Accidental Breeding of Otocinclus!

xXInkedPhoenixX

Hi all, new here and I tried to find a similar post so forgive me for starting a new one if there was a more appropriate place to be- posted on the introductory page a bit about what I have as far as tanks/equip/fish etc. When I started my 20 gallon I just wanted a peaceful community tank with fish that had similar parameter needs of course and I didn't want reproduction, so I avoided live bearers and "easy breeders". I ended up with 10 Harlequin Rasboras and 7 Otocinclus. Well about 6 months into my endeavor I now have 25 baby catfish and counting. I know some have fallen prey to the Rasboras which is ok, that's nature, but I've managed to contain the 25+ in a floating breeder box (boy am I glad I got that for "back up" plans). I seem to catch 1 or 2 daily in varying stages of develoment. Of all the hours and hours of research I did I didn't look into this because I never thought I'd be able to breed what is sometimes called on the internet an "intermediate level" breeder: now what?! I started another 20 gallon which I plan to likely house my Rasboras and I'll up the number of Otos in my well established algae covered tank where they bred- I have 1 friend who also keeps fish and she's taking a half dozen. This isn't likely to stop happening so can anyone give me ideas on how to rehome fish? Thank you in advance for your ideas!

• Like 14
  • Love 3

Otos are one of those fish that the more you try to breed them the harder it seems to be. When you're not trying they suddenly spawn like oversexed rabbits. A local fish store might be more than willing to take them off your hands. They're a fairly high demand fish with a limited supply.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I agree with @gardenman—I think most local fish stores would be thrilled to take them. Depending on where you live, you could probably also post on Craigslist and have people come to you to get them. Everyone wants otos but they’re hard to find! Much congratulations to you!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I thank you all for responding and I appreciate the ideas. I had a thought that a LFS might take them, what's that usually like? Any of you have experience with that? Do they trade or buy or both?  I'm not part of any major social media (FB, Twitter, Instagram, all no) but CL is an option, especially if they keep coming as I suspect they will. 

@gardenman not only was I NOT trying, I didn't WANT them to! Ha! They are stupid cute though. When I saw the first transluscent Oto stuck to the glass I thought I was seeing a bug in my tank but when I realized what it was I could *not* believe it - I'll admit to giggling like a madperson and maybe squeezed out a happy tear they were so stinkin cute. @Hobbit and @Maggie it's good to have concensus that LFS is a good place to start. I live in a pretty large city and have a few LFS I can try, I'm hoping the place I got them from would be interested, because the first set I got from a different LFS all died within days but for one, the six I got from the 2nd LFS all survived.

@CT_ Like I mentioned I wasn't trying to get my Otos to reproduce so I didn't feed them anything special so as not to encourage them- my tank has plenty of algae and I literally have a small fish-shaped "fish bowl" in the tank that I put a piece of Hikari Algae Wafer and a couple of small pieces of Xtreme Cat Scraper in every other day or so and I can say that I've spotted some of the smalllest fry in the bowl. 6 of the adult Otos I have when in quarantine ate Hikari Wafers (due to lack of algae in my quarantine tank) so I continued to put it in my established tank in case they got picky, but were never interested in the Xtreme Cat Scrapers- my Snails love them though- seek them out all the time.  I chose to do a low tech tank, so I don't run a heater (today's temp was 76.3),  run full spec lights on a timer and a dimmer switch, PH is a steady 7.6, Allkalinity at 3 or 53.7 GH at 125.3, all the other readings typically at 0, have a sponge filter rated for a 20 gallon (that the adult Otos ALL hang out at during the day), some driftwood (which I suspect one of my females is laying near), some live plants and some imaginary (what I call fake ones) in for color, the substrate is fairly large pebble river rock with a bit of plant substrate under towards the back of the tank. I do partial water changes every week. My Mystery snails also keep trying to reproduce. My Harlequin Rasboras have made no moves to reproduce but are happy and brightly colored, however now that I've said that I might have to eat my words.....

Resized_20210320_161740.jpg

Resized_20210320_162042.jpg

20210320_1648121.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

I bring honey gourami to a LFS! Whether they’ll take them and what they’ll give you for them (if anything) really just depends on the store owner. Sometimes they’ll take them for free but won’t give you anything, sometimes they’ll be okay with trading, and sometimes if you’re lucky they’ll give you a few bucks. The owner of my LFS is so nice and he’ll give me cash, but if possible I’ll trade instead because I know he’s struggling.

Basically, just call them up or go in person, tell them your otos are breeding, and ask if they’re interested in they juveniles. You can assume they’ll want the fish to be past the fry stage (not that there’s an official cutoff) so the fish are stable and sellable almost right away. I would start with the place you got them from—it seems like that store takes good care of their otos.

If you haven’t already, check out the coop’s breeding for profit videos. It won’t all apply to your situation, but there’s great advice in there about how to approach a LFS.

• Like 1

I still can't tell the difference between O. vittatus and O. macrospilus.  I got mine from ACO and Robert says they're O. macrospilus though.  According to one guy on youtube who breeds them the vittatus is the "easier" kind to breed, but there's so little authoritative information on these guys.  Here's one of mine.  I'm hoping for breeding but not holding my breath 🙂

fS8v2N1dUZtgcXFBA67B69QGKJkEPVt5KwucdNQRtUqrKswOGY3YHFW0yEdcvk4bIoTcA2lBTr1EaD-J_vE6o1zzN043H6_PrObeX6nFTpXpj4-nusApy9UVFhIUZZCA6aUMh5raFoBeJNeQSLHuVU11S9gb4TzitboaF6hlnKm0owXOArFXi0Zma62Gvux2zgUF6FwEs6EDhojoNwws60-dfoqbzqS-eeCavKziBD5w76BPbrLHgl6qOInULYTl2R1tdYZ1olK6OX8DW4XkR0aKQmmxYZtq0_KDKQv4rj0h79hf5118qOnQBfRhdcwTIdgIBtnZYMsMPoTm8D6kxCd6kkTEDyWosNVnK61S5Aio8c-P90WZcxeBxEcUA6448poAGKyeWwd_or7P90fMxQNl2wZgeXQTl07dEI6pw02vICWihgEfuyGOMa-wNvmlKqMqTJ7sgEZT4tVEojA2HHoHMlrgGDLFi5DNjbZ8N73X5fkQUs5-ZG_wDZsJ-8gTliBu7FlfZcCJJ77-lYzOreGcBikZmdkwWHNIpc_FC1LK3xIf08JN8i2Dk0eIeilTnjwSWzsu7MAKuy91erKC9kkeSNGmpwersWQmxG502Z-OTZYFFwnQPhxNm-VFaow5mtVHWoEJoYGiVnohGths5BmedK_gq9y4Ny4SQejw5rJcv_Uqh6ACJW_wdLmehy--fBTc-qcvTvVrQZ0O4PCI6O5Ehg=w1606-h1204-no?authuser=0

• Like 1

I tried looking up ottos once - i think there are like 10+ species. I know of my collection i have at least 3 distinct patterns - but i'm a newbie and have no clue if patterns are variation of the same species or different species 😉

Ok fishy friends, I just got back from the LFS about my explosion of Otos. Funny the gentleman behind the counter reacted with quite a bit of shock *he'd* never heard of them breeding "in captivity". Even still they will do a trade of 30% on the price they sell them for which is for me a bit over a dollar a piece at their prices. I have to get them to young adults first though so here's my next question:

I have space for maybe only 1 more 10 gallon aquarium, I could set that up with a sponge filter from one of my running tanks and I'd likely do a bare bottom at least for some time until I figure out how much/often my catfish will be breeding (do they do this ALL the time? -caught another one yesterday- I nave no clue, which could be an argument for just going all out with the tank). I'd have to be extra dilligent about water changes and possibly put a couple of filters on it since there's 30 and counting....

__OR__

I have my 2nd 20 gallon up and running. It's still fairly immature but it started with the sponge filter from the tank my Otos were born in, and I got a good algae crop going, plants are doing good. I suppose I could put them in there and let them grow out as well- though I'd like to have something other than just Otos in there at some point.

Either way they're all being raised on algae wafer so there won't be any shortage of food since they're pretty much trained to eat it. 

Any opinions? I've attached a pic of my newer tank just for reference. 

Resized_20210330_180256.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Changed pic, moved plants
  • Like 1

Aww I love the blue glass! And it sounds like you’ll get a great price for your otos at the LFS.

Honestly you could go either way on the grow-out tank.

Are you thinking of moving the breeding otos to the new tank, or just moving the babies as you catch them?

With my honeys I just move the babies and leave the adults in the main tank. My grow-out tank is a 10 gallon with some fast-growing plants both floating and in pots. That way even though I feed a lot, I don’t have to do a crazy amount of water changes. The plants are in pots because it’s easy to lift them out of the tank when I need to catch the fish.

That’s really my only concern about your 20 gallon—that when it comes time to get the fish out, you’ll have a hard time catching them in all the plants and decor.

• Thanks 1

@Hobbit Exactly what I was thinking in terms of catching the Otos if I were to use my new tank. Would be difficult. I plan on keeping a few for the new tank, just not 30 (I want to try pygmy corys too this time). I guess if THOSE Otos also bred going with a 3rd grow out tank is likely for the best. It is looking like my 3 gallon hospital/quarantine tank will need to move forth from the world. My plan was exactly as you have yours on a 10, just go bare botttom as my 3 gallon is now with some shelter and live plants (now I'd have to add as it is I only have an old moss ball and Anubias Nana on wood). It is much easier for clean up when I do have something in there and I can move the plants in and out depending on what's going in the tank. I think it's time to go to pots like you, at least for this new tank.

All the resident/breeding Otos are going to stay where they are plus a few of their babies, I'm going to keep that tank at 20 fish as it was it was already at 17 not including the snail inhabitants. I have a feeling there are more in there I just don't see them all at one time. Everybody is peeing in the pool, daily water changes have been a must but it's really not that bad. Bought the babies a bigger breeding box today, and had to make some floating airline bumpers because my fat snails kept giving me a heartattack trying to sink their ship. Honestly I'm surprised being almost a month in they don't grow faster. I'm guessing another 30? Maybe 60 days to young adult size? Not a clue. Not a Scooby Doo.

Thanks for your comments about my new tank. I went with the glass (again, but this time more) because I'm using carpeting clover and I only wanted it on one side to create some contrast with the other plants coming in. Figured putting a symbolic river between them would help keep it on its side. 

Resized_20210330_181033.jpg

Resized_20210330_182821.jpg

Resized_20210330_182552.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
wrong pic.
  • Like 1

@Hobbit any tips you can give me for the grow out tank since you've raised fry? Any unforeseen things you wished you knew? I figure I'll pilfer a filter from the running tank (sponge). Get some basic lighting (what do you run on your 10?). Do you use the basic garden terracotta pots from a plant nursery? Do you plug the holes? 

Hmmm tips... honestly it feels very similar to having a normal tank, you just have to keep a closer watch on the water quality. Try to have some fast-growing and floating plants, and think ahead with your scape so it’s not too hard to catch the fry. I bet @Fish Folk and others will have some good tips. They’ve raised many more fry than I have!

For lighting, I just stuck my 10 gallon under some plant lights I already had for starting seeds indoors. None of my lights are fancy. Any light for growing aquarium plants (or land plants!) should be just fine.

One of the pots I use is actually just a ceramic food bowl—meant for human food. 😁 The other is a little glazed pot that a succulent came in. I know terracotta would work too. If you want to have the choice of lifting the pots out, I would definitely plug the holes—otherwise the mulm would whoosh out the bottom! I have one pot filled with Fluval stratum and one filled with half stratum and half oyster shell (for my soft water).

• Like 2