orignal filter I put in my 21 day old tank (with no permanent residents yet but for plants) and put it in the grow out OR should I just stop messing with stuff and go with it? 

Resized_20210405_140131.jpg

...to add a pic
  • Like 2

Today I switched the filter from my new tank that was taken from my original tank 21 days ago and put it in the grow out. I then put the large breeder box with the 30 some odd Otos in it- into their new grow out tank but I haven't emptied the breeder yet- going to keep an eye on them for a while then I will release the hounds so to speak later in the afternoon. I then removed the smaller breeder I had in my new tank (which should get new residents later today) and put it back in with the parent tank until they grow enough to put in the grow out with the others. (yes I didn't paint the back of my grow out, since it's on my kitchen counter I wanted a 360 view, but I did paint the bottom)

There will soon be more babies. I've not seen it anywhere on the internet about them, but it appears my mother Otocinclus is watching over her eggs- it isn't typical behavior for her to be where she is as most of my Otos hang out by the sponge filter the majority of the day. I have spotted where at least she has been putting her eggs. If the Mystery snails would eat them she's put them in a perfect spot as this Sword plant is protected by a drift twig canopy they can't easily navigate. 

Resized_20210406_113518.jpg

Resized_20210406_101330.jpg

Resized_20210406_113308.jpg

• Like 3

@CT_ I hope she does take at least a little bit of a break! But now that she has 30+ out of the house she may start up full blast again. I have 5 new, I've tried to catch 2 others, they may still be in the tank somewhere but I always expect to lose a few to my Harlequins when they're really small. They don't lay that many eggs, and I don't know how many of them are. 

• Like 1

Well, the oldest of the babies continue to thrive in their new 10 gallon Romper Room. Without a heater it runs at 77 at night to 78 during the peak of the day. Still eating Hikari Algae Wafers. Haven't found any loses. 

Meanwhile my mother Oto watches over her eggs, day and night while the other Otos are in the far corner diagonal from her. I have caught I believe 7 newer babies and have seen at least 3-4 others I've yet to catch or be eaten by the Harlequins. 

Resized_20210410_102329.jpg

Resized_20210410_102816.jpg

• Like 1

@Isaac M I've sadly witnessed a couple of losing Oto babies, but once they get a bit past the transparent stage they seem to be too big for their (Rasboras) mouths. I try to scoop them up before they start coloring up- but they are VERY hard to spot/catch, though I'm getting pretty good at the catching part. 

to clarify