Any other photographers in the forum?

Sal

16 minutes ago, Trish said:

Canon user

5D full frame, 7D MarkII Crop Sensor,  100mm 2.8 Macro  70-200 IS L 2.8.  17-40mm. 85mm1.8   Nifty 50.  Kit lenses

I have learned from reading online and joining forums.

Looking for Mama 2.jpg

My Future matters (1 of 1).jpg

Kody face fix.jpg

Linda Yellow Rose Long 2***********_ copy.jpg

Waterfall Watershed ****** Holmes.jpg

Owl Black and White Holmes.jpg

Parasol Mushroom LR Final ***.jpg

Absolutely Beautiful work @Trish  (I can't leave any more reactions today, lol)  😍

My bag contains a 105 f2.8 macro, 85 f1.4, 50 f1.4, 35 1.8 a 70-150 variable (which i really only use outdoors)

I'd really like to pick up something super wide angle, and a better zoom eventually.  

1 minute ago, Collin said:

Here's more from camping last summer

DSC_0185_2.JPG

DSC_0230_1.JPG

DSC_0232_1.JPG

DSC_0247.JPG

DSC_0393.JPG

DSC_0404.JPG

OOOH!  A Pileated Woodpecker?!  We have a pair that nest behind our house, but I have yet to get a good shot of them!  These are great @Collin The squirrel is too cute!!

20 minutes ago, Sal said:

A few more of my macros of creepy crawlie things...  🙂

Is your last pic of elm beetles? We have a tree that is infested with them. They are an invasive species. Last summer at a single point of time there were probably 500 beetles on our ceiling alone. 

5 minutes ago, FriendlyLoach said:

Is your last pic of elm beetles? We have a tree that is infested with them. They are an invasive species. Last summer at a single point of time there were probably 500 beetles on our ceiling alone. 

YIKES!  Even with how much I like bugs, that would be a no-go for me!  😂

I believe the beetle in my photo is a tenlined june bug, but I am not an expert by any means!

@Sal It is wonderful you can live your passion.

I would like to take portraiture but I'm not comfortable shooting people.   I try street off and on.  This is the most daring I've done.. shot out of the back of our truck window. It was a spur of the moment... my husband thought I was going to shoot in the side mirror haha.  I was a little nervous after, as the bikers followed us for almost an hour without passing. :classic_wacko:  

Bikers B&W.jpg

Conductor.jpg

Little Baby.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Trish said:

@Sal It is wonderful you can live your passion.

I would like to take portraiture but I'm not comfortable shooting people.   I try street off and on.  This is the most daring I've done.. shot out of the back of our truck window. It was a spur of the moment... my husband thought I was going to shoot in the side mirror haha.  I was a little nervous after, as the bikers followed us for almost an hour without passing. :classic_wacko:  

Bikers B&W.jpg

Conductor.jpg

Little Baby.jpg

Shooting people definitely takes practice.  I prefer shooting people in unposed photos where the photos tell a story...  But have done plenty of posed portraiture as well.  As with anything, it gets easier with practice.

Your biker shot is too cool!  My general experience with biker dudes (my Dad is in a Harley club) is that they are all big teddy bears under all that leather.   😂  It definitely feels uncomfortable to shoot in public though, so I totally get that!  And that squishy little baby is soooooooo sweet!  Maternity and newborn photography was ALWAYS my favorite of the portraits I shot.

I love your work!!

I used to do wedding photography and portraits a long time ago right after I graduated from college in Germany, back then we were still shooting 35mm film and I also used to do some large scale with a Hasselblad back then. I learnt how to develop my own black and white, and color film which was a hassle with keeping track of all the temperatures, and expiration dates on the reagents. I graduated with a Masters in Mass Communication with emphasis on Photography.

Wedding photography, and portrait  photography were a lot of fun but what drove me into nature and wildlife photography were some of the people that weren't. I could make scars, and pimples disappear, the occasional hair that was out of place, I could soften female contours, or sharpen male contours with lighting but I couldn't make 200 lbs. extra disappear, or perform cosmetic surgery on someone's nose. I don't relish the memories of some of the conversations I had with people with unrealistic expectations back then. Most memories are pleasant but some of those awkward ones seemed like the dialogue had been pre-written by a stand up comedian.

No mountain goat, moose, or elk has ever argued with me over a bad hair day, I let them choose their own props, and I don't have to worry about all the possible different kinds of artificial lighting at the venue. If I do have to use a flash it's usually with a flash extender and I carry a designated camera for it and I don't need to carry x amount of them outfitted with flash units. I might use an easy carry pop up reflector out of fabric but I don't have to lug lights, umbrellas, backdrops, and stands. I travel lighter and have more fun.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jungle Fan said:

I used to do wedding photography and portraits a long time ago right after I graduated from college in Germany, back then we were still shooting 35mm film and I also used to do some large scale with a Hasselblad back then. I learnt how to develop my own black and white, and color film which was a hassle with keeping track of all the temperatures, and expiration dates on the reagents. I graduated with a Masters in Mass Communication with emphasis on Photography.

Wedding photography, and portrait  photography were a lot of fun but what drove me into nature and wildlife photography were some of the people that weren't. I could make scars, and pimples disappear, the occasional hair that was out of place, I could soften female contours, or sharpen male contours with lighting but I couldn't make 200 lbs. extra disappear, or perform cosmetic surgery on someone's nose. I don't relish the memories of some of the conversations I had with people with unrealistic expectations back then. Most memories are pleasant but some of those awkward ones seemed like the dialogue had been pre-written by a stand up comedian.

No mountain goat, moose, or elk has ever argued with me over a bad hair day, I let them choose their own props, and I don't have to worry about all the possible different kinds of artificial lighting at the venue. If I do have to use a flash it's usually with a flash extender and I carry a designated camera for it and I don't need to carry x amount of them outfitted with flash units. I might use an easy carry pop up reflector out of fabric but I don't have to lug lights, umbrellas, backdrops, and stands. I travel lighter and have more fun.

@Jungle Fan I feel that so deeply in my bones.  Nothing broke my heart more than when I would show a client a gallery and a Mom would be more focused on her imperfections than the way her toddler was squeezing her hand, or gazing at her in utter adoration.  Photoshop certainly makes correcting blemishes or smoothing out a bit of pudge here and there a LOT easier, but I always tried to keep my corrections to a minimum.  Fortunately I didn't have too many clients who had unrealistic expectations, but I COMPLETELY know what you mean!!  

My FAVORITE family sessions were the ones where the family would be doing something (like...  picking apples in an orchard in the fall) and I would just kinda circle around looking for those organic moments and details, and try to capture the essence of their family just being who they are...  With some posed group shots at the end of course.  I'm a nerd, but those are the kinds of photos I just LOVE.

I also am completely in agreement on all of the lighting stuff...  natural light all the way...  I only pulled out fancy lighting for weddings as needed.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jungle Fan said:

You were dedicated, I don't think I would want to keep clients happy.  Like you mentioned it's far more fun to just make yourself happy.

I still have my Dad's Pentax's, Zeiss Icon and meters.   Digital has its benefits but film still enchants me.  Husband   joined me and shoots Canon film camera's.  I've given some consideration to adapting his lenses to the newer DSLR's just to experiment.  Then I think... I don't want to carry all this gear around.. I should go mirrorless it's lighter!  Sometimes I challenge myself and go out for a whole week with one lens only.    Not experienced enough with flash so tend to stay with natural light.  

watershed.jpg

baby jane.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stowcenter93 said:

I am a die hard birder. And I finally got a good lense for my birding experiences. My favorite kind of photography.

I have a lot of respect for birder's, as birds move too fast for me! 

7 hours ago, Sal said:

The new DSLR thread has me wondering if anyone else here is super into photography?  It seemed like there were a few of you out there!  What do you shoot with?  What kind of photography are you into?  I ran my own family portrait side-business for several years and also worked as a second shooter with my friend who is a wedding photographer, and really loved it!  I shoot with a Nikon D700, and D300, and have always REALLY loved shooting nature and macro photography.

If you are a photographer - share some of your favorite photos taken here!  

A few of my faves...

PHP_4606.jpg

PHP_9040.jpg

PHP_0678.jpg

PHP_9398.jpg

PHP_6942.jpg

PHP_9423.jpg

PHP_3601.jpg

DSC_3941.jpg

@SalI've notice your backgrounds are so rich in colour, beautiful.  

Often times you don't have far to go, two from my hummingbird and butterfly garden I planted for my wife; a Monarch on a butterfly bush, it's one of the big ones in September that migrate from here to a grove in the Central Mexico highlands on our side of the Rocky Mountains, and a Sphinx moth feeding on nectar, also known as a hummingbird moth.  The third is of a Great blue heron at sunrise.

IMG_7028_A-Edit.jpeg

IMG_1403 (2)-Edit.jpg

IMG_5461 a-Edit C.jpg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Jungle Fan said:

Often times you don't have far to go, two from my hummingbird and butterfly garden I planted for my wife; a Monarch on a butterfly bush, it's one of the big ones in September that migrate from here to a grove in the Central Mexico highlands on our side of the Rocky Mountains, and a Sphinx moth feeding on nectar, also known as a hummingbird moth.  The third is of a Great blue heron at sunrise.

IMG_7028_A-Edit.jpeg

IMG_1403 (2)-Edit.jpg

IMG_5461 a-Edit C.jpg

These are fantastic!!  That shot of the Hummingbird Moth is incredible.  😍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kalita said:

I love my Nikon D90. It's an oldie but a goodie. Got it many years ago when I was living in Newfoundland!

193227_725677246035_1136839609_o.jpg

333311_746812785245_1128718240_o.jpg

411507_746813309195_1047026575_o.jpg

457212_696361500025_2049902291_o.jpg

461038_706907879995_762957609_o.jpg

466799_696366694615_1444801376_o.jpg

470248_746812670475_1313618668_o.jpg

473387_703942452735_1710356439_o.jpg

1000926_817828918345_2037613031_n.jpg

1174897_817825031135_423240419_n.jpg

10414564_950713586405_5089338154728533769_n (2).jpg

14691359_10100276601461465_2355167556296200180_o.jpg

14711573_10100276601785815_3979874409536086627_o.jpg

Beautiful photography Kalita!  D90’s are great cameras!!  That was my first camera way back in the day. 

• Like 1