I have an idea and I am looking for guidance as if it is a good idea or not. This will be my 6th tank and I am looking to do something a little bit different.

I have recently gotten a new 60g tank with stand and a large cannister filter. I am curious to the idea of stocking this decent sized tank with a massive amount of nano/micro freshwater fish and ornamental shrimp obviously being heavily planted. Is this a good idea? I haven't really seen any forum posts anywhere about nano fish in anything larger than a 29g tank. 

Stocking Ideas so far: Chili Rasbora, CPD, Kubotai, Ember Tetra, Green Neon Tetra, Black Neon Tetra, WCMM, & Yellow Neocaridina. Should be quite the rainbow effect of colors going on. I am worried about trying Endler's and accidentally getting just one female and being saturated with livebearers. Pygmy Sunfish maybe? Killifish or halfbeaks?

Are there any other ideas or suggestions? I would like to do Scarlett Badis but know that wouldn't end well for the shrimp, I have a lot of really good lfs that can pretty much order anything so any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Keeping nano fish in larger tanks is pretty popular, since you can stock much more of a species together and get better natural schooling behaviors. I've even seen dedicated shrimp tanks that are more than 100 gallons online! Sounds like you have a fun project ahead of you. 

• Like 1

I have a 300 gallon that I have posted about on this forum where the biggest fish is under 6 inches and I have a few cpd in there. It's a super fun tank I would say the average size fish in there is about 2-3 inches most of them are US natives. I really need to update that post lol here is a sneak peak at the tank

6E398A69-52E2-491B-895B-32E4956BF858.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Taylor Blake said:

I have a 300 gallon that I have posted about on this forum where the biggest fish is under 6 inches and I have a few cpd in there. It's a super fun tank I would say the average size fish in there is about 2-3 inches most of them are US natives. I really need to update that post lol here is a sneak peak at the tank

6E398A69-52E2-491B-895B-32E4956BF858.jpeg

Love the hard scrape what a cool tank!